China Copper Imports Rise 53% in January as Commodity is Used as Collateral to Get Credit
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 13, 2014 9:13 AM EST
Copper prices have outperformed the overall metals market as traders have closed short selling in expectation of government intervention to boost growth, but the metal may still be "slightly overvalued," according to a Monday report by Barclays.
YouTube/Al Jazeera English
Higher demand from Chinese buyers led to a record-high importation by China of cooper and iron ore from major sources such as Australia and Chile. Bloomberg reports that besides using these commodities for construction, it also serves as collateral to secure credit.
In January, shipment of copper to China went up 53 per cent to 536,000 metric tonnes compared to a year ago. Shipment of iron ore for the same period grew 32 per cent to 86.83 million tonnes, according to the country's General Administration of Customs.
With the unexpected strong demand for the two commodities by China, it may help reduce forecast global surplus of these materials and support copper futures that shed 3.2 per cent since January in London as well as the 11 per cent reduction in iron ore delivery to Tianjin.
But the Sydney Morning Herald partly attributed the record-high importation of copper and iron ore to stockpiling ahead of the Chinese Lunar New Year holidays instead of higher consumption of the two materials.
Sijin Cheng, a commodities analyst at Barclays agreed that stockpiling is partly the reason for the surge in shipment, and she forecast that February import figures would go down.
Mark Keenan, head of commodities research in Asia at Societe Generale, said, "If China retains an element of stability, it will calm sentiment toward the rest of the emerging markets."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage