Sochi Olympics 2014: Emblazoned Phone Number on Helmet of Russian Snowboarder Causes Crash of Mobile Phone Due to Excessive Naked Female Images Received
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 13, 2014 9:54 AM EST
Tim Thomas, who announced a hiatus from hockey today, examines his helmet which has some Tea Party symbols painted on it.
Sochi Olympics 2014: Microchip in Passport Opens Door to Free Unli Molson Beer for All Canadian Olympians (VIDEOS)
Russian snowboarder Alexey Sobolev probably saw the Sochi Olympic Games as his chance to meet many women, Russians as well as foreigners, by placing his mobile phone number on his helmet.
He wore the helmet at the Thursday qualifying round, giving him his 15 minutes of fame.
The trick apparently worked because he got more than 2,000 texts and naked photos of women on his mobile phone. However, it also caused his unit to crash, along with his ambition for an Olympic medal because he didn't qualify for the slope style finals.
It wasn't just his helmet that Sobolev gave exposure but also his snowboard which has an illustration of a woman attired in black ski mask wielding a knife. It happened to be the same outfit that Pussy Riot, a feminist rock group whose members were imprisoned when they held an impromptu show in a Moscow church in February 2013, wore. The group sang a song that hit Russian President Vladimir Putin and his link with the Orthodox Church.
When asked by Russian media if his board was a political statement, he evaded answering directly by stating, quoted by Sports Yahoo, "Anything is possible. I wasn't the person who designed the board."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- NBA Preview: Milwaukee Bucks Look to Develop Youngsters Jabari Parker, Giannis Antetokounmpo
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine