Odd Future Banned Entry To New Zealand For Being A ‘Threat’
By Anne Lu | February 14, 2014 6:10 AM EST
Odd Future has been refused entry to New Zealand after the immigration authorities decided on Thursday that they pose a threat to public order. The rap collective was due to perform at Eminem’s Rapture festival in Auckland on Saturday.
“Odd Future has been deemed a potential threat to public order and the public interest for several reasons. Including incidents at past performances in which they have incited violence. In one instance, a police officer was hospitalised following a riot incited by Odd Future,” the Immigration New Zealand said in a statement.
The incident the Immigration was referring to was in 2011 at the group’s autograph-signing session at a comic shop in Boston in the U.S. A police officer was hurt and taken to the hospital, while a 13-year-old girl was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct.
The ban came days after Stop Demand, an anti-sexual violence advocacy group, asked Auckland councillors not to allow the rappers to perform at the hip-hop festival, citing the “rape and murder fantasy lyrics” in their songs.
The organisation also cited an incident in Sydney in 2013, in which rap leader Tyler the Creator abused a young Australian campaigner while onstage.
Tyler the Creator, meanwhile, expressed his sentiment over the immigration ban on Twitter.
OF IS BANNED FROM NEW ZEALAND, AGAIN. THEY SAID WE WERE 'TERRORIST THREATS AND BAD FOR THE SOCIETY' OR WHATEVER. SICK. THEY ARE ANTI GOLF
— Tyler, The Creator (@fucktyler) February 13, 2014
I LOVE NZ THO — Tyler, The Creator (@fucktyler) February 13, 2014
Odd Future, short for Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All or OFWGKTA, was announced as the replacement for Kendrick Lamar, who dropped out of the Auckland leg of the Rapture festival due to “unavoidable scheduling conflict.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Reports: Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Pince Harry Somber - Reports
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On