National Corvette Museum Develops Monstrous Sinkhole that Swallows 8 Cars [VIDEO]
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | February 13, 2014 6:28 PM EST
A huge sinkhole opened up at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, Kentucky, swallowing eight cars with it on Wednesday morning.
A 40-foot sinkhole that opened up under the National Corvette Museum and swallowed eight Corvettes, including the historic 1992 White 1 Millionth Corvette, in Bowling Green, Kentucky February 12, 2014 is seen in this handout provided by the museum.
The monstrous cavity occurred in a structure called the Skydome, which is said to be separate from the main building. Staff members arrived at the museum to discover that the huge sinkhole had formed at 5:39 am, eating up the cars on display as the floor went rumbling down, the New York Times reported.
The hole was estimated to be 40 feet wide and nearly 30 feet deep, reports suggests. The skydome structure is said to have no basement.
"It seems almost Biblical in a way, to have the ground open up and swallow the cream of the collection of the museum," Corvette historian Jerry Burton told the news outlet. "What are the odds?"
It is not unusual for sinkholes to appear in the United States, but this one seems to be one of rare occasions, where the entire incident was filmed by both the security camera in the building and later by remote-control helicopter that showed the cars that crashed into the sinkhole.
Watch the Security Camara footage swallowing the cars, released by National Corvette Museum below:
Also watch footage from a remote control helicopter showing the destruction below:
The Museum has been showcasing the Corvette, America's Sports Car since 1953. The museum was established as a 501 © 3 not-for profit foundation with a mission of celebrating the invention of the Corvette and preserving its identity.
Autoblog has reported that all of the cars in the Ksydone that were not swallowed by the sinkhole have been evacuated with only two exceptions. Autorities are also trying to figure out how to safely extract the cars swallowed.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Spotted All Smiles, Sickness Seems Over
- 14 Contestants For Miss Hitler 2014 Beauty Pageant Organised By Russian Equivalent Of Facebook
- ISIS Crucifies Teenage Boy For Filming Syrian Base; Image Of Baby Girl Being Beheaded Found [VIDEO]
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Planning Christmas With Her Family In Anmer Hall, Norfolk--Report
- How Australian Father Stabbed 11-Year-Old Son Dead, More Details Emerge
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks