iPhone 6 Release Date: iPhone 5S to Stay, 5C to be Discontinued, Say Sources
By Raymond Ronamai | February 13, 2014 6:51 PM EST
Even as conflicting reports are doing the rounds on the release date of iPhone 6, sources have claimed that the launch of Apple's next-generation smartphone may lead to discontinuation of its cheaper-range smartphone - iPhone 5C, which was released last year along with 5S.
Apple cuts back on manufacturing of the colourful iPhone 5c.
Chinese newspaper, South China Morning Post reported citing two insiders that iPhone 5C will be discontinued with the release of iPhone 6 in September, while the costlier variant - 5S - will stay. However, it might be made from cheaper material.
Apple Inc. repurchased US$14 billion worth of its stock last week, following disappointing first-quarter results that could been an outcome of iPhone 5C's poor sales. Several reports suggested that sales of the cheaper-range smartphone was not impressive, as its price is not very different from that of the high-end variant.
The Cupertino giant has not revealed the release date of iPhone 6 yet, but South China Morning Post claimed citing industry insiders, who have seen the prototypes, that it will be launched in September. Technology websites like Tech Radar and ET News had also reported that the new smartphone would be launched in September.
However, South Korea's brokerage KDB Daewoo Securities, Chinese Analyst Sun Changxu, and Jefferies analyst Peter Misek said that Apple would release its much-awaited device at the WWDC event in June.
Apple's much-awaited smartphone is expected to sport a bigger screen display with scratch-resistant sapphire crystal glass and feature 802.11ac Wi-Fi Connectivity.
According to a note to investors by South Korea's brokerage KDB Daewoo Securities (translated by Oled Display), iPhone 6 will sport a 4.7/4.8 or 5.5″ display with a 1920x1080p (440ppi), or a 2272×1280 (510ppi). It is expected to be powered by A8 chip (64-bit), run on iOS 7.2 and have 1,800mAh battery.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues