Rail Budget 2014: Passenger Fare, Freight Charges Remain Unchanged
By Johnlee Varghese | February 12, 2014 7:47 PM EST
In a populist move, the Union Railway Minister in the interim railway budget has left fares unchanged and announced 72 new trains across the country.
Passengers travel in an overcrowded train in the eastern Indian city of Patna February 23, 2010/Reuters
With the General election 2014 round the corner, the move is expected to please the people. The presentation by Mallikarjun Kharge, union railway minister, who was presenting his maiden budget, was mired by an uproar in the parliament over Telegana
Here are the key highlights from the Interim Railway Budget 2014
- Passenger fares remain unchanged.
- Freight rates have also been left untouched.
- The Railway Minister has also announced that there will be 72 new trains, of which 17 will be premium trains and 38 passenger trains.
- Indian Rail Finance Corporation will raise ₹12,800 crore from the market in FY15.
- The Railway Ministry is looking at a turn-over of ₹6,005 crore coming through Private-public partnership projects in the upcoming year.
- Gross Traffic receipts for FY15 are estimated at ₹1.61 crore.
In his budget speech, the Railway Minister also presented a report card of the Indian Railway under his tenure.
- Electrification of 4,556 km of line.
- Successfully met 6th pay panel recommendations.
- Completed doubling gauge of 2,227 km of railway line.
- FY14 plan outlay revised to ₹59,359 crore.
- Fund balances likely to be ₹12,728 crore versus ₹8,000 Cr (YoY)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- Taylor Swift's Famous Ex-Boyfriends: From Harry Styles To Joe Jonas [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Reportedly Prohibits Camilla Parker-Bowles From ‘Seeing Her Family’ And Newborn
- Ebola in US: Stock Surge for Pharmaceutical Companies Working on Vaccine
- MH370 Search Update: Was Reported That Experts Claim To Know The Possible Location; Suggest Authorities To Look ‘Further South In The Indian Ocean’
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy: Duchess Forced By The Queen To Be Out In The Public Again
- 5 Things You Should Know About House Training Your Pets
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Available Through O2 For £380, Other Carriers To Follow Soon
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money