Google Doodle Honours Sarojini Naidu on Her 135th Birth Anniversary
By greeshma m | February 13, 2014 6:13 PM EST
Search engine giant Google on Thursday marked the 135th birth anniversary of India's Nightingale Sarojini Naidu with a new doodle on its homepage.
Doodle featured Naidu's portrait in the place of the second 'O' within Google's official logo and a pen in place of the letter 'L' to showcase Naidu's contributions to literature. Sarojini Naidu was born on 13th February, 1879 in Hyderabad, as Sarojini Chattopadhyaya.
An Indian independence activist and poet, Naidu was the first Governor of United Provinces of Agra and Oudh (now Uttar Pradesh) and the first woman to become the governor of an Indian state. She played an important role in Civil Disobedience Movement and faced arrest during the "Quit India" movement.
She began writing at the age of thirteen. Her first collection of poems titled 'Golden threshold' was published in 1905. At the age of 19, Naidu married Dr. Govindarajulu Naidu. The couple had five children- Jayasurya, Padmaja, Randheer, Nilawar and Leelamani. Her daughter Padmaja followed her footprints and became the Governor of West Bengal, as well as a poet. "The Feather of The Dawn" was edited and published posthumously in 1961 by her daughter Padmaja.
Some of her literary works include, The Bird of Time: Songs of Life, Death and the Spring, The Broken Wing: Songs of Love, Death and the Spring, Muhammad Jinnah: An Ambassador of Unity, Feast of Youth, The Sceptred Flute: Songs of India, Allahabad: Kitabistan, The Magic Tree and The Wizard Mask.
She died of a heart attack in Lucknow on 2 March, 1949.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery