Banned Pitbull-Type Dog Breed Mauls Sleeping UK Baby to Death; Mother, Partner Arrested for Alleged Manslaughter
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 13, 2014 4:59 PM EST
A pit bull terrier-type dog prohibited under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 has mauled a baby girl to death while she slept in Blackburn, Lancashire, England. Her mother and her partner have been arrested for alleged manslaughter.
The large American pit bull terrier-type dog, ironically named Killer, attacked 11-month old Ava-Jayne Marie Corless on Monday evening.
Paramedics who responded to the emergency call described the baby and her mauling injuries as "horrific." She later died at the Royal Blackburn Hospital.
Little Ava-Jayne was upstairs while her mother Chloe King and partner Lee Wright were downstairs when the savage attack happened. The pair reportedly tried to pull Killer off baby Ava-Jayne.
"This is an absolutely horrific incident in which a baby girl has lost her life," Ch Supt Chris Bithell said.
"As part of the investigation we are making inquiries to see whether there have been previous issues with this particular dog," he said. "I'm told it's quite a large pit bull-type dog."
Killer, it seems, had brought his master enough trouble previously.
According to RSPCA inspectors, they had previously responded to at least two complaints from neighbours concerning pit bull terrier-type dog Killer in 2012 and 2013.
"Two years ago the RSPCA was contacted about a cat which had been attacked and died after going into a garden at this address. There was no suggestion that the incident was anything other than an accident and no further action was taken. There were no children living at the address," a spokesman for the RSPCA said.
"Later that year the RSPCA was again contacted regarding concerns for the health of a litter of puppies at the address. An officer attended and the dogs were all under veterinary care and receiving the treatment they required."
The two puppies were signed over to the RSPCA, which were subsequently found new homes.
But neighbours in the quiet street of Blackburn, Lancashire, claimed Killer was often menacing and had caused fear in the area.
Ms King and Mr Wright were arrested on alleged child neglect and manslaughter. But they are currently released on bail pending further inquiries.
Police will conduct a post mortem to determine the exact cause of baby Ava-Jayne's death.
Killer had since been destroyed. Tests are now currently being carried out to establish the exact breed of the animal.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Belgium Chocolate Maker ISIS Forced To Change Brand Name To Escape Customer Fury
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS