HTC-Google Nexus 10 Release Nears As Tablet Already In the Works?
By Kristin Dian Mariano | February 12, 2014 9:26 PM EST
Google Nexus 10 2 release date may come sooner as new rumors have claimed the 10-inch tablet is already in the works.
According to DigiTimes, Google approached HTC to manufacture the tablet. The previous year's Google Nexus 10 was developed by Samsung. But Samsung and Google did not renew its partnership in making the 10-inch tablet as Google looked for another manufacturer to assist it and Samsung became overwhelmed in its own devices.
Photo of the Nexus 10, taken from http://developer.android.com/about/versions/jelly-bean.html, which is released under CC 2.5 Attribution. Portions of this page are reproduced from work created and shared by the Android Open Source Project and used according to terms described in the Creative Commons 2.5 Attribution License.
The report cited unnamed industry sources who noted Google approached HTC as the potential manufacturer for the original Nexus 7 back in 2012, but HTC turned down the job. Google reportedly looked for another manufacturing partner and ended up with ASUS, which made both the first- and second-generation Nexus 7.
Apparently, Google put back its full-fledged tablet back to the drawing board after other companies revealed devices with killer specs. For example, Samsung announced its new line of PRO tablets at the recent Consumers Electronics Show in the past month.
Focus Taiwan first reported HTC will take the helm in making Nexus 10 2. The shipping will commence in the third quarter of 2014. This business decision was beneficial to HTC like Samsung and ASUS as it will be another opportunity for HTC to prove itself in the tablet market.
But Russian Analyst Elder Murtazin said earlier this month that Google will drop the whole Nexus line in favor of Google Play Edition of Android devices. This suggested Google may be dropping Nexus 10 2. It is rumored to come with a new version Android OS on its release date reported as the Android 4.5.
Google is known for releasing devices paired with a new mobile software on its launch. But the search giant still has not confirmed the specs and features of full-fledged tablet. Some of the features of Nexus 10 2 are 10-inch screen with 2,560 x 1,600 pixel resolution, NVIDIA Tegra 4 chipset or latest Snapdragon CPU or Samsung's Exynos chip and 5-megapixel rear camera and a 3-megapixel front-facing camera.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys