Bizarre Lawsuit Wins: Rectal Thermometer Gets Man $18,607, While Michael Jackson Fans Win One Euro
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | February 13, 2014 5:22 PM EST
John Beshara was awarded $18,607 in a lawsuit against a Canada hospital. The ex-con was allegedly handcuffed to one bed while his temperature was taken with a rectal thermometer. Mr Beshara accused the Montreal hospital of making him feel "violated." Mr Beshara, however, demanded $200,000 for his "violation."
The incident took place in September 2006 when Mr Beshara was in the north-end Bordeaux jail, serving time for robbery. Apparently, he consumed something that he believed was methadone. It was a part of his treatment on heroin addiction, according to court documents.
QMI Agency reported that Mr Beshara consumed an inmate's medicines by mistake. Thus, he landed in the Montreal hospital where a male nurse recorded his temperature with a rectal thermometer while correctional officers were holding him down. The judge, on the other hand, did not agree that Mr Beshara had been sexually violated. He deserved compensation anyway because he had been probed without his approval, he said.
If you thought that the lawsuit was weird, take this. BBC reported that five fans of Michael Jackson won a case in a court in France after they accused Dr Conrad Murray, MJ's physician, of being responsible for the "emotional damage suffered by them due to his death." Even though 34 fans filed the case, only five of them could prove their emotional suffering, the Orleans court said. As a part of the compensation, each of them was awarded one euro to be paid by Dr Murray.
The amount was determined for the fans: two from Switzerland, one from Belgium and two from France. They all belong to the Michael Jackson Community fan club in France. Their "emotional damage" was apparently proven with the help of "medical certificates" and "witness statements." Lawyer Emmanuel Ludot said that, according to his knowledge, it must have been the first time that emotional damage had been connected with a pop star, AFP news agency reported.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World