Galaxy S5 Includes Bezel-Free Screen, Embedded Fingerprint Scanner, Other Killer Specs & Features to Expect on Release Date
By Karla Danica Figuerres | February 13, 2014 2:10 PM EST
On the other hand, Apple's iPhone 6 is expected to come with significant improvements over the current model. Rumours abound in spite of the fact that its launch date is not as close as the Galaxy S5. Nonetheless, the two devices are rumoured to sport a number of same features on release date.
Galaxy S5, iPhone 6: Bezel-Free Screen With Embedded Fingerprint Scanner
According to the Korean media, both Apple and Samsung's next flagship smartphones will feature bezel free screens.
For the Galaxy S5, the home button will be gone for good according to sources. At the bottom of the smartphone will reside an embedded fingerprint scanner, which is allegedly placed in the lower right and lower left corners of the screen. Contrary to previous rumours, the scanner will only be in the corners and not on its entire surface.
The fingerprint scanners covering the entire surface of the screen will be implemented in the second half of the year because Samsung is not ready for mass production of this technology just yet.
Recent rumours suggest that the Galaxy S5 will be much thinner version of its predecessor because of the different type of display that will be used. Basically, this new display will not use an ITO layer hence the cut in the size. It is also speculated that this new screen will be sensitive even when wearing gloves. "With the help of increased sensitivity on the panel, users will be able to swipe and tap on the screen with their gloves on," the source said.
The same is true to the Apple iPhone 6, at least according to the source who claims that it will feature a bezel-free screen that will support fingerprint scanning.
Nevertheless, it is a bit early to draw definitive conclusions about the next iPhone. We expect more rumours and leaks to pop-up in the following months.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Apple on 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Release Will Not Happen Until 2015 with Stocks Poised to Soar
- Andy Roddick and Mardy Fish Can't Play in the U.S. Open Due to Drug Testing Issues
- Billy Bob Thornton Want to Play Hodor in Game Of Thrones
- Fukushima Radiation Tests on Waters Along U.S. Coast Yield Negative Results
- Zac Efron Equates Boozing to a Social Stimulant, Admits Why He Checked into Rehab Last Year
- Celebrities Who Stripped Naked for Women's Health