Rail Budget 2014: Passenger Fare, Freight Charges Remain Unchanged
By Johnlee Varghese | February 12, 2014 7:47 PM EST
In a populist move, the Union Railway Minister in the interim railway budget has left fares unchanged and announced 72 new trains across the country.
Passengers travel in an overcrowded train in the eastern Indian city of Patna February 23, 2010/Reuters
With the General election 2014 round the corner, the move is expected to please the people. The presentation by Mallikarjun Kharge, union railway minister, who was presenting his maiden budget, was mired by an uproar in the parliament over Telegana
Here are the key highlights from the Interim Railway Budget 2014
- Passenger fares remain unchanged.
- Freight rates have also been left untouched.
- The Railway Minister has also announced that there will be 72 new trains, of which 17 will be premium trains and 38 passenger trains.
- Indian Rail Finance Corporation will raise ₹12,800 crore from the market in FY15.
- The Railway Ministry is looking at a turn-over of ₹6,005 crore coming through Private-public partnership projects in the upcoming year.
- Gross Traffic receipts for FY15 are estimated at ₹1.61 crore.
In his budget speech, the Railway Minister also presented a report card of the Indian Railway under his tenure.
- Electrification of 4,556 km of line.
- Successfully met 6th pay panel recommendations.
- Completed doubling gauge of 2,227 km of railway line.
- FY14 plan outlay revised to ₹59,359 crore.
- Fund balances likely to be ₹12,728 crore versus ₹8,000 Cr (YoY)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Kate Middleton All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- Baby Corpses Found in Storage Locker in Canada
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report