Schapelle Corby Banned From Giving TV Interviews
By Anne Lu | February 14, 2014 9:04 AM EST
Australian Schapelle Corby is banned from doing a television interview because it will cause “restlessness” in the local community. The Indonesian government has threatened to revoke her parole if she goes ahead with it.
The 36-year-old convicted drug smuggler was granted parole on February 7, nine years after she was jailed in a Bali prison for carrying 4.1 kilos of marijuana in the Indonesian island.
There were reports that she made a deal with Australia’s Seven Network for an exclusive interview for $2 million, but it appears that that would have to be scrapped because local authorities in Indonesia has banned her from appearing on television.
Deputy justice and human rights minister Denny Indrayana said he and minister Amir Syamsuddin believe that an interview would breach the regulations governing prisoners on parole.
“If you’re going to do the interview, especially if it’s going to be paid, it will cause... restlessness in the community, so I have instructed the officer here at the Corrections Bureau to advise the family not to do it, because in the end, it will, to our understanding, cause polemic,” he was quoted by Fairfax Media as saying on Thursday.
“It’s going to cause polemic, so it’s possible that we will revoke her parole.”
Under Corby’s parole conditions, she must stay in Bali until the expiration of her sentence, which is in 2016, and has to stay for one more year under supervision. She was expected to stay with her sister, Mercedes, in Kuta, Southern Bali, until 2017 before she can go home in Gold Coast.
However, it appears that instead of her sister’s house, she has chosen an expensive accommodation. She was also pictured drinking beer in the clothes that she was wearing upon her release from Kerobokan Prison, causing media and public controversy in the Southeast Asian country.
Mr Indrayana said that while Corby has freedom of speech, “her release was with conditions.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Of Cambridge ‘Dissed’ By Camilla Parker-Bowles; Delivery Expected In April- Reports
- 'Green Alien Eggs' Spotted on Sydney's Dee Why Beach
- Drag Queens Fume That Facebook Is Banning Aliases And Threaten to Drop Out Of It
- British Teenager Wants Her Leg Cut To be Able To Compete At Paralympics – Watch Video
- Pope Francis, Catholic Church Key To Climate Change Effort
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert