Sochi 2014 Olympic Babes: Get To Know the Ladies of Great Britain's Curling Team
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 14, 2014 12:27 PM EST
The women of Great Britain's curling team won over China, flaring up their chances of reaching the semi-finals of the said event in the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics. The British women curlers won against China by one point, 8-7, in their round-robin match on Feb 13.
Exactly, who are the ladies that comprise Great Britain's Women Curling Team?
Muirhead is a 23-year-old Scottish curler. She made her debut in the world curling scene during the 2007 World Junior Curling Championships where she played as a third. She has quite a number of achievements up her sleeves. She is a four-time world champion for three consecutive years from 2007 to 2009 and in 2011. In 2013, her team won the World Women's Curling Championship.
She was chosen as a skip during the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics. However, the team did not make it to reach the semi-finals then. Four years later, Muirhead was selected again as the skip for Great Britain's Women's curling team. She was pleased with the team's performance especially how the team performed in its match against China.
"Confidence is building and a little bit of momentum as well," said Muirhead.
"We know we can play a lot better against them if we come up against them but it is essential that we keep this solid performance going and get better and better," she added.
Curling runs in Muirhead's family. Her father and two brothers were also curlers. As for her love life, Muirhead told Daily Record that training all year round makes it hard for her to really find that special someone.
Hamilton is a 25-year-old Scottish curler. She first played for Great Britain at the 2011 Winter Universaide. She played for the team as a substitute. She joined Team Muirhead afterwards, and the team is now on their third season together. Hamilton used to be a community pharmacist before she became a full-time curler.
Sloan is a native of Lockerbie, Scotland. She is 23 years old. She plays third for Team Muirhead and skips her own ladies rink, simultaneously.
Sloan, as a skip, has led the Great Britain to win gold medals at the 2009 European Youth Olympic Winter Festival and the 2011 Winter Universaide. She is confident that their team will do well at the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics.
Gray started curling at the age of 8. She is turning 23 on March. Gray cited tennis superstar Andy Murray as one of her sport icons. According to the official Web site of Great Britain's Olympics team, Gray graduated as an English Literature and Politics major from Glasgow University on the very same day that she was chosen to compete at the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics.
Adams is a three-time world champion, winning in 2008, 2009 and 2011. She plays second for Muirhead. Adams has been playing for Muirhead since her junior career. She has developed a passion for curling after her family moved to Scotland where the sport was introduced to her school. She loves to read, shop, and socialise with her friends during her free time.
Great Britain's Women's Curling Team will next face Japan on Feb 14 before taking on Korea and Switzerland the following day.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tasks Engineers to Create the Perfect Tennis Racquet [VIDEO]
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- LeBron James and Cleveland Cavaliers the Team to Beat in the East – Paul George
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Renewed Hope for Blues, as Paul Pogba's Agent Revealed that 'Anything is Possible'
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff