Sochi Olympics 2014: Emblazoned Phone Number on Helmet of Russian Snowboarder Causes Crash of Mobile Phone Due to Excessive Naked Female Images Received
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 13, 2014 9:54 AM EST
Tim Thomas, who announced a hiatus from hockey today, examines his helmet which has some Tea Party symbols painted on it.
Sochi Olympics 2014: Microchip in Passport Opens Door to Free Unli Molson Beer for All Canadian Olympians (VIDEOS)
Russian snowboarder Alexey Sobolev probably saw the Sochi Olympic Games as his chance to meet many women, Russians as well as foreigners, by placing his mobile phone number on his helmet.
He wore the helmet at the Thursday qualifying round, giving him his 15 minutes of fame.
The trick apparently worked because he got more than 2,000 texts and naked photos of women on his mobile phone. However, it also caused his unit to crash, along with his ambition for an Olympic medal because he didn't qualify for the slope style finals.
It wasn't just his helmet that Sobolev gave exposure but also his snowboard which has an illustration of a woman attired in black ski mask wielding a knife. It happened to be the same outfit that Pussy Riot, a feminist rock group whose members were imprisoned when they held an impromptu show in a Moscow church in February 2013, wore. The group sang a song that hit Russian President Vladimir Putin and his link with the Orthodox Church.
When asked by Russian media if his board was a political statement, he evaded answering directly by stating, quoted by Sports Yahoo, "Anything is possible. I wasn't the person who designed the board."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29