Victoria Police Ex-Chief Commissioner Christine Nixon Caught Driving Unregistered Car
By Anne Lu | February 13, 2014 6:37 AM EST
Former Chief Commissioner of Victoria Police Christine Nixon has been caught driving an unregistered vehicle. She was pulled over along the Mornington Peninsula Freeway during a police traffic operation in Melbourne on Tuesday.
She claimed that the unpaid registration was just an oversight, and that it was paid before she moved her car off the freeway. She was issued with a fine for $722 for the oversight, a police rep told Fairfax Radio.
She praised the police for their handling of the situation.
Ms Nixon, 60, was the first female Chief Commissioner in any Australian state police, and had held on to the position for the Victoria Police from 2001 to 2009.
She was due to retire in late March 2009, but had to leave her post earlier in February of the same year to take on the responsibility for the Victorian Bushfire Reconstruction and Recovery Authority.
As the chief commissioner, she was criticised for her actions during the 2009 Black Saturday bushfires on February 7.
She was questioned by the Victorian Bushfires Royal Commission on her decision to go to her morning hairdressing appointment, to a meeting with her biographer, and to a dinner with her friends while the fires killed 173 people and displaced more than 7000.
“It was not my job to swoop in and take control,” she explained. “When you have good people who are more skilled in emergency management than I am, you let those people do the job.”
She stood down from her position in July 2010.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015