'How I Met Your Mother' Season 9: Creators 'No Comment' on 'Mother is Dead' Theory, Tease Pineapple Closure Before Series Finale [VIDEOS]
By Arlene Paredes | February 14, 2014 5:39 AM EST
"How I Met Your Mother" Season 9, Episode 18 airs on CBS on Feb. 24. There's a 2-week hiatus before the final six episodes of the hit comedy. Creators Carter Bays and Craig Thomas went on Reddit to answer the fans' questions. The duo said they will not comment on the mother is dead theory, but offered there might be something more about the pineapple before the series finale.
Spoiler alert: This feature contains spoilers on the last episodes of How I Met Your Mother. Season 9 returns with new episodes on Feb. 24, and there will be no gaps after that. Read at your own risk.
When popular celebrities or known personalities go on Reddit.com's "Ask Me Anything" (In this case, "Ask Us") forum, Redditors make the most of it. How I Met Your Mother creators Carter Bays and Craig Thomas did not disappoint, answering as many questions as they could in under six hours.
Through Reddit, many HIMYM fans learned that "Jennifer Love Hewitt did 'The Ghost Whisperer' instead of HIMYM!" Hewitt was apparently offered the role of Robin Scherbatsky aka Robin Sparkes. An inside joke on "Guys, guys, guys" was also revealed.
"Anytime you see one of our characters say "Guys guys guys," three times like that, they're tipping their hat to our amazing Assistant Director Michael Shea (who has directed a few episodes as well)," Carter Bays explained. To get the cast's attention during shoots, Michael would yell out, "Guys guys guys!"
How I Met Your Mother Season 9 spoilers have come sprouting within the forum, one of which is the pineapple closure. Is Trudy connected to the pineapple - how did it get there?
"You might find out what happened with the pineapple eventually. We had always said we'd never reveal it, but now I'd say it's fifty fifty," Bays said.
Both Bays and Thomas acknowledged the existence of the 'mother is dead' theory among fans of the sitcom. As expected, however, they did not confirm or deny that Cristin Milioti's mother character dies before 2030. The ending of How I Met Your Mother Season 9, which is also the end of the series, is attracting more theories in the process.
"(W)e invite, and are honored by, all possible theories!" Craig Thomas said. He also reiterated the original plan was to meet the mother in only the final scene, if at all.
"We would only have met the mother in the last scene of the series. Which, looking back on it now, seems unthinkable!"
What is the last scene in the How I Met Your Mother series ending? The creators wouldn't reveal. But they did say that they will be using something they've filmed eight years ago - with Penny (Lyndsy Fonseca) and Luke (David Henrie).
"We have not changed the very end of series at all," Thomas said, adding they reviewed the footage recently, and it "was kind of haunting to watch!"
WATCH: Barney Stinson's Chopsticks Joke Through the Years (CBS clips on YouTube)
WATCH: Cristin Milioti, Jason Segel, Alyson Hannigan, Cobie Smulders, Josh Radnor and Neil Patrick Harris
How I Met Your Mother Season 9 finale airs on March 31, 2014 on the U.S. network CBS. This is a 60-minute special, as confirmed by HIMYM creators Carter Bays and Craig Thomas.
More TV Guide and Spoiler Features
'How I Met Your Mother' Series Finale, Ending Details: Will the Future Mrs Mosby Die Before 2030? [VIDEOS]
'Grey's Anatomy' Season 10, Episode 13 Spoilers: Sarah Drew Hints Wedding Resolution, Karev Braves Tragedy [WATCH PROMO]
'Arrow' Season 2, Episode 14 Spoilers: Oliver Queen Fights Another Big Villain, Watch Black Canary Work the Salmon Ladder [VIDEOS]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Will Name Second Child Diana, Camilla Parker-Bowles Not Invited to Prince George’s Birthday - Reports
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Ian Somerhalder and Nina Dobrev Drama: Heartbroken The Vampire Diaries Actress Reacts to Nikki Reed Dating News—Report
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales