Bizarre Lawsuit Wins: Rectal Thermometer Gets Man $18,607, While Michael Jackson Fans Win One Euro
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | February 13, 2014 5:22 PM EST
John Beshara was awarded $18,607 in a lawsuit against a Canada hospital. The ex-con was allegedly handcuffed to one bed while his temperature was taken with a rectal thermometer. Mr Beshara accused the Montreal hospital of making him feel "violated." Mr Beshara, however, demanded $200,000 for his "violation."
The incident took place in September 2006 when Mr Beshara was in the north-end Bordeaux jail, serving time for robbery. Apparently, he consumed something that he believed was methadone. It was a part of his treatment on heroin addiction, according to court documents.
QMI Agency reported that Mr Beshara consumed an inmate's medicines by mistake. Thus, he landed in the Montreal hospital where a male nurse recorded his temperature with a rectal thermometer while correctional officers were holding him down. The judge, on the other hand, did not agree that Mr Beshara had been sexually violated. He deserved compensation anyway because he had been probed without his approval, he said.
If you thought that the lawsuit was weird, take this. BBC reported that five fans of Michael Jackson won a case in a court in France after they accused Dr Conrad Murray, MJ's physician, of being responsible for the "emotional damage suffered by them due to his death." Even though 34 fans filed the case, only five of them could prove their emotional suffering, the Orleans court said. As a part of the compensation, each of them was awarded one euro to be paid by Dr Murray.
The amount was determined for the fans: two from Switzerland, one from Belgium and two from France. They all belong to the Michael Jackson Community fan club in France. Their "emotional damage" was apparently proven with the help of "medical certificates" and "witness statements." Lawyer Emmanuel Ludot said that, according to his knowledge, it must have been the first time that emotional damage had been connected with a pop star, AFP news agency reported.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC One E8 (Plastic Variant of HTC One M8) with 5-Inch Display, Dual-SIM, 801 Processor and 2 GB RAM to Hit New Markets Soon
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports