HTC-Google Nexus 10 Release Nears As Tablet Already In the Works?
By Kristin Dian Mariano | February 12, 2014 9:26 PM EST
Google Nexus 10 2 release date may come sooner as new rumors have claimed the 10-inch tablet is already in the works.
According to DigiTimes, Google approached HTC to manufacture the tablet. The previous year's Google Nexus 10 was developed by Samsung. But Samsung and Google did not renew its partnership in making the 10-inch tablet as Google looked for another manufacturer to assist it and Samsung became overwhelmed in its own devices.
Photo of the Nexus 10, taken from http://developer.android.com/about/versions/jelly-bean.html, which is released under CC 2.5 Attribution. Portions of this page are reproduced from work created and shared by the Android Open Source Project and used according to terms described in the Creative Commons 2.5 Attribution License.
The report cited unnamed industry sources who noted Google approached HTC as the potential manufacturer for the original Nexus 7 back in 2012, but HTC turned down the job. Google reportedly looked for another manufacturing partner and ended up with ASUS, which made both the first- and second-generation Nexus 7.
Apparently, Google put back its full-fledged tablet back to the drawing board after other companies revealed devices with killer specs. For example, Samsung announced its new line of PRO tablets at the recent Consumers Electronics Show in the past month.
Focus Taiwan first reported HTC will take the helm in making Nexus 10 2. The shipping will commence in the third quarter of 2014. This business decision was beneficial to HTC like Samsung and ASUS as it will be another opportunity for HTC to prove itself in the tablet market.
But Russian Analyst Elder Murtazin said earlier this month that Google will drop the whole Nexus line in favor of Google Play Edition of Android devices. This suggested Google may be dropping Nexus 10 2. It is rumored to come with a new version Android OS on its release date reported as the Android 4.5.
Google is known for releasing devices paired with a new mobile software on its launch. But the search giant still has not confirmed the specs and features of full-fledged tablet. Some of the features of Nexus 10 2 are 10-inch screen with 2,560 x 1,600 pixel resolution, NVIDIA Tegra 4 chipset or latest Snapdragon CPU or Samsung's Exynos chip and 5-megapixel rear camera and a 3-megapixel front-facing camera.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family