Turmeric Containing Capsules Found to Be Effective Cure for Breast Cancer
By Roshni Mahesh | February 12, 2014 4:37 PM EST
Researchers say that an active ingredient found in turmeric can help fight breast cancer effectively. The study reported in the journal Cancer Prevention Research found that curcumin shrinks breast tumours in mice.
An active ingredient found in turmeric can help fight breast cancer effectively, researchers say.
However, direct intake of the component through diet, can be of little use for this purpose, as it breaks down in the stomach, Daily Mail reported.
To overcome this difficulty, a team of researchers from the University of Louisville in US designed miniature dissolving capsules, two millimetres in length. Each capsule contained 200 milligrams of curcumin.
During the four month study, researchers fed mice either with a diet rich with the spice or surgically implanted two capsules daily.
Results showed that the curcumin implants helped reduce size of the tumour and prevented further growth. When surgically implanted, curcumin directly reaches the bloodstream, blocking activities of hormones that promote tumour growth. On the other hand, while delivering the same compound through diet, body will fail to get enough curcumin to fight the tumour.
"Curcumin is widely known for its anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory activities," the researchers told, Daily Mail. "The implants resulted in significant reduction in both the tumour multiplicity and tumour volume. But the dietary curcumin was ineffective."
Similar to the current study, countless studies in the past have highlighted anti-cancer power of turmeric. In 2012, scientists from the Cancer Research UK and the National Institute for Health Research Experimental Cancer Medicine (ECMC) reported that curcumin in turmeric can help cure bowel cancer.
Last year, a team of researchers from the Louisiana State University in the US found that a combo of the natural compounds derived from plants like curcumin (turmeric), isoflavone (soybeans), indo-3-carbinol (cruciferous plants), c-phycocyanin (spirulina), reservatrol (grapes), and quercetin, (flavonoid found in fruits, vegetables, and tea) was 100 percent successful in killing breast cancer cells. Interestingly, the mixture made from these six foods completed the task without leaving any toxic side effects on the healthy cells.
Apart from its anti-cancer effects, curcumin has also been found effective in preventing lung damage in premature babies.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Super Model Andreja Pejic Confirms Identity As Transgender
- Complete Darkness at Night Key Brings Maximum Success of Breast Cancer Therapy: Latest Study Reveals
- 9 Tips For Surviving a Plane Crash
- Six Seconds of Exercise 'Can Transform Health': Study Reveals
- Men Who Work in Shifts Usually are at Higher Risk of Suffering From Type 2 Diabetes
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal