Sochi Olympics 2014: Microchip in Passport Opens Door to Free Unli Molson Beer for All Canadian Olympians (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 13, 2014 9:45 AM EST
Because of a new federal law in 2013 that banned the sale of alcoholic drinks inside sports stadium and arenas, plus a local ordinance approved in January 2014 that also prohibited sale of alcohol within 50 metres of sports venues, the Sochi Olympics is considered the driest winter games in Olympic history.
However, lucky members of the Canadian Olympic team, it turns out, actually enjoy free unlimited supply of real beer, courtesy of Canadian manufacturer Molson which shipped cooling machines full of the beer.
But only Canadian Olympians could avail of this privilege because the refrigerator door could only be opened using the microchip in a Canadian passport.
But far from causing the Canadian sportsmen and women to be inebriated and perform poorly in their event, the team bearing the maple leaf flag has the most all around medal count and has harvested the most gold medals so far at the Olympics.
The free beer offer actually goes beyond Sochi since Molson also shipped the special refrigerators to other parts of Europe and made the same offer exclusively to Canadians. These are in Canterbury, White Cliffs of Dover, Northern France, Cassel, London and Brussels.
A marketing project of ad agency Rethink, images of Canadians availing of the free beer were captured in a video and used for a commercial that was shown at the Stanley Cup finals. It was actually recorded in spring 2013, a few months ahead of the free beer in Sochi marketing campaign.
If Molson was only too glad to quench the thirst of Canadians overseas, other beermakers such as Heineken - the official beer at the London and Athens Summer Games - were not keen on sponsoring the Sochi Winter Games because of the ban on alcoholic drinks in the city.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Sydney Software Firm Bigcommerce Teams Up With Alibaba To Beat Amazon
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports