Banned Pitbull-Type Dog Breed Mauls Sleeping UK Baby to Death; Mother, Partner Arrested for Alleged Manslaughter
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 13, 2014 4:59 PM EST
A pit bull terrier-type dog prohibited under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 has mauled a baby girl to death while she slept in Blackburn, Lancashire, England. Her mother and her partner have been arrested for alleged manslaughter.
The large American pit bull terrier-type dog, ironically named Killer, attacked 11-month old Ava-Jayne Marie Corless on Monday evening.
Paramedics who responded to the emergency call described the baby and her mauling injuries as "horrific." She later died at the Royal Blackburn Hospital.
Little Ava-Jayne was upstairs while her mother Chloe King and partner Lee Wright were downstairs when the savage attack happened. The pair reportedly tried to pull Killer off baby Ava-Jayne.
"This is an absolutely horrific incident in which a baby girl has lost her life," Ch Supt Chris Bithell said.
"As part of the investigation we are making inquiries to see whether there have been previous issues with this particular dog," he said. "I'm told it's quite a large pit bull-type dog."
Killer, it seems, had brought his master enough trouble previously.
According to RSPCA inspectors, they had previously responded to at least two complaints from neighbours concerning pit bull terrier-type dog Killer in 2012 and 2013.
"Two years ago the RSPCA was contacted about a cat which had been attacked and died after going into a garden at this address. There was no suggestion that the incident was anything other than an accident and no further action was taken. There were no children living at the address," a spokesman for the RSPCA said.
"Later that year the RSPCA was again contacted regarding concerns for the health of a litter of puppies at the address. An officer attended and the dogs were all under veterinary care and receiving the treatment they required."
The two puppies were signed over to the RSPCA, which were subsequently found new homes.
But neighbours in the quiet street of Blackburn, Lancashire, claimed Killer was often menacing and had caused fear in the area.
Ms King and Mr Wright were arrested on alleged child neglect and manslaughter. But they are currently released on bail pending further inquiries.
Police will conduct a post mortem to determine the exact cause of baby Ava-Jayne's death.
Killer had since been destroyed. Tests are now currently being carried out to establish the exact breed of the animal.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Video Showing Mentally Disabled African American Shot 46 Times By Eight Police Officers For Just Holding A Penknife
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Forced To Return To Royal Engagements, Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Robbery Attempt in Sydney Bank, Armed Robbers on The Loose
- Father Spots A Bald Patch On The Lawn Outside His Girls' Bedroom And Gets Shocked At The Reason
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists