Indian Premiere League Is More Indian Now, No ‘Frivolous Cash’ on Foreign Players: Brendon McCullum
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | February 14, 2014 12:23 PM EST
New Zealand skipper Brendon McCullum feels that the owners of the Indian Premiere League teams are no longer interested in spending "frivolous cash" on foreign players. They approach toward forming a team has changed, he thinks, as there is more importance given on selecting young Indian players who have recently played well on the domestic level.
McCullum's opinion must have strengthened after the auctions for the players for IPL 7 took place. Only 50 foreign players were purchased at the auctions among a total of 154 players. The most striking trend at this year's auction was the emphasis given on picking up uncapped Indian players. Seventy-four such players were purchased by the team owners.
McCullum, on the other hand, was among the chosen few foreign players at the auctions. There were only six New Zealanders sold at the auctions, including Ross Taylor, Corey Anderson and Tim Southee. Even Taylor was unsold on the first day of the auction. Sixteen Kiwi players remain unsold at the end of the auction. McCullum called the IPL more Indian now. Earlier, more foreign players used to be purchased, while most of them spent maximum amount of time out of the team as there can only be four foreign players allowed in the final 11.
Interestingly, around 70 per cent of the players, including some of the key players in IPL history, found no buyer for them. Brett Lee, Tillakaratne Dilshan, Mahela Jayawardena and Cameron White failed to attract any bidders. Brett Lee was a part of Kolkata Knight Riders when it won the IPL in 2012. Iconic players like former Indian captain Sourav Ganguly and West Indies legend Brian Lara too did not find any buyers in the previous years.
The IPL happens to be the most popular Twenty20 tournament at present. IPL 7, which is one of the most viewed sports events on world television, is going to start in April.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Kevin Love to Cleveland Cavaliers Trade Update: Minnesota GM Flip Saunders Wants Wiggins/Bennett Package
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]