Odd Future Banned Entry To New Zealand For Being A ‘Threat’
By Anne Lu | February 14, 2014 6:10 AM EST
Odd Future has been refused entry to New Zealand after the immigration authorities decided on Thursday that they pose a threat to public order. The rap collective was due to perform at Eminem’s Rapture festival in Auckland on Saturday.
“Odd Future has been deemed a potential threat to public order and the public interest for several reasons. Including incidents at past performances in which they have incited violence. In one instance, a police officer was hospitalised following a riot incited by Odd Future,” the Immigration New Zealand said in a statement.
The incident the Immigration was referring to was in 2011 at the group’s autograph-signing session at a comic shop in Boston in the U.S. A police officer was hurt and taken to the hospital, while a 13-year-old girl was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct.
The ban came days after Stop Demand, an anti-sexual violence advocacy group, asked Auckland councillors not to allow the rappers to perform at the hip-hop festival, citing the “rape and murder fantasy lyrics” in their songs.
The organisation also cited an incident in Sydney in 2013, in which rap leader Tyler the Creator abused a young Australian campaigner while onstage.
Tyler the Creator, meanwhile, expressed his sentiment over the immigration ban on Twitter.
OF IS BANNED FROM NEW ZEALAND, AGAIN. THEY SAID WE WERE 'TERRORIST THREATS AND BAD FOR THE SOCIETY' OR WHATEVER. SICK. THEY ARE ANTI GOLF
— Tyler, The Creator (@fucktyler) February 13, 2014
I LOVE NZ THO — Tyler, The Creator (@fucktyler) February 13, 2014
Odd Future, short for Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All or OFWGKTA, was announced as the replacement for Kendrick Lamar, who dropped out of the Auckland leg of the Rapture festival due to “unavoidable scheduling conflict.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales