Philip Seymour Hoffman’s Love Triangle: Actor was Torn between Two Women, Secret Diaries Reveal
By Keerthi Mohan | February 12, 2014 6:18 PM EST
Philip Seymour Hoffman, who was found dead in his Manhattan apartment on Feb. 2 due to an apparent drug overdose, was caught up in a love triangle before his death.
Police officials on Tuesday found two diaries at his West Village apartment and in them, he detailed his heroin addiction and of being in love with two women.
Mimi O'Donnell (3rd L), former partner of actor Phillip Seymour Hoffman, stands with their children Willa (in purple), Tallulah (4th L) and Cooper (R) as Hoffman's casket is loaded into a hearse following his funeral at St. Ignatius church in the Manhattan borough of New York February 7, 2014.
The 46-year-old actor wrote about feeling “caught in between” long-time girlfriend Mimi O'Donnell and another woman he recently met.
The identity of the second woman has not been revealed, and it is not known when they met. But she is said to have caused a strain in their relationship, that started when Hoffman was directing “In Arabia We’d All Be Kings” in 1999. O’Donnell was the costume designer of the film.
This unidentified new woman is said to be one of the reasons why O’Donnell wanted him to move out of their Jane Street home three months before his death, Hoffman implied in his diary entries, New York Post’s Page Six reported.
Also, O’Donnell did not want Hoffman around their children - son Cooper, 10, and daughters Tallulah, 7, and Willa, 5 — when he was using drugs.
In addition to penning details of his relationship with the new woman, Hoffman had also chronicled his descent into drug abuse. He wrote about his failure to control his addiction by attending Narcotics Anonymous meetings and expressed shame that he was drinking and abusing drugs after being sober for over two decades.
The diary entries are often hard to read, and sometimes sentences run into each other, according to reports.
“It’s stream of consciousness and difficult to follow,” one source who saw the entries told NBC News. “In one line he refers to ‘Frank who always owes money,’ and on the same page he writes about a 15-year-old girl from Texas.”
“It seems he did at least part of it in rehab,” said another source. “It definitely contained some soul-searching. But there is also a fair amount of rambling that doesn’t make sense.”
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- 'Vampire Diaries' Season 6 Spoilers: Stefan Proposes To 'Elena Williams' In Promo Trailer For Episode 4 Titled 'Black Hole Sun' [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’: Blake And Louise Tell The True Story
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Oct. 20-24 Spoilers: An ‘Unexpected Visitor’ Changes Everything For Sami Plus Updates On Salemites
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored
- Spain Offers To Train Iraqi Troops To Fight Back ISIS Militants: Kurdish Forces Making Gains In Kobani Against ISIS Surge