Bizarre Lawsuit Wins: Rectal Thermometer Gets Man $18,607, While Michael Jackson Fans Win One Euro
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | February 13, 2014 5:22 PM EST
John Beshara was awarded $18,607 in a lawsuit against a Canada hospital. The ex-con was allegedly handcuffed to one bed while his temperature was taken with a rectal thermometer. Mr Beshara accused the Montreal hospital of making him feel "violated." Mr Beshara, however, demanded $200,000 for his "violation."
The incident took place in September 2006 when Mr Beshara was in the north-end Bordeaux jail, serving time for robbery. Apparently, he consumed something that he believed was methadone. It was a part of his treatment on heroin addiction, according to court documents.
QMI Agency reported that Mr Beshara consumed an inmate's medicines by mistake. Thus, he landed in the Montreal hospital where a male nurse recorded his temperature with a rectal thermometer while correctional officers were holding him down. The judge, on the other hand, did not agree that Mr Beshara had been sexually violated. He deserved compensation anyway because he had been probed without his approval, he said.
If you thought that the lawsuit was weird, take this. BBC reported that five fans of Michael Jackson won a case in a court in France after they accused Dr Conrad Murray, MJ's physician, of being responsible for the "emotional damage suffered by them due to his death." Even though 34 fans filed the case, only five of them could prove their emotional suffering, the Orleans court said. As a part of the compensation, each of them was awarded one euro to be paid by Dr Murray.
The amount was determined for the fans: two from Switzerland, one from Belgium and two from France. They all belong to the Michael Jackson Community fan club in France. Their "emotional damage" was apparently proven with the help of "medical certificates" and "witness statements." Lawyer Emmanuel Ludot said that, according to his knowledge, it must have been the first time that emotional damage had been connected with a pop star, AFP news agency reported.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Islamic State: Seized ISIS Laptop Yields Videos How to Make Bomb, Steal Car, Disguise To Avoid Arrest
- Islamic State: ISIS In Another Beheading Frenzy, Decapitates Kurdish Fighter
- Schapelle Corby’s Boyfriend Ben Panangian Arrested on Drug Charges
- Islamic State: ISIS Now In Mexico To Prepare For US Attack; UK Raises Alert Level to ‘Severe’
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares