IPL 7 Auction: South African Hendricks Hits Pay Dirt in Uncapped Players Auction
By Deepak Vikraman | February 13, 2014 6:19 PM EST
The likes of Ross Taylor, Mahela Jayawardene and Cameron White will be wondering just what they did wrong not to get a bid in the first day of the IPL 7 auction. While some of the biggest names in cricket were overlooked by the IPL franchises, they shelled out quite a bit of money on plenty of the uncapped players, including a few foreigners, with South Africa's Beuran Hendricks including a bidding war amongst the teams.
Below is a brief summary of the final phase of the morning session of Day 2 of the auction, with the accelerated process set to begin in the afternoon.
Karun Nair: Mumbai Indians and the Rajasthan Royals went head to head for the talented Karnataka batsman, with the latter getting the player for a maybe-this-just-might-be-worth-it price of Rs 75 lakh.
Evin Lewis, Siddesh Lad, Sachin Baby, Apoorv Wankhede, South African Rilee Roussouw, VA Jagadeesh, Hanuma Vihari, Arun Karthik and Ankeet Bawane all went unsold as the IPL franchises kept the final bit of money left for the players they have definitely targeted before the start of the day.
Kona Srikar Bharat, Smit Patel, Mahesh Rawat, Uday Kaul and Shreevats Goswami all went unsold, before the Rajasthan Royals, without much surprise, raised the paddle to bring back their player Dishant Yagnik, who did pretty well for RR last season.
That seemed to reawaken the bidding process, with the Sunrisers taking Amit Paunikar for Rs 20 lakh, before the lull was cast anew again as Nitin Saini went unsold at Rs 30 lakh.
There was more interest in this category, with bids not as rare as snow in South India.
Vijay Shankar: Local lad bought by CSK for Rs 10 lakh.
Akshar R Patel: Mumbai Indians and Kings XI Punjab bid for the player, with the price raised from Rs 20 lakh all the way to Rs 75 lakh - Kings XI getting their man.
Bipul Sharma: Unsold.
Jalaj Saxena: Bids came in from the Mumbai Indians and the Delhi Daredevils, with the price raised all the way from Rs 20 lakh to Rs 90 lakh with MI outbidding the Daredevils.
Shrikant Wag, Sumit Narwal, Vidyut Shivaramakrishnan, Raiphi Vincent Gomez, Amitoze Singh, R Satish and Biplab Samantray all went unsold as the morning session came to an end.
Ashish Reddy and Pawan Suyal went unsold, while Ronit More and Sandeep Warrier went to CSK and RCB respectively for the base price of Rs 10 lakh.
Harshal Patel induced a bidding war between the Royals and the Delhi Daredevils, with Rajasthan winning the bid at Rs 40 lakh. However, RCB used their Right to Match card to take the player.
Veer Pratap Singh went to KKR for Rs 40 lakh, after the 2012 IPL champions saw off competition from Delhi.
South Africa's Beuran Hendricks was next up, with the pace bowler, who has shown tremendous form in his country's domestic circuit raising interest from Mumbai Indians, Delhi Daredevils and Kings XI Punjab. The price went from Rs 30 lakh to Rs 1.8 crore, with Kings XI buying the player much to the chagrin of the Daredevils.
Vikramjeet Malik expectedly went back to the Royals, with Rajasthan making the lone bid at Rs 20 lakh.
Not a single player in the second set of spinners was bid for, with Ankit Sharma, Rahil Shah, S Lahiri, Harmeet Singh, Prasanth Padmanabhan, Udit Patel, Abrar Kazi, KP Appanna, Syed Mohammad, and Vishal Dabholkar all going unsold.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Vacation Plans: Visit Prince Charles & Camilla Parker-Bowles
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tasks Engineers to Create the Perfect Tennis Racquet [VIDEO]
- LeBron James and Cleveland Cavaliers the Team to Beat in the East – Paul George
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Renewed Hope for Blues, as Paul Pogba's Agent Revealed that 'Anything is Possible'
- UFC 183: Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz Receives Mixed Reactions on Twitter
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports
- LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install