Skoda Prepping Sub-4m Sedan For India: Report
By greeshma m | February 12, 2014 8:41 PM EST
Skoda India is said to be planning to launch a new compact sedan in the country to expand the company's portfolio, says a new report.
A Skoda logo seen on a car
The new sedan being planned by the Czech carmaker is based on the company's Rapid's PQ25 platform and will be produced at the company's Aurangabad plant in Maharashtra. If reports ring true, the car will become the company's first compact sedan globally. The upcoming Skoda Rapid Compact Sedan will take on the country's best selling cars like Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire and the Honda Amaze.
Confirming the same, Pawel Szuflak, Skoda India's marketing and sales director, told the Economic Times, "We are working on the strategy to develop the brand in the luxury space. We are looking at different products, including the sub-four-metre compact sedan, as an answer to the growing aspirations of the Indian customers to move to higher products."
The details about the specifications and the availability of the India-bound vehicle are yet to be known. However, a Motorid's report indicates that the upcoming Skoda sedan is likely to pack 1.5 litre four cylinder diesel engine.
Earlier on Monday, the Skoda India has launched a new Skoda Superb with a price tag of ₹ 18.87 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi). The car will be available for purchase in showrooms across India. The petrol version of the car packs 1.8-litre, direct injection, turbocharged motor, which can churn out a power of 158 bhp and torque of 250 Nm. The diesel version of Superb comes with 2.0-litre TDI diesel, which can generate a power output of 140 PS and a torque of 320 Nm.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier to Give $5,000 Assistance to Victims’ Families; Bankruptcy Looms as 2 Air Mishaps Would Cost Firm Minimum $80.55 M Compensation
- Foxconn And Pegatron Corp Readies For Apple's iPhone 6 Mass Production This Month
- KFC & McDonald’s Accused of Serving ‘Expired’ Meat to Customers
- Malaysian Airlines Ukraine Tragedy Hits Asian Stock Markets
- Fairfax Chief Executive Greg Hywood Reiterates Commitment to Radio; No Merger With Macquarie Radio
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June