LeBron James Claims that He Should’ve Won the Defensive Player of the Year Award Twice, Reveals How he Became 'The' Guy in Miami
By Mark Wayne Eubank | February 12, 2014 9:24 PM EST
Miami Heat superstar LeBron James is frustrated by the fact that the NBA failed to recognize his efforts on the defensive end for the past two seasons, claiming that the Defensive Player of the Year award rightfully belonged to him.
“To be honest, I feel I've been snubbed two years in a row, and Im serious. And that's one selfish thing about me. . . . I feel like I should have won it.” - LeBron James
The four-time NBA MVP prides himself for taking on the best players of opposing teams, most of the time, shutting them down in the process.
"To be honest, I feel I've been snubbed two years in a row, and Im serious. And that's one selfish thing about me. . . . I feel like I should have won it," James told the Sun Sentinel.
The Akron native opted to join Miami in 2010, thinking that he would have a better chance of becoming an NBA champion, with Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, and him as the core trio of the franchise.
However, life was not at all smooth sailing for James and company as they, superstars in their own right, had to adjust with playing alongside each other.
"We were 9-8. . . . We were out of sync and me and D-Wade were looking at each other like, 'Did we make the right choice, man? Is this what we really wanted?'" he revealed.
Nevertheless, they were able to find a solution to the puzzle by accepting and embracing roles that would perfectly suit them, individually.
"D-Wade came to me and was like, 'Man, I think in order for us to be great you have to be The Guy. . . . In order for us to accomplish what we want to accomplish while we are playing together, you have to be the guy you were in Cleveland on this team' You want me to take the keys? He was like. 'Absolutely' . . . that's when I was like, 'This guy, that's special," he disclosed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Liverpool FC: Brendan Rodgers Accedes That His Days As Reds Boss Could Be Numbered
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James