Bizarre Lawsuit Wins: Rectal Thermometer Gets Man $18,607, While Michael Jackson Fans Win One Euro
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | February 13, 2014 5:22 PM EST
John Beshara was awarded $18,607 in a lawsuit against a Canada hospital. The ex-con was allegedly handcuffed to one bed while his temperature was taken with a rectal thermometer. Mr Beshara accused the Montreal hospital of making him feel "violated." Mr Beshara, however, demanded $200,000 for his "violation."
The incident took place in September 2006 when Mr Beshara was in the north-end Bordeaux jail, serving time for robbery. Apparently, he consumed something that he believed was methadone. It was a part of his treatment on heroin addiction, according to court documents.
QMI Agency reported that Mr Beshara consumed an inmate's medicines by mistake. Thus, he landed in the Montreal hospital where a male nurse recorded his temperature with a rectal thermometer while correctional officers were holding him down. The judge, on the other hand, did not agree that Mr Beshara had been sexually violated. He deserved compensation anyway because he had been probed without his approval, he said.
If you thought that the lawsuit was weird, take this. BBC reported that five fans of Michael Jackson won a case in a court in France after they accused Dr Conrad Murray, MJ's physician, of being responsible for the "emotional damage suffered by them due to his death." Even though 34 fans filed the case, only five of them could prove their emotional suffering, the Orleans court said. As a part of the compensation, each of them was awarded one euro to be paid by Dr Murray.
The amount was determined for the fans: two from Switzerland, one from Belgium and two from France. They all belong to the Michael Jackson Community fan club in France. Their "emotional damage" was apparently proven with the help of "medical certificates" and "witness statements." Lawyer Emmanuel Ludot said that, according to his knowledge, it must have been the first time that emotional damage had been connected with a pop star, AFP news agency reported.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS