Victoria Police Ex-Chief Commissioner Christine Nixon Caught Driving Unregistered Car
By Anne Lu | February 13, 2014 6:37 AM EST
Former Chief Commissioner of Victoria Police Christine Nixon has been caught driving an unregistered vehicle. She was pulled over along the Mornington Peninsula Freeway during a police traffic operation in Melbourne on Tuesday.
She claimed that the unpaid registration was just an oversight, and that it was paid before she moved her car off the freeway. She was issued with a fine for $722 for the oversight, a police rep told Fairfax Radio.
She praised the police for their handling of the situation.
Ms Nixon, 60, was the first female Chief Commissioner in any Australian state police, and had held on to the position for the Victoria Police from 2001 to 2009.
She was due to retire in late March 2009, but had to leave her post earlier in February of the same year to take on the responsibility for the Victorian Bushfire Reconstruction and Recovery Authority.
As the chief commissioner, she was criticised for her actions during the 2009 Black Saturday bushfires on February 7.
She was questioned by the Victorian Bushfires Royal Commission on her decision to go to her morning hairdressing appointment, to a meeting with her biographer, and to a dinner with her friends while the fires killed 173 people and displaced more than 7000.
“It was not my job to swoop in and take control,” she explained. “When you have good people who are more skilled in emergency management than I am, you let those people do the job.”
She stood down from her position in July 2010.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Indonesia Uses Russian-Built Fighter Jets In Chasing For Australian Plane
- Move Over, Jeremy Meeks; Brazil Has A Handsome Crook With 39 Murders On Record
- Islamic State: Aussie Terrorism Suspect Was In Same Video When Runaway Teenager Threatened PM Abbott
- Islamic State: From Beheading Men, IS Moves To Stoning Adulteress To Death
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier