Floyd Mayweather Sr Tells Manny Pacquiao to Leave Bob Arum and Fight Floyd, But the Filipino Fighter May Renew Contract With Top Rank
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 14, 2014 10:14 AM EST
Floyd Mayweather Sr said that he wants Manny Pacquiao to break his ties with Bob Arum to fight his son. The elder Mayweather revealed to "On The Ropes Boxing Radio" that leaving Arum is the best path for Manny so that the much-requested bout against Floyd can finally take place.
Boxer Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines smiles during a news conference in New York August 6, 2013. Pacquiao will fight Brandon Rios of the U.S. in a welterweight match at the Venetian Macao in Macau on November 24. REUTERS/SHANNON STAPLETON
"Pacquiao, I think he should take that fight with my son," said the elder Mayweather.
"Delete Bob Arum out of the situation and go for what he can go for." He advised Manny to do the best thing that he can do at the moment and he feels that leaving Arum could be a good deal for the Filipino fighter.
The former boxer-turned-trainer said that he doesn't have anything against the Hall of Fame promoter. He just felt that leaving Top Rank is the only think that Manny has to do so that the fight can come about.
"Oscar De La Hoya left Bob Arum, my son left Bob Arum."
"These were the biggest fighters in the world in the world at the time they left Bob Arum, and they are some of the biggest fighters still today." The elder Mayweather said that there is no bad blood between him and Arum.
"Bob Arum has been good to me at times when my son was working with him, but it is what it is."
Manny's contract with Top Rank expired on Dec. 31, 2013, but he has extended it until the end of 2014, and he may renew the contract past 2015. Arum told Ring TV that there is a great possibility that the eight-division Filipino champion will renew his contract with Top Rank. He said that he had a good meeting with Manny's financial adviser Michael Koncz to discuss the options.
"I just had a good meeting with Michael yesterday, and I'll leave it at that," said Arum.
"I have a contract with Manny, and he's saying that we may very well renew the contract past 2015," he added.
So if Manny resigns with Arum, he will only be fighting Brandon Rios, Timothy Bradley, Ruslan Provodnikov, and maybe Mike Alvarado or Mike Garcia. Manny will be pretty much stuck to fight Arum's fighters.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?