Box Office Collection: Vijay's 'Jilla', Ajith's 'Veeram', Vijay Sethupathi's 'Rummy' and Other Tamil Releases
By sangeetha seshagiri | February 12, 2014 8:59 PM EST
The last weekend (7-9 February) was an average fare at the Tamil Nadu box office as there were no big releases, and the new films failed to set the cash registers ringing.
Vijay-Kajal still from "Jilla" (Twitter/Jithan Ramesh)
Ajith's "Veeram" and Vijay's "Jilla" were the two big releases of January 2014. After these films hit the screens, a spate of Tamil films made it to theatres, but they have not been able to do fantastic business with an exception of the small film "Goli Soda."
With the collections of "Jilla" and "Veeram" dropping down, new releases were expected to set the box office on fire. However, that did not happen and the last weekend was pretty average.
Check below the box office status of "Jilla", "Veeram", "Goli Soda", "Rummy", "Pulivaal" and "Pannaiyaarum Padminiyum."
Vijay's "Jilla" have performed well at the box office, despite facing strong competition from Ajith's "Veeram."
The film has reportedly minted over ₹35 crore nett in Tamil Nadu. The performance of "Jilla" is below average in Tamil Nadu due to 30 percent entertainment tax. However, it has turned out to be a hit outside the state.
The film's collections have dropped, but it is still running successfully in several theatres not just in Tamil Nadu but also in Kerala. The action-packed entertainer is all set to complete 35-day theatrical run on Thursday (13 February).
Ajith's "Veeram" still continues to attract family audience to theatres, thanks to its content. Ajith's massive screen presence, action sequences, comedy tracks and dialogues in the film have impressed the critics and the audience alike.
"Veeram" has managed to sustain well even after completing its 30-day theatrical run. Although the screen count of the film has decreased owing to new releases, the film still continues to run successfully in several theatres.
The Ajith starrer has reportedly netted over ₹39 crore at the Tamil Nadu box office. "Veeram" performance is average in Tamil Nadu due to 30 percent entertainment tax, but the film is a hit outside the state.
The action entertainer is clearly leading over "Jilla" in Tamil Nadu.
"Goli Soda", which released on 24 January, has turned out to be a super hit in Tamil Nadu. Tirrupathy Brothers, the producers of "Goli Soda", have officially announced that the film has netted ₹8 crore in 13 days, which is fantastic for a small budget film.
The success of "Goli Soda" has once again reiterated the fact that content is the king.
The film has been receiving rave reviews not just from the critics and the audience, but also from some of the popular celebrities of the Tamil film industry. Superstar Rajinikanth, director Murugadoss and Samantha among others have heaped praises on the film.
Vijay Sethupathi's "Rummy" has failed to take the box office by storm. Following back-to-back successful films, Vijay's "Rummy" was one of the most awaited films of 2014. However, the film received mixed reviews upon its release.
According to trade reports, "Rummy" has turned out to be a flop.
Vijay Sethupathi's "Panniyaarum Padminiyum", which released just a week after "Rummy", has turned out to be an average fare at the Tamil Nadu box office.
The film opened with decent reviews, but had a dull start. However, it picked up and did some average business in the opening weekend.
It remains to be seen as to how the film performs in the coming days.
Vemal-Prasanna's "Pulivaal", which received mixed reviews from critics, has taken a below average opening in the first weekend.
Prasanna's performance was lauded by critics and the audience alike, but that did not help the film to get decent collections. Its performance has been below average at the Tamil Nadu box office.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy 2’ Nebula Is Alive And James Gunn Wants Fans To See More Of Her
- Selena Gomez And Justin Bieber: Songstress Fears Pregnancy After Experiencing Pregnancy Symptoms—Report
- 'American Horror Story' Season 4 Episode 8 Spoilers: Big Twist Features Dandy In Blood Bath
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Katey Sagal On Gemma Teller’s Fate in ‘Red Rose’ [VIDEO]
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast