Banned Pitbull-Type Dog Breed Mauls Sleeping UK Baby to Death; Mother, Partner Arrested for Alleged Manslaughter
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 13, 2014 4:59 PM EST
A pit bull terrier-type dog prohibited under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 has mauled a baby girl to death while she slept in Blackburn, Lancashire, England. Her mother and her partner have been arrested for alleged manslaughter.
The large American pit bull terrier-type dog, ironically named Killer, attacked 11-month old Ava-Jayne Marie Corless on Monday evening.
Paramedics who responded to the emergency call described the baby and her mauling injuries as "horrific." She later died at the Royal Blackburn Hospital.
Little Ava-Jayne was upstairs while her mother Chloe King and partner Lee Wright were downstairs when the savage attack happened. The pair reportedly tried to pull Killer off baby Ava-Jayne.
"This is an absolutely horrific incident in which a baby girl has lost her life," Ch Supt Chris Bithell said.
"As part of the investigation we are making inquiries to see whether there have been previous issues with this particular dog," he said. "I'm told it's quite a large pit bull-type dog."
Killer, it seems, had brought his master enough trouble previously.
According to RSPCA inspectors, they had previously responded to at least two complaints from neighbours concerning pit bull terrier-type dog Killer in 2012 and 2013.
"Two years ago the RSPCA was contacted about a cat which had been attacked and died after going into a garden at this address. There was no suggestion that the incident was anything other than an accident and no further action was taken. There were no children living at the address," a spokesman for the RSPCA said.
"Later that year the RSPCA was again contacted regarding concerns for the health of a litter of puppies at the address. An officer attended and the dogs were all under veterinary care and receiving the treatment they required."
The two puppies were signed over to the RSPCA, which were subsequently found new homes.
But neighbours in the quiet street of Blackburn, Lancashire, claimed Killer was often menacing and had caused fear in the area.
Ms King and Mr Wright were arrested on alleged child neglect and manslaughter. But they are currently released on bail pending further inquiries.
Police will conduct a post mortem to determine the exact cause of baby Ava-Jayne's death.
Killer had since been destroyed. Tests are now currently being carried out to establish the exact breed of the animal.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Spotted All Smiles, Sickness Seems Over
- 14 Contestants For Miss Hitler 2014 Beauty Pageant Organised By Russian Equivalent Of Facebook
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- How Australian Father Stabbed 11-Year-Old Son Dead, More Details Emerge
- ISIS Crucifies Teenage Boy For Filming Syrian Base; Image Of Baby Girl Being Beheaded Found [VIDEO]
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage