IPL 7 Auction: South African Hendricks Hits Pay Dirt in Uncapped Players Auction
By Deepak Vikraman | February 13, 2014 6:19 PM EST
The likes of Ross Taylor, Mahela Jayawardene and Cameron White will be wondering just what they did wrong not to get a bid in the first day of the IPL 7 auction. While some of the biggest names in cricket were overlooked by the IPL franchises, they shelled out quite a bit of money on plenty of the uncapped players, including a few foreigners, with South Africa's Beuran Hendricks including a bidding war amongst the teams.
Below is a brief summary of the final phase of the morning session of Day 2 of the auction, with the accelerated process set to begin in the afternoon.
Karun Nair: Mumbai Indians and the Rajasthan Royals went head to head for the talented Karnataka batsman, with the latter getting the player for a maybe-this-just-might-be-worth-it price of Rs 75 lakh.
Evin Lewis, Siddesh Lad, Sachin Baby, Apoorv Wankhede, South African Rilee Roussouw, VA Jagadeesh, Hanuma Vihari, Arun Karthik and Ankeet Bawane all went unsold as the IPL franchises kept the final bit of money left for the players they have definitely targeted before the start of the day.
Kona Srikar Bharat, Smit Patel, Mahesh Rawat, Uday Kaul and Shreevats Goswami all went unsold, before the Rajasthan Royals, without much surprise, raised the paddle to bring back their player Dishant Yagnik, who did pretty well for RR last season.
That seemed to reawaken the bidding process, with the Sunrisers taking Amit Paunikar for Rs 20 lakh, before the lull was cast anew again as Nitin Saini went unsold at Rs 30 lakh.
There was more interest in this category, with bids not as rare as snow in South India.
Vijay Shankar: Local lad bought by CSK for Rs 10 lakh.
Akshar R Patel: Mumbai Indians and Kings XI Punjab bid for the player, with the price raised from Rs 20 lakh all the way to Rs 75 lakh - Kings XI getting their man.
Bipul Sharma: Unsold.
Jalaj Saxena: Bids came in from the Mumbai Indians and the Delhi Daredevils, with the price raised all the way from Rs 20 lakh to Rs 90 lakh with MI outbidding the Daredevils.
Shrikant Wag, Sumit Narwal, Vidyut Shivaramakrishnan, Raiphi Vincent Gomez, Amitoze Singh, R Satish and Biplab Samantray all went unsold as the morning session came to an end.
Ashish Reddy and Pawan Suyal went unsold, while Ronit More and Sandeep Warrier went to CSK and RCB respectively for the base price of Rs 10 lakh.
Harshal Patel induced a bidding war between the Royals and the Delhi Daredevils, with Rajasthan winning the bid at Rs 40 lakh. However, RCB used their Right to Match card to take the player.
Veer Pratap Singh went to KKR for Rs 40 lakh, after the 2012 IPL champions saw off competition from Delhi.
South Africa's Beuran Hendricks was next up, with the pace bowler, who has shown tremendous form in his country's domestic circuit raising interest from Mumbai Indians, Delhi Daredevils and Kings XI Punjab. The price went from Rs 30 lakh to Rs 1.8 crore, with Kings XI buying the player much to the chagrin of the Daredevils.
Vikramjeet Malik expectedly went back to the Royals, with Rajasthan making the lone bid at Rs 20 lakh.
Not a single player in the second set of spinners was bid for, with Ankit Sharma, Rahil Shah, S Lahiri, Harmeet Singh, Prasanth Padmanabhan, Udit Patel, Abrar Kazi, KP Appanna, Syed Mohammad, and Vishal Dabholkar all going unsold.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Calls Out On Floyd Mayweather Jr. Again After Unbeaten Boxer Mocks Him With His KO Video
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- 2014 NFL Thanksgiving Games Results: Detroit Lions, Philadelphia Eagles, Seattle Seahawks Notch All-Important Wins With Major Postseason Implications
- Derrick Rose Is Lying About His Health Says ESPN Analyst Stephen A. Smith
- Andy Murray, Ana Ivanovic, And Other Tennis Stars Arrive In Manila For The IPTL; Murray Meets Manny Pacquiao
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S6 Will Shatter Records with 64-Bit Snapdragon, 21MP Camera and Bendable Design
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast