Sony Mobile Puts Xperia SP Under Investigation Of Android 4.4 KitKat Update After Android 4.3 Jelly Bean Upgrade
By Ryan Inoyori | February 13, 2014 3:23 PM EST
Sony Xperia SP owners are now probably enjoying their Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update, which is seeding live. The Android 4.4 KitKat update status for SP has been changed by Sony Mobile and now "under investigation" like Xperia T and V.
Sony seems to have a change of heart for Xperia SP after sending out the latest Android 4.3 Jelly Bean upgrade as it tagged the device "under investigation" in getting Android 4.4 KitKat. According to the before and after status caught by XperiaBlog regarding the future update plans for Xperia SP, Sony did consider Android 4.4 KitKat while Xperia T and V were subjected for further review.
Based on the screenshots, Sony Mobile posted before Android 4.4 as the future software version of Xperia SP. But right after the official rollout of Android 4.3, the support page changed into "under investigation" of Android 4.4 KitKat update.
This looked like Sony Mobile didn't confirm or finalize the review of Android KitKat for Xperia SP and with the delay of Android 4.3 release, the company may not even bother updating the smartphone anymore.
Based on the 18-month update window period, Xperia SP has been launched with Android 4.1 version in April 2013 and hasn't celebrated its first year anniversary. Update support for the device will end around October 2014, which probably another Android version is going to be available by then.
Sony Mobile may reconsider Xperia SP, Xperia T and Xperia V in getting Android KitKat as the final firmware version since all three can handle the software based on the set of processor cores, graphics chipset and RAM.
Android 4.3 Jelly Bean Update
While Sony Mobile is busy investigating Android KitKat update for Xperia SP, owners from Australia, Bulgaria, Central Europe, Greece, Malaysia, Netherlands and the UK can now download and install the latest update via Sony PC Companion, Sony Bridge for Mac and SUS software using a computer.
It features the following changes in the smartphone:
- Android 4.3 goodies: Project Butter, Daydream, Lock screen Widgets
- Revamped UI based on Android 4.3 firmware of other Xperia devices
- New Sony Xperia Home launcher
- Updated Sony media apps - ALBUM and Movies, WALKMAN
- Updated camera app with option to download more camera modes
- Improved task manager and small apps
- More stock themes and wallpapers
- Redesign of contacts and messaging app
- Improved STAMINA mode for prolonged battery life
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- 'The Sims 4' Mac Version: Bugs, Missing Elements Players Must Be Prepared Of
- 'Destiny' vs. 'Titanfall': New Legendary Gears Spotted And Update 8 Features Detailed
- How To Play 4K Graphics Quality On 1080p Games With Any Monitor Using NVIDIA Graphics Cards
- PS4 v. Xbox One: More Details For Firmware 2.0 Update, Xbox Screenshot Feature And Paid Xbox Music Emerge
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS