Grounded Kingfisher Airlines Posts $132 Million Q3 Loss
February 12, 2014 4:45 PM EST
Grounded Kingfisher Airlines(KING.NS), which has not flown in more than a year, reported yet another quarterly loss as it had no income from operations.
Kingfisher to appeal winding-up plea by creditor
Kingfisher, once India's no. 2 carrier and headed by flamboyant liquor baron Vijay Mallya, said net loss was 8.22 billion rupees for its fiscal third quarter to end-December, compared with a loss of 7.55 billion rupees a year earlier.
Kingfisher has not flown since October 2012 for want of cash, and owes about $1 billion to banks, and more to airports and the tax office. Bids to revive operations have seen little success, while some creditors have filed so-called winding up petitions at a court.
Kingfisher had never reported a profit during its eight years of operations.
Kingfisher, which has not flown in more than a year for want of cash, said it would appeal against the Karnataka High Court's order admitting the petition by Aerotron Ltd. Kingfisher said Aerotron was an unsecured creditor.
A Kingfisher spokesman declined to comment further.
Kingfisher, controlled by flamboyant liquor baron Vijay Mallya, owes more than $1 billion to Indian state-run lenders, and hundreds of millions of dollars more to airports and the tax office among others.
India does not have a formal bankruptcy process. Liquidation pleas could take years before a final verdict.
Kingfisher has said several times in the past that it was trying to arrange funds and revive operations, but has seen little success so far.
Join the Conversation
- Hungry Jack’s Joins McDonald’s Australia Monopoly Campaign With McOpoly Promo
- iPhone 6 Survives Drop, Both Accidental & Intentional
- Apple Inc (AAPL) Stock Surge Expected Soon as Analysts Predict iPhone Opening Weekend Sales
- Furore Over Facebook Mark Zuckerberg $10m Fortress In San Francisco
- Alibaba Sells Extra Shares; IPO Raises $25B, Breaks Global Record
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4