Box Office Collection: Vijay's 'Jilla', Ajith's 'Veeram', Vijay Sethupathi's 'Rummy' and Other Tamil Releases
By sangeetha seshagiri | February 12, 2014 8:59 PM EST
The last weekend (7-9 February) was an average fare at the Tamil Nadu box office as there were no big releases, and the new films failed to set the cash registers ringing.
Vijay-Kajal still from "Jilla" (Twitter/Jithan Ramesh)
Ajith's "Veeram" and Vijay's "Jilla" were the two big releases of January 2014. After these films hit the screens, a spate of Tamil films made it to theatres, but they have not been able to do fantastic business with an exception of the small film "Goli Soda."
With the collections of "Jilla" and "Veeram" dropping down, new releases were expected to set the box office on fire. However, that did not happen and the last weekend was pretty average.
Check below the box office status of "Jilla", "Veeram", "Goli Soda", "Rummy", "Pulivaal" and "Pannaiyaarum Padminiyum."
Vijay's "Jilla" have performed well at the box office, despite facing strong competition from Ajith's "Veeram."
The film has reportedly minted over ₹35 crore nett in Tamil Nadu. The performance of "Jilla" is below average in Tamil Nadu due to 30 percent entertainment tax. However, it has turned out to be a hit outside the state.
The film's collections have dropped, but it is still running successfully in several theatres not just in Tamil Nadu but also in Kerala. The action-packed entertainer is all set to complete 35-day theatrical run on Thursday (13 February).
Ajith's "Veeram" still continues to attract family audience to theatres, thanks to its content. Ajith's massive screen presence, action sequences, comedy tracks and dialogues in the film have impressed the critics and the audience alike.
"Veeram" has managed to sustain well even after completing its 30-day theatrical run. Although the screen count of the film has decreased owing to new releases, the film still continues to run successfully in several theatres.
The Ajith starrer has reportedly netted over ₹39 crore at the Tamil Nadu box office. "Veeram" performance is average in Tamil Nadu due to 30 percent entertainment tax, but the film is a hit outside the state.
The action entertainer is clearly leading over "Jilla" in Tamil Nadu.
"Goli Soda", which released on 24 January, has turned out to be a super hit in Tamil Nadu. Tirrupathy Brothers, the producers of "Goli Soda", have officially announced that the film has netted ₹8 crore in 13 days, which is fantastic for a small budget film.
The success of "Goli Soda" has once again reiterated the fact that content is the king.
The film has been receiving rave reviews not just from the critics and the audience, but also from some of the popular celebrities of the Tamil film industry. Superstar Rajinikanth, director Murugadoss and Samantha among others have heaped praises on the film.
Vijay Sethupathi's "Rummy" has failed to take the box office by storm. Following back-to-back successful films, Vijay's "Rummy" was one of the most awaited films of 2014. However, the film received mixed reviews upon its release.
According to trade reports, "Rummy" has turned out to be a flop.
Vijay Sethupathi's "Panniyaarum Padminiyum", which released just a week after "Rummy", has turned out to be an average fare at the Tamil Nadu box office.
The film opened with decent reviews, but had a dull start. However, it picked up and did some average business in the opening weekend.
It remains to be seen as to how the film performs in the coming days.
Vemal-Prasanna's "Pulivaal", which received mixed reviews from critics, has taken a below average opening in the first weekend.
Prasanna's performance was lauded by critics and the audience alike, but that did not help the film to get decent collections. Its performance has been below average at the Tamil Nadu box office.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories