Rail Budget 2014: Passenger Fare, Freight Charges Remain Unchanged
By Johnlee Varghese | February 12, 2014 7:47 PM EST
In a populist move, the Union Railway Minister in the interim railway budget has left fares unchanged and announced 72 new trains across the country.
Passengers travel in an overcrowded train in the eastern Indian city of Patna February 23, 2010/Reuters
With the General election 2014 round the corner, the move is expected to please the people. The presentation by Mallikarjun Kharge, union railway minister, who was presenting his maiden budget, was mired by an uproar in the parliament over Telegana
Here are the key highlights from the Interim Railway Budget 2014
- Passenger fares remain unchanged.
- Freight rates have also been left untouched.
- The Railway Minister has also announced that there will be 72 new trains, of which 17 will be premium trains and 38 passenger trains.
- Indian Rail Finance Corporation will raise ₹12,800 crore from the market in FY15.
- The Railway Ministry is looking at a turn-over of ₹6,005 crore coming through Private-public partnership projects in the upcoming year.
- Gross Traffic receipts for FY15 are estimated at ₹1.61 crore.
In his budget speech, the Railway Minister also presented a report card of the Indian Railway under his tenure.
- Electrification of 4,556 km of line.
- Successfully met 6th pay panel recommendations.
- Completed doubling gauge of 2,227 km of railway line.
- FY14 plan outlay revised to ₹59,359 crore.
- Fund balances likely to be ₹12,728 crore versus ₹8,000 Cr (YoY)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- 15 Orgasms/Week, $27K/Yr Salary Not Bad for Professional Toy Tester Cara Houiellebecq (VIDEO)
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- New Zealand Drafts IWC Resolution to Stop Japanese Whalers from Hunting in 2015
- Pacific Islands Forum Delegates Appeal for Changes to Climate Policies, Better Marine Life Protection
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools