Canadian Woman Looking for Brother for 23 Years, Turns to Facebook for Help
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | February 14, 2014 10:16 AM EST
A Canadian aboriginal woman is looking for her younger brother. She started the search in 1991. However, she is yet to find him. Now, she took the help of Facebook.
Lori Campbell's mother turned a prostitute at the age of 14 after being sexually abused as a child. A certain John was responsible for her giving birth to her daughter. Her daughter had been sent to social services before she was adopted by a white family.
However, Ms Campbell has always been aware that she was not white. Her aboriginal background has always made her stand out as someone different in her family. On the other hand, she was not particularly encouraged to get involved in her heritage.
CBC News reported that Ms Campbell had begun searching for her family after finishing her graduation from school. It was 1991 when she moved to Regina for university. She eventually came to know the name of her mother only after eight years of quest. When she had the name, she discovered a phone number from a library phone book. Within hours, she spoke with her biological mother for the very first time in her life, and her mother told her that he had always known that her daughter would find her.
Ms Campbell came to know that all eight children of her mother were put in social care. She felt that, as the oldest child of her mother, she had the responsibility to find all of them. It is no short of a miracle that she found all her siblings in due course, except one of them. She is still searching for her younger brother who was born in 1974 in Regina. He was later adopted in 1978.
Now, she turned to Facebook to find out her lost brother. The photo that she posted on her Facebook profile had her holding a note reading that she found all of her "birth family" except one. The photo has already been shared for more than 10,000 times.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Has ‘Strict Style Guide,’ Expected To Wear Winter Wardrobes During Pregnancy
- Bizarre Sex Abuse: Man Licks Woman’s Foot in Canada, Runs Away With Her Shoe
- New Zealand Pre-schooler Suffers Attack For Wearing A Jewish Cap; Anti-Semitic Act Condemned
- Australia's Direct Action Policy To Increase Projected Emmisions By 2020 -- UN Report
- Canadian Soldier Dies in 'Freak Accident' at Work
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Best Black Friday 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More