LeBron James Claims that He Should’ve Won the Defensive Player of the Year Award Twice, Reveals How he Became 'The' Guy in Miami
By Mark Wayne Eubank | February 12, 2014 9:24 PM EST
Miami Heat superstar LeBron James is frustrated by the fact that the NBA failed to recognize his efforts on the defensive end for the past two seasons, claiming that the Defensive Player of the Year award rightfully belonged to him.
“To be honest, I feel I've been snubbed two years in a row, and Im serious. And that's one selfish thing about me. . . . I feel like I should have won it.” - LeBron James
The four-time NBA MVP prides himself for taking on the best players of opposing teams, most of the time, shutting them down in the process.
"To be honest, I feel I've been snubbed two years in a row, and Im serious. And that's one selfish thing about me. . . . I feel like I should have won it," James told the Sun Sentinel.
The Akron native opted to join Miami in 2010, thinking that he would have a better chance of becoming an NBA champion, with Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, and him as the core trio of the franchise.
However, life was not at all smooth sailing for James and company as they, superstars in their own right, had to adjust with playing alongside each other.
"We were 9-8. . . . We were out of sync and me and D-Wade were looking at each other like, 'Did we make the right choice, man? Is this what we really wanted?'" he revealed.
Nevertheless, they were able to find a solution to the puzzle by accepting and embracing roles that would perfectly suit them, individually.
"D-Wade came to me and was like, 'Man, I think in order for us to be great you have to be The Guy. . . . In order for us to accomplish what we want to accomplish while we are playing together, you have to be the guy you were in Cleveland on this team' You want me to take the keys? He was like. 'Absolutely' . . . that's when I was like, 'This guy, that's special," he disclosed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying