Nexus 8 Release Report: Rumors Say 8-inch ASUS-Built Google Tablet To Launch In April
By Karla Danica Figuerres | February 12, 2014 9:49 PM EST
Google has seriously considered the forthcoming launch of the 8-inch ASUS-built Google tablet in April, according to Digitimes.
There were earlier rumors Google might launch an 8-inch tablet after a strange device has been seen on an Android Web site. Google immediately replaced the photo and the rumor ceased since then, especially after the release of the LG G Pad 8.3 Google Play Edition.
The Nexus 8 release date rumor confirmed ASUS will develop an 8-inch tablet, which is set to roll out in April so as to avoid competition with the Nexus 7 2013.
The April launch date is likely to happen as the sales of the Nexus 7 2013 have been short of expectations and Google appears to have high hopes with the Nexus 8 to make-up for the shortfall of 2 million units from ASUS.
"Therefore, Google has selected 8-inch as the size of the third-generation Nexus 7 to avoid price competition and competition from 5- to 6-inch smartphones, the sources indicated. Google is very likely to continue co-brand cooperation with Asustek for the 8-inch tablet," the source said.
The Nexus 8 release date rumor is pretty interesting as we have yet to hear new information about the much anticipated Google Nexus 10 2, which has been rumored before the end of 2013. Although Google has been anticipated to release the next-generation 10-inch tablet, there was no official data from Google itself apart from the fake leaks that flooded the Internet time and again.
Nexus 8 Specs And Features To Expect
If ASUS builds the Nexus 8, then we can expect it to be a refreshed version of the Nexus 7 2013 with minor changes in display size, improved processor that could be a Snapdragon 600 or Snapdragon 800, increased RAM and a couple more features.
Presently, Google already has 5-inch Nexus 5 and Sony Z Ultra Google Play Edition as the 6-inch phablet. The 8-inch tablet market is a new potential market where Google might venture into. As April nears, we expect to see more rumors whether Google decides to push through with the plan.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates