Grounded Kingfisher Airlines Posts $132 Million Q3 Loss
February 12, 2014 4:45 PM EST
Grounded Kingfisher Airlines(KING.NS), which has not flown in more than a year, reported yet another quarterly loss as it had no income from operations.
Kingfisher to appeal winding-up plea by creditor
Kingfisher, once India's no. 2 carrier and headed by flamboyant liquor baron Vijay Mallya, said net loss was 8.22 billion rupees for its fiscal third quarter to end-December, compared with a loss of 7.55 billion rupees a year earlier.
Kingfisher has not flown since October 2012 for want of cash, and owes about $1 billion to banks, and more to airports and the tax office. Bids to revive operations have seen little success, while some creditors have filed so-called winding up petitions at a court.
Kingfisher had never reported a profit during its eight years of operations.
Kingfisher, which has not flown in more than a year for want of cash, said it would appeal against the Karnataka High Court's order admitting the petition by Aerotron Ltd. Kingfisher said Aerotron was an unsecured creditor.
A Kingfisher spokesman declined to comment further.
Kingfisher, controlled by flamboyant liquor baron Vijay Mallya, owes more than $1 billion to Indian state-run lenders, and hundreds of millions of dollars more to airports and the tax office among others.
India does not have a formal bankruptcy process. Liquidation pleas could take years before a final verdict.
Kingfisher has said several times in the past that it was trying to arrange funds and revive operations, but has seen little success so far.
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Hong Kong Protests Cause Closure Of Banks & Instagram Outages In China
- Federal Court Orders Coles To Hang Signs For 3 Months That It Passed Off Par-Baked Bread As Fresh From The Oven
- Microsoft To Have Its Own Retail Outlet in Manhattan
- Telstra To Convert Old Payphones Into Wi-Fi Hotspots
- #Bendgate Video Hits Almost 46 Million In 5 Days, But Impact On Apple’s Finances Minimal
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes