Floyd Mayweather Sr Tells Manny Pacquiao to Leave Bob Arum and Fight Floyd, But the Filipino Fighter May Renew Contract With Top Rank
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 14, 2014 10:14 AM EST
Floyd Mayweather Sr said that he wants Manny Pacquiao to break his ties with Bob Arum to fight his son. The elder Mayweather revealed to "On The Ropes Boxing Radio" that leaving Arum is the best path for Manny so that the much-requested bout against Floyd can finally take place.
Boxer Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines smiles during a news conference in New York August 6, 2013. Pacquiao will fight Brandon Rios of the U.S. in a welterweight match at the Venetian Macao in Macau on November 24. REUTERS/SHANNON STAPLETON
"Pacquiao, I think he should take that fight with my son," said the elder Mayweather.
"Delete Bob Arum out of the situation and go for what he can go for." He advised Manny to do the best thing that he can do at the moment and he feels that leaving Arum could be a good deal for the Filipino fighter.
The former boxer-turned-trainer said that he doesn't have anything against the Hall of Fame promoter. He just felt that leaving Top Rank is the only think that Manny has to do so that the fight can come about.
"Oscar De La Hoya left Bob Arum, my son left Bob Arum."
"These were the biggest fighters in the world in the world at the time they left Bob Arum, and they are some of the biggest fighters still today." The elder Mayweather said that there is no bad blood between him and Arum.
"Bob Arum has been good to me at times when my son was working with him, but it is what it is."
Manny's contract with Top Rank expired on Dec. 31, 2013, but he has extended it until the end of 2014, and he may renew the contract past 2015. Arum told Ring TV that there is a great possibility that the eight-division Filipino champion will renew his contract with Top Rank. He said that he had a good meeting with Manny's financial adviser Michael Koncz to discuss the options.
"I just had a good meeting with Michael yesterday, and I'll leave it at that," said Arum.
"I have a contract with Manny, and he's saying that we may very well renew the contract past 2015," he added.
So if Manny resigns with Arum, he will only be fighting Brandon Rios, Timothy Bradley, Ruslan Provodnikov, and maybe Mike Alvarado or Mike Garcia. Manny will be pretty much stuck to fight Arum's fighters.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Kevin Love to Cleveland Cavaliers Trade Update: Minnesota GM Flip Saunders Wants Wiggins/Bennett Package
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]