Sochi 2014: Germany’s Carina Vogt Makes History as the First Woman to Win a Gold Medal in Ski Jumping
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 13, 2014 12:33 PM EST
In a sport of Olympic ski jumping that was only played by men up till now, Carina Vogt of Germany makes history as the first woman to win the gold medal and become the first women's Olympic ski jump champion. Ms Vogt was trailed by Austria's Daniela Iraschko-Stolz and France's Coline Mattel in the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics ski jumping event.
It was only in 2011 that the International Olympic Committee gave the green light for the women to compete in ski jumping, 87 long years after the inaugural Winter Games in 1924.
Ms Vogt was exuberant about her notable historic achievement. "It's amazing," said the 22-year-old German athlete. She said that she wouldn't have thought that it was really possible even before she competed, according to the Telegraph.
"I'm the first woman champion in ski jumping," she said.
Ms Vogt's first international debut was in a competition in Meinerzhagen. She has partaken in the FIS Ski Jumping Continental Cup from 2006 to 2012. In January 2012, she made her first appearance at the FIS Ski Jumping World Cup. Ms Vogt's best World Cup result is second place.
Austria's Iraschko-Stolz, on the other hand, said that she never thought that she would be able to compete in Olympic Games let alone be triumphant in the said event, although she had hopes of winning an Olympic medal. "It means so much to me," she said.
"I used to dream of winning an Olympic medal... It's like a fairytale to win silver at the first Olympic Games," said Ms Iraschko-Stolz.
Ms Mattel of France, who claimed the third place, also made history by being the first ever ski jumping medalist for France, BBC reported. At 18, she was also second youngest to win a medal in the Winter Olympics. Ms Mattel revealed that she felt confident about herself but at the same time, stressed, too.
"I felt sick but I knew I could do it," said Mattel.
"It means a lot as it's the first bronze in history," she added.
For the complete list of winners, visit the official Web site of the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Serena Williams and Rumoured Boyfriend Patrick Mouratoglou Spotted on a Date in NYC
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Mehdi Benatia and Alex Song in the Mix as Wenger Looks to 'Strengthen Defensive Department'
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015