Sochi 2014: Germany’s Carina Vogt Makes History as the First Woman to Win a Gold Medal in Ski Jumping
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 13, 2014 12:33 PM EST
In a sport of Olympic ski jumping that was only played by men up till now, Carina Vogt of Germany makes history as the first woman to win the gold medal and become the first women's Olympic ski jump champion. Ms Vogt was trailed by Austria's Daniela Iraschko-Stolz and France's Coline Mattel in the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics ski jumping event.
It was only in 2011 that the International Olympic Committee gave the green light for the women to compete in ski jumping, 87 long years after the inaugural Winter Games in 1924.
Ms Vogt was exuberant about her notable historic achievement. "It's amazing," said the 22-year-old German athlete. She said that she wouldn't have thought that it was really possible even before she competed, according to the Telegraph.
"I'm the first woman champion in ski jumping," she said.
Ms Vogt's first international debut was in a competition in Meinerzhagen. She has partaken in the FIS Ski Jumping Continental Cup from 2006 to 2012. In January 2012, she made her first appearance at the FIS Ski Jumping World Cup. Ms Vogt's best World Cup result is second place.
Austria's Iraschko-Stolz, on the other hand, said that she never thought that she would be able to compete in Olympic Games let alone be triumphant in the said event, although she had hopes of winning an Olympic medal. "It means so much to me," she said.
"I used to dream of winning an Olympic medal... It's like a fairytale to win silver at the first Olympic Games," said Ms Iraschko-Stolz.
Ms Mattel of France, who claimed the third place, also made history by being the first ever ski jumping medalist for France, BBC reported. At 18, she was also second youngest to win a medal in the Winter Olympics. Ms Mattel revealed that she felt confident about herself but at the same time, stressed, too.
"I felt sick but I knew I could do it," said Mattel.
"It means a lot as it's the first bronze in history," she added.
For the complete list of winners, visit the official Web site of the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS