Odd Future Banned Entry To New Zealand For Being A ‘Threat’
By Anne Lu | February 14, 2014 6:10 AM EST
Odd Future has been refused entry to New Zealand after the immigration authorities decided on Thursday that they pose a threat to public order. The rap collective was due to perform at Eminem’s Rapture festival in Auckland on Saturday.
“Odd Future has been deemed a potential threat to public order and the public interest for several reasons. Including incidents at past performances in which they have incited violence. In one instance, a police officer was hospitalised following a riot incited by Odd Future,” the Immigration New Zealand said in a statement.
The incident the Immigration was referring to was in 2011 at the group’s autograph-signing session at a comic shop in Boston in the U.S. A police officer was hurt and taken to the hospital, while a 13-year-old girl was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct.
The ban came days after Stop Demand, an anti-sexual violence advocacy group, asked Auckland councillors not to allow the rappers to perform at the hip-hop festival, citing the “rape and murder fantasy lyrics” in their songs.
The organisation also cited an incident in Sydney in 2013, in which rap leader Tyler the Creator abused a young Australian campaigner while onstage.
Tyler the Creator, meanwhile, expressed his sentiment over the immigration ban on Twitter.
OF IS BANNED FROM NEW ZEALAND, AGAIN. THEY SAID WE WERE 'TERRORIST THREATS AND BAD FOR THE SOCIETY' OR WHATEVER. SICK. THEY ARE ANTI GOLF
— Tyler, The Creator (@fucktyler) February 13, 2014
I LOVE NZ THO — Tyler, The Creator (@fucktyler) February 13, 2014
Odd Future, short for Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All or OFWGKTA, was announced as the replacement for Kendrick Lamar, who dropped out of the Auckland leg of the Rapture festival due to “unavoidable scheduling conflict.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports