NZ Parliament Passes Bill Establishing Three New Marine Reserves
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 13, 2014 2:47 PM EST
Three new marine reserves will be up and about around the remote islands south of New Zealand effective March 2, as Parliament has recently passed the Subantarctic Islands Marine Reserves Act.
The newly passed bill establishes three new marine reserves surrounding the Antipodes, Bounty and Campbell Islands in New Zealand's remote Subantarctic oceans.
Natural climatic change has led to the total ecosystem collapse of coral reefs, a new report mentions.
"The significance of these three new reserves is their huge size, near pristine state and remoteness. Their marine reserve status means there can be no fishing, no mining and no petroleum exploration within the protected areas," Conservation Minister Nick Smith said in a statement.
The three new marine reserves have 435,000 hectares. These effectively expand New Zealand's protected territorial sea from 7.1 percent to 9.5 percent, helping to achieve the 10 percent target as contained in the United Nations Convention on Biological Diversity.
Smith said the islands are a perfect breeding site for some sea creatures, including southern right whales, New Zealand fur seals and sea lions. It is also where a tenth of the world's seabirds breed, including the southern royal albatross.
Once enacted, the NZ Navy is empowered to enforce the provisions of the law, ensuring that no fishing, mining and petroleum exploration will ever occur within the protected areas.
WWF-NZ heralded the passage of the new bill saying more can be done to save the immediate environment.
"While new reserves are welcome, what New Zealand needs most of all is a comprehensive plan for looking after our marine environment. We all need to be clear on where we want protection, where we can fish and what other type of activities will be allowed. Let's do it once and lets do it right. Our oceans deserve it," WWF-NZ Head of Campaigns Peter Hardstaff said.
"Legislation to set up a comprehensive marine spatial plan for looking after our oceans should be a priority for this Government and whoever is in power for the next term.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies