Sony Mobile Puts Xperia SP Under Investigation Of Android 4.4 KitKat Update After Android 4.3 Jelly Bean Upgrade
By Ryan Inoyori | February 13, 2014 3:23 PM EST
Sony Xperia SP owners are now probably enjoying their Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update, which is seeding live. The Android 4.4 KitKat update status for SP has been changed by Sony Mobile and now "under investigation" like Xperia T and V.
Sony seems to have a change of heart for Xperia SP after sending out the latest Android 4.3 Jelly Bean upgrade as it tagged the device "under investigation" in getting Android 4.4 KitKat. According to the before and after status caught by XperiaBlog regarding the future update plans for Xperia SP, Sony did consider Android 4.4 KitKat while Xperia T and V were subjected for further review.
Based on the screenshots, Sony Mobile posted before Android 4.4 as the future software version of Xperia SP. But right after the official rollout of Android 4.3, the support page changed into "under investigation" of Android 4.4 KitKat update.
This looked like Sony Mobile didn't confirm or finalize the review of Android KitKat for Xperia SP and with the delay of Android 4.3 release, the company may not even bother updating the smartphone anymore.
Based on the 18-month update window period, Xperia SP has been launched with Android 4.1 version in April 2013 and hasn't celebrated its first year anniversary. Update support for the device will end around October 2014, which probably another Android version is going to be available by then.
Sony Mobile may reconsider Xperia SP, Xperia T and Xperia V in getting Android KitKat as the final firmware version since all three can handle the software based on the set of processor cores, graphics chipset and RAM.
Android 4.3 Jelly Bean Update
While Sony Mobile is busy investigating Android KitKat update for Xperia SP, owners from Australia, Bulgaria, Central Europe, Greece, Malaysia, Netherlands and the UK can now download and install the latest update via Sony PC Companion, Sony Bridge for Mac and SUS software using a computer.
It features the following changes in the smartphone:
- Android 4.3 goodies: Project Butter, Daydream, Lock screen Widgets
- Revamped UI based on Android 4.3 firmware of other Xperia devices
- New Sony Xperia Home launcher
- Updated Sony media apps - ALBUM and Movies, WALKMAN
- Updated camera app with option to download more camera modes
- Improved task manager and small apps
- More stock themes and wallpapers
- Redesign of contacts and messaging app
- Improved STAMINA mode for prolonged battery life
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 64-Bit Octa-Core CPU Expected On Samsung Galaxy S6 And Sony Xperia Z4
- Nexus 9 NVIDIA Tegra K1 Beats Nexus 6 Adreno 420, Galaxy Note 4 Mali T-760 In GPU Tests
- Android 5.0 Lollipop SDK Makes Rooting More Difficult And Overriding Impose Serious Risk To Attacks
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop