Sochi Olympics 2014: Microchip in Passport Opens Door to Free Unli Molson Beer for All Canadian Olympians (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 13, 2014 9:45 AM EST
Because of a new federal law in 2013 that banned the sale of alcoholic drinks inside sports stadium and arenas, plus a local ordinance approved in January 2014 that also prohibited sale of alcohol within 50 metres of sports venues, the Sochi Olympics is considered the driest winter games in Olympic history.
However, lucky members of the Canadian Olympic team, it turns out, actually enjoy free unlimited supply of real beer, courtesy of Canadian manufacturer Molson which shipped cooling machines full of the beer.
But only Canadian Olympians could avail of this privilege because the refrigerator door could only be opened using the microchip in a Canadian passport.
But far from causing the Canadian sportsmen and women to be inebriated and perform poorly in their event, the team bearing the maple leaf flag has the most all around medal count and has harvested the most gold medals so far at the Olympics.
The free beer offer actually goes beyond Sochi since Molson also shipped the special refrigerators to other parts of Europe and made the same offer exclusively to Canadians. These are in Canterbury, White Cliffs of Dover, Northern France, Cassel, London and Brussels.
A marketing project of ad agency Rethink, images of Canadians availing of the free beer were captured in a video and used for a commercial that was shown at the Stanley Cup finals. It was actually recorded in spring 2013, a few months ahead of the free beer in Sochi marketing campaign.
If Molson was only too glad to quench the thirst of Canadians overseas, other beermakers such as Heineken - the official beer at the London and Athens Summer Games - were not keen on sponsoring the Sochi Winter Games because of the ban on alcoholic drinks in the city.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 To Boost Telstra’s Income By $500 Million
- Smaller Australian Telcos Required To Have Usage Alert For Customers To Avoid Phone Bill Shock
- Addiction Rehabilitation Leader BioCorRx, Inc. Participates In San Francisco’s eMoneyShow
- BlackBerry to Host ‘See The Bigger Picture’ Event in London, Dubai & Toronto on Sep 24
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display