Sony Mobile Puts Xperia SP Under Investigation Of Android 4.4 KitKat Update After Android 4.3 Jelly Bean Upgrade
By Ryan Inoyori | February 13, 2014 3:23 PM EST
Sony Xperia SP owners are now probably enjoying their Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update, which is seeding live. The Android 4.4 KitKat update status for SP has been changed by Sony Mobile and now "under investigation" like Xperia T and V.
Sony seems to have a change of heart for Xperia SP after sending out the latest Android 4.3 Jelly Bean upgrade as it tagged the device "under investigation" in getting Android 4.4 KitKat. According to the before and after status caught by XperiaBlog regarding the future update plans for Xperia SP, Sony did consider Android 4.4 KitKat while Xperia T and V were subjected for further review.
Based on the screenshots, Sony Mobile posted before Android 4.4 as the future software version of Xperia SP. But right after the official rollout of Android 4.3, the support page changed into "under investigation" of Android 4.4 KitKat update.
This looked like Sony Mobile didn't confirm or finalize the review of Android KitKat for Xperia SP and with the delay of Android 4.3 release, the company may not even bother updating the smartphone anymore.
Based on the 18-month update window period, Xperia SP has been launched with Android 4.1 version in April 2013 and hasn't celebrated its first year anniversary. Update support for the device will end around October 2014, which probably another Android version is going to be available by then.
Sony Mobile may reconsider Xperia SP, Xperia T and Xperia V in getting Android KitKat as the final firmware version since all three can handle the software based on the set of processor cores, graphics chipset and RAM.
Android 4.3 Jelly Bean Update
While Sony Mobile is busy investigating Android KitKat update for Xperia SP, owners from Australia, Bulgaria, Central Europe, Greece, Malaysia, Netherlands and the UK can now download and install the latest update via Sony PC Companion, Sony Bridge for Mac and SUS software using a computer.
It features the following changes in the smartphone:
- Android 4.3 goodies: Project Butter, Daydream, Lock screen Widgets
- Revamped UI based on Android 4.3 firmware of other Xperia devices
- New Sony Xperia Home launcher
- Updated Sony media apps - ALBUM and Movies, WALKMAN
- Updated camera app with option to download more camera modes
- Improved task manager and small apps
- More stock themes and wallpapers
- Redesign of contacts and messaging app
- Improved STAMINA mode for prolonged battery life
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Android 5.0 Lollipop Update Roundup: HTC, Google, LG, Motorola, Xolo, OnePlus, Samsung And Sony Upgrade Plans
- Sony Teases PS4 2.0 System Software Update As Sony Xperia Z2 And Z2 Tablet Get Remote Play
- ‘GTA V’ 1.18 Update: Heists, Zombies, Hydra Jets DLC Seemingly Possible
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire’ Updates; PokeNav And Pokemon Halloween Detailed
- ‘Destiny’ ‘The Dark Below’ DLC: XP Boosters, New Armours Revealed, Atheon Fixes
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage