Box Office: 'Veeram', 'Jilla' Complete 35-Day Theatrical Run
By sangeetha seshagiri | February 13, 2014 10:49 PM EST
Ajith's "Veeram" and Vijay's "Jilla" will be completing 35-day theatrical run on Thursday (13 February).
Both the films have been running successfully in theatres despite several new releases.
"Veeram" and "Jilla" released as a special Pongal treat for fans on 10 January. Prior to the release, distributors were wary that both the films will eat into each other's revenue if they hit the screens on the same day.
However, the films did fantastic business in the first 10 days and raked in good collections. Although there has been a drop in the collections, "Veeram" and "Jilla" have managed to hold well at the box office.
As there were no big releases in the last one month, the Vijay and the Ajith starrers had a whale of a time. Although there have been several new releases, they were not able to challenge "Jilla" and "Veeram" in their collections.
Both the biggies have turned out to be successful films in Ajith and Vijay's careers. They are expected to successfully complete 50 days in a few theatres in India.
"Veeram" was director Siva's second outing in Tamil post the success of "Siruthai." The director proved that his success was no fluke with "Veeram" turning out to be another hit.
The action-packed entertainer grabbed the attention of the family audience thanks to its content, Ajith's performance and Santhanam's one liners. Ajith is expected to team up once again with Siva in the future.
"Veeram" performance was better than "Jilla" in Tamil Nadu. The film netted over ₹39 crore in the state, whereas "Jilla" earned over ₹35 crore.
However, the Vijay starrer was a big success in Kerala thanks to the presence of Malayalam superstar Mohanlal in the film. The performances of "Jilla" and "Veeram" were decent in other states including Karnataka and overseas markets such as UK, US and Australia.
Both the films did exceptionally well in Malaysia, which is one of major markets for Tamil films. On the whole, "Jilla" worldwide collections are said to be higher than "Veeram."
The success of "Jilla" has placed director RT Neason in the top league of commercial directors and he is expected to re-create the film's magic in his new projects.
Post the success of "Veeram" and "Jilla", fans are eagerly waiting to get updates about Ajith and Vijay's upcoming films. While Vijay has started shooting for the Murugadoss directorial, Ajith-Gautham Menon's film will kick off by February end.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘America's Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Winner: Betting Odds And Judges Predict Who Could Win The Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Nine Moments From Episode 1, The Locomotion Interruption
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 15, 2014: Liam Confronts Quinn About Her Secret Regarding Paris [WATCH VIDEO]
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- HTC ‘Double Exposure’ Event On October 8 Could Unveil HTC Eye With 5.2-inch FHD Display
- Apple iOS 8 Can Trump Google Android 5.0 L Upon September 17 Release
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect