LeBron James Claims that He Should’ve Won the Defensive Player of the Year Award Twice, Reveals How he Became 'The' Guy in Miami
By Mark Wayne Eubank | February 12, 2014 9:24 PM EST
Miami Heat superstar LeBron James is frustrated by the fact that the NBA failed to recognize his efforts on the defensive end for the past two seasons, claiming that the Defensive Player of the Year award rightfully belonged to him.
“To be honest, I feel I've been snubbed two years in a row, and Im serious. And that's one selfish thing about me. . . . I feel like I should have won it.” - LeBron James
The four-time NBA MVP prides himself for taking on the best players of opposing teams, most of the time, shutting them down in the process.
"To be honest, I feel I've been snubbed two years in a row, and Im serious. And that's one selfish thing about me. . . . I feel like I should have won it," James told the Sun Sentinel.
The Akron native opted to join Miami in 2010, thinking that he would have a better chance of becoming an NBA champion, with Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, and him as the core trio of the franchise.
However, life was not at all smooth sailing for James and company as they, superstars in their own right, had to adjust with playing alongside each other.
"We were 9-8. . . . We were out of sync and me and D-Wade were looking at each other like, 'Did we make the right choice, man? Is this what we really wanted?'" he revealed.
Nevertheless, they were able to find a solution to the puzzle by accepting and embracing roles that would perfectly suit them, individually.
"D-Wade came to me and was like, 'Man, I think in order for us to be great you have to be The Guy. . . . In order for us to accomplish what we want to accomplish while we are playing together, you have to be the guy you were in Cleveland on this team' You want me to take the keys? He was like. 'Absolutely' . . . that's when I was like, 'This guy, that's special," he disclosed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy