Schapelle Corby Banned From Giving TV Interviews
By Anne Lu | February 14, 2014 9:04 AM EST
Australian Schapelle Corby is banned from doing a television interview because it will cause “restlessness” in the local community. The Indonesian government has threatened to revoke her parole if she goes ahead with it.
The 36-year-old convicted drug smuggler was granted parole on February 7, nine years after she was jailed in a Bali prison for carrying 4.1 kilos of marijuana in the Indonesian island.
There were reports that she made a deal with Australia’s Seven Network for an exclusive interview for $2 million, but it appears that that would have to be scrapped because local authorities in Indonesia has banned her from appearing on television.
Deputy justice and human rights minister Denny Indrayana said he and minister Amir Syamsuddin believe that an interview would breach the regulations governing prisoners on parole.
“If you’re going to do the interview, especially if it’s going to be paid, it will cause... restlessness in the community, so I have instructed the officer here at the Corrections Bureau to advise the family not to do it, because in the end, it will, to our understanding, cause polemic,” he was quoted by Fairfax Media as saying on Thursday.
“It’s going to cause polemic, so it’s possible that we will revoke her parole.”
Under Corby’s parole conditions, she must stay in Bali until the expiration of her sentence, which is in 2016, and has to stay for one more year under supervision. She was expected to stay with her sister, Mercedes, in Kuta, Southern Bali, until 2017 before she can go home in Gold Coast.
However, it appears that instead of her sister’s house, she has chosen an expensive accommodation. She was also pictured drinking beer in the clothes that she was wearing upon her release from Kerobokan Prison, causing media and public controversy in the Southeast Asian country.
Mr Indrayana said that while Corby has freedom of speech, “her release was with conditions.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Centerplate CEO Des Hague Caught Abusing Dog In Vancouver Building Elevator [VIDEO]
- Boyfriend's Welcome Home Tribute In Candles Destroys His House
- The Most Insane Facts About The American Civil War That You May Not Know
- Viral Video Kevin Droniak Grandma: Teenager Shows Grandma Their Videos Together, Grandma Gives Priceless Reaction
- Major Highlights On 1400 Minor’s Sex Assault
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko