Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon 2/13/14
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | February 13, 2014 6:18 PM EST
The Australian share market snapped a healthy five day winning streak today, to close marginally lower on the back of a disappointing jobs report.
UK unemployment rates are now tied to the Bank of England governor Mark Carney's forward guidance. Rates will drop when jobless rates drop to below 7% (Photo: Reuters)
3,700 jobs were lost in the Australian economy in January, versus expectations of a gain of 20,000. The unemployment rate rose to a 10 year high of 6 per cent, sending the Australian dollar back below US90c.
It was a busy day on the reporting calendar. Australia's largest telco Telstra (TLS) delighted investors with an increased dividend, its first in 8 years. TLS shareholders will receive an interim dividend of 14.5 cents per share after the company posted a slightly worse than expected 1H profit of $1.7 billion, an increase of almost 10 per cent.
Stock market operator ASX Limited (ASX) lifted its 1H profit by almost 11% to $189.6 million thanks to a large number of listings and improved market activity. Shareholders will receive a higher interim dividend of 88.2c per share to be paid on 26th March. ASX shares rose 1.6 per cent to $36.25.
Qantas (QAN) shares rallied and were the best performer on the ASX 200 after investors read into comments from Federal Treasurer Joe Hockey that the airline could be thrown a lifeline. QAN rose 6.3 per cent to $1.185. Virgin Australia (VAH) closed steady at 34.5 cents.
Rio Tinto (RIO) shares fell ahead of the release of its full year numbers due after the bell.
David Jones (DJS) fell almost one per cent despite a 5 per cent lift in 2Q sales to $618 million.
On the market overall, a total of almost 2 billion shares changed hands, with a value of $4.7 billion. 480 were up, 458 were down and 348 were unchanged.
At 4.15pm AEDT the SFE 200 Futures Index was at 5264, up one point.
Ahead tonight, advance retail sales figures are due to be released in the US.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 23, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report –Afternoon July 24, 2014
- Major European & U.S. Airlines Cancel Flights to Israel after Rocket Attack on Tel Aviv Airport
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 24, 2014
- Alibaba Okays Yahoo Request to Sell 140 Million Shares Via IPO, 68 Million to Be Sold to Shareholders
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales