Box Office Collection: Vijay's 'Jilla', Ajith's 'Veeram', Vijay Sethupathi's 'Rummy' and Other Tamil Releases
By sangeetha seshagiri | February 12, 2014 8:59 PM EST
The last weekend (7-9 February) was an average fare at the Tamil Nadu box office as there were no big releases, and the new films failed to set the cash registers ringing.
Vijay-Kajal still from "Jilla" (Twitter/Jithan Ramesh)
Ajith's "Veeram" and Vijay's "Jilla" were the two big releases of January 2014. After these films hit the screens, a spate of Tamil films made it to theatres, but they have not been able to do fantastic business with an exception of the small film "Goli Soda."
With the collections of "Jilla" and "Veeram" dropping down, new releases were expected to set the box office on fire. However, that did not happen and the last weekend was pretty average.
Check below the box office status of "Jilla", "Veeram", "Goli Soda", "Rummy", "Pulivaal" and "Pannaiyaarum Padminiyum."
Vijay's "Jilla" have performed well at the box office, despite facing strong competition from Ajith's "Veeram."
The film has reportedly minted over ₹35 crore nett in Tamil Nadu. The performance of "Jilla" is below average in Tamil Nadu due to 30 percent entertainment tax. However, it has turned out to be a hit outside the state.
The film's collections have dropped, but it is still running successfully in several theatres not just in Tamil Nadu but also in Kerala. The action-packed entertainer is all set to complete 35-day theatrical run on Thursday (13 February).
Ajith's "Veeram" still continues to attract family audience to theatres, thanks to its content. Ajith's massive screen presence, action sequences, comedy tracks and dialogues in the film have impressed the critics and the audience alike.
"Veeram" has managed to sustain well even after completing its 30-day theatrical run. Although the screen count of the film has decreased owing to new releases, the film still continues to run successfully in several theatres.
The Ajith starrer has reportedly netted over ₹39 crore at the Tamil Nadu box office. "Veeram" performance is average in Tamil Nadu due to 30 percent entertainment tax, but the film is a hit outside the state.
The action entertainer is clearly leading over "Jilla" in Tamil Nadu.
"Goli Soda", which released on 24 January, has turned out to be a super hit in Tamil Nadu. Tirrupathy Brothers, the producers of "Goli Soda", have officially announced that the film has netted ₹8 crore in 13 days, which is fantastic for a small budget film.
The success of "Goli Soda" has once again reiterated the fact that content is the king.
The film has been receiving rave reviews not just from the critics and the audience, but also from some of the popular celebrities of the Tamil film industry. Superstar Rajinikanth, director Murugadoss and Samantha among others have heaped praises on the film.
Vijay Sethupathi's "Rummy" has failed to take the box office by storm. Following back-to-back successful films, Vijay's "Rummy" was one of the most awaited films of 2014. However, the film received mixed reviews upon its release.
According to trade reports, "Rummy" has turned out to be a flop.
Vijay Sethupathi's "Panniyaarum Padminiyum", which released just a week after "Rummy", has turned out to be an average fare at the Tamil Nadu box office.
The film opened with decent reviews, but had a dull start. However, it picked up and did some average business in the opening weekend.
It remains to be seen as to how the film performs in the coming days.
Vemal-Prasanna's "Pulivaal", which received mixed reviews from critics, has taken a below average opening in the first weekend.
Prasanna's performance was lauded by critics and the audience alike, but that did not help the film to get decent collections. Its performance has been below average at the Tamil Nadu box office.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Rob Kardashian's Ex-Girlfriend Adrienne Bailon FInally Removes Cheating Reality Star's Name from Her Butt
- Grey's Anatomy Season 11 Spoilers: Calzona Still on Shaky Ground, April's Baby Bump Gets Real, Karev vs Bailey Anticipated
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install