Rail Budget 2014: Passenger Fare, Freight Charges Remain Unchanged
By Johnlee Varghese | February 12, 2014 7:47 PM EST
In a populist move, the Union Railway Minister in the interim railway budget has left fares unchanged and announced 72 new trains across the country.
Passengers travel in an overcrowded train in the eastern Indian city of Patna February 23, 2010/Reuters
With the General election 2014 round the corner, the move is expected to please the people. The presentation by Mallikarjun Kharge, union railway minister, who was presenting his maiden budget, was mired by an uproar in the parliament over Telegana
Here are the key highlights from the Interim Railway Budget 2014
- Passenger fares remain unchanged.
- Freight rates have also been left untouched.
- The Railway Minister has also announced that there will be 72 new trains, of which 17 will be premium trains and 38 passenger trains.
- Indian Rail Finance Corporation will raise ₹12,800 crore from the market in FY15.
- The Railway Ministry is looking at a turn-over of ₹6,005 crore coming through Private-public partnership projects in the upcoming year.
- Gross Traffic receipts for FY15 are estimated at ₹1.61 crore.
In his budget speech, the Railway Minister also presented a report card of the Indian Railway under his tenure.
- Electrification of 4,556 km of line.
- Successfully met 6th pay panel recommendations.
- Completed doubling gauge of 2,227 km of railway line.
- FY14 plan outlay revised to ₹59,359 crore.
- Fund balances likely to be ₹12,728 crore versus ₹8,000 Cr (YoY)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- US Police Officers Shoot 12-Year-Old Child ‘By Mistake’
- Woman Charged For Leaving Her Baby in Drain in Australia Needs 'Compassion' Says Social Worker
- Image Of An Alien Revealed By US Intelligence Agent Suggests Existence Of Extraterrestrial Life -- Report
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- New Zealanders in Australia Consider Moving Back to Home Country For Better Life
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]