Sochi 2014: Germany’s Carina Vogt Makes History as the First Woman to Win a Gold Medal in Ski Jumping
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 13, 2014 12:33 PM EST
In a sport of Olympic ski jumping that was only played by men up till now, Carina Vogt of Germany makes history as the first woman to win the gold medal and become the first women's Olympic ski jump champion. Ms Vogt was trailed by Austria's Daniela Iraschko-Stolz and France's Coline Mattel in the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics ski jumping event.
It was only in 2011 that the International Olympic Committee gave the green light for the women to compete in ski jumping, 87 long years after the inaugural Winter Games in 1924.
Ms Vogt was exuberant about her notable historic achievement. "It's amazing," said the 22-year-old German athlete. She said that she wouldn't have thought that it was really possible even before she competed, according to the Telegraph.
"I'm the first woman champion in ski jumping," she said.
Ms Vogt's first international debut was in a competition in Meinerzhagen. She has partaken in the FIS Ski Jumping Continental Cup from 2006 to 2012. In January 2012, she made her first appearance at the FIS Ski Jumping World Cup. Ms Vogt's best World Cup result is second place.
Austria's Iraschko-Stolz, on the other hand, said that she never thought that she would be able to compete in Olympic Games let alone be triumphant in the said event, although she had hopes of winning an Olympic medal. "It means so much to me," she said.
"I used to dream of winning an Olympic medal... It's like a fairytale to win silver at the first Olympic Games," said Ms Iraschko-Stolz.
Ms Mattel of France, who claimed the third place, also made history by being the first ever ski jumping medalist for France, BBC reported. At 18, she was also second youngest to win a medal in the Winter Olympics. Ms Mattel revealed that she felt confident about herself but at the same time, stressed, too.
"I felt sick but I knew I could do it," said Mattel.
"It means a lot as it's the first bronze in history," she added.
For the complete list of winners, visit the official Web site of the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Boxing News: Freddie Roach Not Buying Into Arum's Claim Of Pacquiao v Mayweather In 2015, Claims 'Money' Will Say 'No' After Algieri Fight
- Door Is Open For Brock Lesnar To Make UFC Return -- Dana White
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports