Victoria Police Ex-Chief Commissioner Christine Nixon Caught Driving Unregistered Car
By Anne Lu | February 13, 2014 6:37 AM EST
Former Chief Commissioner of Victoria Police Christine Nixon has been caught driving an unregistered vehicle. She was pulled over along the Mornington Peninsula Freeway during a police traffic operation in Melbourne on Tuesday.
She claimed that the unpaid registration was just an oversight, and that it was paid before she moved her car off the freeway. She was issued with a fine for $722 for the oversight, a police rep told Fairfax Radio.
She praised the police for their handling of the situation.
Ms Nixon, 60, was the first female Chief Commissioner in any Australian state police, and had held on to the position for the Victoria Police from 2001 to 2009.
She was due to retire in late March 2009, but had to leave her post earlier in February of the same year to take on the responsibility for the Victorian Bushfire Reconstruction and Recovery Authority.
As the chief commissioner, she was criticised for her actions during the 2009 Black Saturday bushfires on February 7.
She was questioned by the Victorian Bushfires Royal Commission on her decision to go to her morning hairdressing appointment, to a meeting with her biographer, and to a dinner with her friends while the fires killed 173 people and displaced more than 7000.
“It was not my job to swoop in and take control,” she explained. “When you have good people who are more skilled in emergency management than I am, you let those people do the job.”
She stood down from her position in July 2010.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown