Box Office Collection: Vijay's 'Jilla', Ajith's 'Veeram', Vijay Sethupathi's 'Rummy' and Other Tamil Releases
By sangeetha seshagiri | February 12, 2014 8:59 PM EST
The last weekend (7-9 February) was an average fare at the Tamil Nadu box office as there were no big releases, and the new films failed to set the cash registers ringing.
Vijay-Kajal still from "Jilla" (Twitter/Jithan Ramesh)
Ajith's "Veeram" and Vijay's "Jilla" were the two big releases of January 2014. After these films hit the screens, a spate of Tamil films made it to theatres, but they have not been able to do fantastic business with an exception of the small film "Goli Soda."
With the collections of "Jilla" and "Veeram" dropping down, new releases were expected to set the box office on fire. However, that did not happen and the last weekend was pretty average.
Check below the box office status of "Jilla", "Veeram", "Goli Soda", "Rummy", "Pulivaal" and "Pannaiyaarum Padminiyum."
Vijay's "Jilla" have performed well at the box office, despite facing strong competition from Ajith's "Veeram."
The film has reportedly minted over ₹35 crore nett in Tamil Nadu. The performance of "Jilla" is below average in Tamil Nadu due to 30 percent entertainment tax. However, it has turned out to be a hit outside the state.
The film's collections have dropped, but it is still running successfully in several theatres not just in Tamil Nadu but also in Kerala. The action-packed entertainer is all set to complete 35-day theatrical run on Thursday (13 February).
Ajith's "Veeram" still continues to attract family audience to theatres, thanks to its content. Ajith's massive screen presence, action sequences, comedy tracks and dialogues in the film have impressed the critics and the audience alike.
"Veeram" has managed to sustain well even after completing its 30-day theatrical run. Although the screen count of the film has decreased owing to new releases, the film still continues to run successfully in several theatres.
The Ajith starrer has reportedly netted over ₹39 crore at the Tamil Nadu box office. "Veeram" performance is average in Tamil Nadu due to 30 percent entertainment tax, but the film is a hit outside the state.
The action entertainer is clearly leading over "Jilla" in Tamil Nadu.
"Goli Soda", which released on 24 January, has turned out to be a super hit in Tamil Nadu. Tirrupathy Brothers, the producers of "Goli Soda", have officially announced that the film has netted ₹8 crore in 13 days, which is fantastic for a small budget film.
The success of "Goli Soda" has once again reiterated the fact that content is the king.
The film has been receiving rave reviews not just from the critics and the audience, but also from some of the popular celebrities of the Tamil film industry. Superstar Rajinikanth, director Murugadoss and Samantha among others have heaped praises on the film.
Vijay Sethupathi's "Rummy" has failed to take the box office by storm. Following back-to-back successful films, Vijay's "Rummy" was one of the most awaited films of 2014. However, the film received mixed reviews upon its release.
According to trade reports, "Rummy" has turned out to be a flop.
Vijay Sethupathi's "Panniyaarum Padminiyum", which released just a week after "Rummy", has turned out to be an average fare at the Tamil Nadu box office.
The film opened with decent reviews, but had a dull start. However, it picked up and did some average business in the opening weekend.
It remains to be seen as to how the film performs in the coming days.
Vemal-Prasanna's "Pulivaal", which received mixed reviews from critics, has taken a below average opening in the first weekend.
Prasanna's performance was lauded by critics and the audience alike, but that did not help the film to get decent collections. Its performance has been below average at the Tamil Nadu box office.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Will Name Second Child Diana, Camilla Parker-Bowles Not Invited to Prince George’s Birthday - Reports
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Ian Somerhalder and Nina Dobrev Drama: Heartbroken The Vampire Diaries Actress Reacts to Nikki Reed Dating News—Report
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales