Box Office: 'Veeram', 'Jilla' Complete 35-Day Theatrical Run
By sangeetha seshagiri | February 13, 2014 10:49 PM EST
Ajith's "Veeram" and Vijay's "Jilla" will be completing 35-day theatrical run on Thursday (13 February).
Both the films have been running successfully in theatres despite several new releases.
"Veeram" and "Jilla" released as a special Pongal treat for fans on 10 January. Prior to the release, distributors were wary that both the films will eat into each other's revenue if they hit the screens on the same day.
However, the films did fantastic business in the first 10 days and raked in good collections. Although there has been a drop in the collections, "Veeram" and "Jilla" have managed to hold well at the box office.
As there were no big releases in the last one month, the Vijay and the Ajith starrers had a whale of a time. Although there have been several new releases, they were not able to challenge "Jilla" and "Veeram" in their collections.
Both the biggies have turned out to be successful films in Ajith and Vijay's careers. They are expected to successfully complete 50 days in a few theatres in India.
"Veeram" was director Siva's second outing in Tamil post the success of "Siruthai." The director proved that his success was no fluke with "Veeram" turning out to be another hit.
The action-packed entertainer grabbed the attention of the family audience thanks to its content, Ajith's performance and Santhanam's one liners. Ajith is expected to team up once again with Siva in the future.
"Veeram" performance was better than "Jilla" in Tamil Nadu. The film netted over ₹39 crore in the state, whereas "Jilla" earned over ₹35 crore.
However, the Vijay starrer was a big success in Kerala thanks to the presence of Malayalam superstar Mohanlal in the film. The performances of "Jilla" and "Veeram" were decent in other states including Karnataka and overseas markets such as UK, US and Australia.
Both the films did exceptionally well in Malaysia, which is one of major markets for Tamil films. On the whole, "Jilla" worldwide collections are said to be higher than "Veeram."
The success of "Jilla" has placed director RT Neason in the top league of commercial directors and he is expected to re-create the film's magic in his new projects.
Post the success of "Veeram" and "Jilla", fans are eagerly waiting to get updates about Ajith and Vijay's upcoming films. While Vijay has started shooting for the Murugadoss directorial, Ajith-Gautham Menon's film will kick off by February end.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Spoilers For Aug. 22, 2014: Liam’s Confession About Paris To Hope And Deacon’s Revelation To Brooke In ‘B&B’ [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Spoilers For Aug. 21, 2014: A Party For Hope And Wyatt Affects Liam’s Pride In ‘B&B’ [WATCH VIDEO]
- Chuck Zito Apologises For Offensive Comment On Christy Mack Beating
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 1 Teaser Video: ‘What’s Coming Next’
- ‘True Blood’ Final Episode Thank You: Watch Sookie Ask Whether God Made Us All, Find Out Why 'True Blood' Is Ending [VIDEO]
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch