Sochi 2014: Germany’s Carina Vogt Makes History as the First Woman to Win a Gold Medal in Ski Jumping
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 13, 2014 12:33 PM EST
In a sport of Olympic ski jumping that was only played by men up till now, Carina Vogt of Germany makes history as the first woman to win the gold medal and become the first women's Olympic ski jump champion. Ms Vogt was trailed by Austria's Daniela Iraschko-Stolz and France's Coline Mattel in the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics ski jumping event.
It was only in 2011 that the International Olympic Committee gave the green light for the women to compete in ski jumping, 87 long years after the inaugural Winter Games in 1924.
Ms Vogt was exuberant about her notable historic achievement. "It's amazing," said the 22-year-old German athlete. She said that she wouldn't have thought that it was really possible even before she competed, according to the Telegraph.
"I'm the first woman champion in ski jumping," she said.
Ms Vogt's first international debut was in a competition in Meinerzhagen. She has partaken in the FIS Ski Jumping Continental Cup from 2006 to 2012. In January 2012, she made her first appearance at the FIS Ski Jumping World Cup. Ms Vogt's best World Cup result is second place.
Austria's Iraschko-Stolz, on the other hand, said that she never thought that she would be able to compete in Olympic Games let alone be triumphant in the said event, although she had hopes of winning an Olympic medal. "It means so much to me," she said.
"I used to dream of winning an Olympic medal... It's like a fairytale to win silver at the first Olympic Games," said Ms Iraschko-Stolz.
Ms Mattel of France, who claimed the third place, also made history by being the first ever ski jumping medalist for France, BBC reported. At 18, she was also second youngest to win a medal in the Winter Olympics. Ms Mattel revealed that she felt confident about herself but at the same time, stressed, too.
"I felt sick but I knew I could do it," said Mattel.
"It means a lot as it's the first bronze in history," she added.
For the complete list of winners, visit the official Web site of the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase