Box Office: 'Veeram', 'Jilla' Complete 35-Day Theatrical Run
By sangeetha seshagiri | February 13, 2014 10:49 PM EST
Ajith's "Veeram" and Vijay's "Jilla" will be completing 35-day theatrical run on Thursday (13 February).
Both the films have been running successfully in theatres despite several new releases.
"Veeram" and "Jilla" released as a special Pongal treat for fans on 10 January. Prior to the release, distributors were wary that both the films will eat into each other's revenue if they hit the screens on the same day.
However, the films did fantastic business in the first 10 days and raked in good collections. Although there has been a drop in the collections, "Veeram" and "Jilla" have managed to hold well at the box office.
As there were no big releases in the last one month, the Vijay and the Ajith starrers had a whale of a time. Although there have been several new releases, they were not able to challenge "Jilla" and "Veeram" in their collections.
Both the biggies have turned out to be successful films in Ajith and Vijay's careers. They are expected to successfully complete 50 days in a few theatres in India.
"Veeram" was director Siva's second outing in Tamil post the success of "Siruthai." The director proved that his success was no fluke with "Veeram" turning out to be another hit.
The action-packed entertainer grabbed the attention of the family audience thanks to its content, Ajith's performance and Santhanam's one liners. Ajith is expected to team up once again with Siva in the future.
"Veeram" performance was better than "Jilla" in Tamil Nadu. The film netted over ₹39 crore in the state, whereas "Jilla" earned over ₹35 crore.
However, the Vijay starrer was a big success in Kerala thanks to the presence of Malayalam superstar Mohanlal in the film. The performances of "Jilla" and "Veeram" were decent in other states including Karnataka and overseas markets such as UK, US and Australia.
Both the films did exceptionally well in Malaysia, which is one of major markets for Tamil films. On the whole, "Jilla" worldwide collections are said to be higher than "Veeram."
The success of "Jilla" has placed director RT Neason in the top league of commercial directors and he is expected to re-create the film's magic in his new projects.
Post the success of "Veeram" and "Jilla", fans are eagerly waiting to get updates about Ajith and Vijay's upcoming films. While Vijay has started shooting for the Murugadoss directorial, Ajith-Gautham Menon's film will kick off by February end.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- Kristen Stewart ‘Not In Love’ With ‘Equals’ Co-star Nicholas Hoult -- Reports
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage