LeBron James Claims that He Should’ve Won the Defensive Player of the Year Award Twice, Reveals How he Became 'The' Guy in Miami
By Mark Wayne Eubank | February 12, 2014 9:24 PM EST
Miami Heat superstar LeBron James is frustrated by the fact that the NBA failed to recognize his efforts on the defensive end for the past two seasons, claiming that the Defensive Player of the Year award rightfully belonged to him.
“To be honest, I feel I've been snubbed two years in a row, and Im serious. And that's one selfish thing about me. . . . I feel like I should have won it.” - LeBron James
The four-time NBA MVP prides himself for taking on the best players of opposing teams, most of the time, shutting them down in the process.
"To be honest, I feel I've been snubbed two years in a row, and Im serious. And that's one selfish thing about me. . . . I feel like I should have won it," James told the Sun Sentinel.
The Akron native opted to join Miami in 2010, thinking that he would have a better chance of becoming an NBA champion, with Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, and him as the core trio of the franchise.
However, life was not at all smooth sailing for James and company as they, superstars in their own right, had to adjust with playing alongside each other.
"We were 9-8. . . . We were out of sync and me and D-Wade were looking at each other like, 'Did we make the right choice, man? Is this what we really wanted?'" he revealed.
Nevertheless, they were able to find a solution to the puzzle by accepting and embracing roles that would perfectly suit them, individually.
"D-Wade came to me and was like, 'Man, I think in order for us to be great you have to be The Guy. . . . In order for us to accomplish what we want to accomplish while we are playing together, you have to be the guy you were in Cleveland on this team' You want me to take the keys? He was like. 'Absolutely' . . . that's when I was like, 'This guy, that's special," he disclosed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Green Bay Packers Vs. Chicago Bears Live Streaming Info And Preview
- Grigor Dimitrov Turns To Novak Djokovic For Love Advice; Dimitrov and Sharapova At The 2014 China Open
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate