Box Office: 'Veeram', 'Jilla' Complete 35-Day Theatrical Run
By sangeetha seshagiri | February 13, 2014 10:49 PM EST
Ajith's "Veeram" and Vijay's "Jilla" will be completing 35-day theatrical run on Thursday (13 February).
Both the films have been running successfully in theatres despite several new releases.
"Veeram" and "Jilla" released as a special Pongal treat for fans on 10 January. Prior to the release, distributors were wary that both the films will eat into each other's revenue if they hit the screens on the same day.
However, the films did fantastic business in the first 10 days and raked in good collections. Although there has been a drop in the collections, "Veeram" and "Jilla" have managed to hold well at the box office.
As there were no big releases in the last one month, the Vijay and the Ajith starrers had a whale of a time. Although there have been several new releases, they were not able to challenge "Jilla" and "Veeram" in their collections.
Both the biggies have turned out to be successful films in Ajith and Vijay's careers. They are expected to successfully complete 50 days in a few theatres in India.
"Veeram" was director Siva's second outing in Tamil post the success of "Siruthai." The director proved that his success was no fluke with "Veeram" turning out to be another hit.
The action-packed entertainer grabbed the attention of the family audience thanks to its content, Ajith's performance and Santhanam's one liners. Ajith is expected to team up once again with Siva in the future.
"Veeram" performance was better than "Jilla" in Tamil Nadu. The film netted over ₹39 crore in the state, whereas "Jilla" earned over ₹35 crore.
However, the Vijay starrer was a big success in Kerala thanks to the presence of Malayalam superstar Mohanlal in the film. The performances of "Jilla" and "Veeram" were decent in other states including Karnataka and overseas markets such as UK, US and Australia.
Both the films did exceptionally well in Malaysia, which is one of major markets for Tamil films. On the whole, "Jilla" worldwide collections are said to be higher than "Veeram."
The success of "Jilla" has placed director RT Neason in the top league of commercial directors and he is expected to re-create the film's magic in his new projects.
Post the success of "Veeram" and "Jilla", fans are eagerly waiting to get updates about Ajith and Vijay's upcoming films. While Vijay has started shooting for the Murugadoss directorial, Ajith-Gautham Menon's film will kick off by February end.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- Queen Elizabeth and Kate Middleton Clash Again: Duchess Scared of Difficult Pregnancy, Adopting Second 'Royal' Baby - Reports
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Rob Kardashian's Ex-Girlfriend Adrienne Bailon FInally Removes Cheating Reality Star's Name from Her Butt
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8