Floyd Mayweather Sr Tells Manny Pacquiao to Leave Bob Arum and Fight Floyd, But the Filipino Fighter May Renew Contract With Top Rank
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 14, 2014 10:14 AM EST
Floyd Mayweather Sr said that he wants Manny Pacquiao to break his ties with Bob Arum to fight his son. The elder Mayweather revealed to "On The Ropes Boxing Radio" that leaving Arum is the best path for Manny so that the much-requested bout against Floyd can finally take place.
Boxer Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines smiles during a news conference in New York August 6, 2013. Pacquiao will fight Brandon Rios of the U.S. in a welterweight match at the Venetian Macao in Macau on November 24. REUTERS/SHANNON STAPLETON
"Pacquiao, I think he should take that fight with my son," said the elder Mayweather.
"Delete Bob Arum out of the situation and go for what he can go for." He advised Manny to do the best thing that he can do at the moment and he feels that leaving Arum could be a good deal for the Filipino fighter.
The former boxer-turned-trainer said that he doesn't have anything against the Hall of Fame promoter. He just felt that leaving Top Rank is the only think that Manny has to do so that the fight can come about.
"Oscar De La Hoya left Bob Arum, my son left Bob Arum."
"These were the biggest fighters in the world in the world at the time they left Bob Arum, and they are some of the biggest fighters still today." The elder Mayweather said that there is no bad blood between him and Arum.
"Bob Arum has been good to me at times when my son was working with him, but it is what it is."
Manny's contract with Top Rank expired on Dec. 31, 2013, but he has extended it until the end of 2014, and he may renew the contract past 2015. Arum told Ring TV that there is a great possibility that the eight-division Filipino champion will renew his contract with Top Rank. He said that he had a good meeting with Manny's financial adviser Michael Koncz to discuss the options.
"I just had a good meeting with Michael yesterday, and I'll leave it at that," said Arum.
"I have a contract with Manny, and he's saying that we may very well renew the contract past 2015," he added.
So if Manny resigns with Arum, he will only be fighting Brandon Rios, Timothy Bradley, Ruslan Provodnikov, and maybe Mike Alvarado or Mike Garcia. Manny will be pretty much stuck to fight Arum's fighters.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports