National Corvette Museum Develops Monstrous Sinkhole that Swallows 8 Cars [VIDEO]
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | February 13, 2014 6:28 PM EST
A huge sinkhole opened up at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, Kentucky, swallowing eight cars with it on Wednesday morning.
A 40-foot sinkhole that opened up under the National Corvette Museum and swallowed eight Corvettes, including the historic 1992 White 1 Millionth Corvette, in Bowling Green, Kentucky February 12, 2014 is seen in this handout provided by the museum.
The monstrous cavity occurred in a structure called the Skydome, which is said to be separate from the main building. Staff members arrived at the museum to discover that the huge sinkhole had formed at 5:39 am, eating up the cars on display as the floor went rumbling down, the New York Times reported.
The hole was estimated to be 40 feet wide and nearly 30 feet deep, reports suggests. The skydome structure is said to have no basement.
"It seems almost Biblical in a way, to have the ground open up and swallow the cream of the collection of the museum," Corvette historian Jerry Burton told the news outlet. "What are the odds?"
It is not unusual for sinkholes to appear in the United States, but this one seems to be one of rare occasions, where the entire incident was filmed by both the security camera in the building and later by remote-control helicopter that showed the cars that crashed into the sinkhole.
Watch the Security Camara footage swallowing the cars, released by National Corvette Museum below:
Also watch footage from a remote control helicopter showing the destruction below:
The Museum has been showcasing the Corvette, America's Sports Car since 1953. The museum was established as a 501 © 3 not-for profit foundation with a mission of celebrating the invention of the Corvette and preserving its identity.
Autoblog has reported that all of the cars in the Ksydone that were not swallowed by the sinkhole have been evacuated with only two exceptions. Autorities are also trying to figure out how to safely extract the cars swallowed.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Video Showing Mentally Disabled African American Shot 46 Times By Eight Police Officers For Just Holding A Penknife
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Forced To Return To Royal Engagements, Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Robbery Attempt in Sydney Bank, Armed Robbers on The Loose
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2