Some Species of Crocodiles Climb Trees, says New Study
By Parismita Goswami | February 12, 2014 4:26 PM EST
Crocodiles are not just sluggish creatures that lay under the sun waiting for their trap all day long. A new study has found that certain species of crocodiles can climb trees as far as four meters high, despite lacking the morphological adaptation of climbing vertically. The study was conducted by Vladimir Dinets, Research Assistant Professor, Department of Psychology and his colleagues at the University of Tennessee.
Some crocodiles climb trees (wiki commons)
"Climbing a steep hill or steep branch is mechanically similar, assuming the branch is wide enough to walk on. Still, the ability to climb vertically is a measure of crocodiles' spectacular agility on land", the authors wrote.
The team monitored the behavior of the crocodiles existing in three continents- Africa, Australia and North America. It turned out that about four species of this reptile could climb trees. Moreover, smaller crocodiles can climb higher than the larger ones.
The crocodiles that were observed climbing trees, whether during day or at night, were found restless, falling or jumping into the water when an approaching observer was about ten meters away. This peculiar response led the researchers to believe that the climbing behavior is associated with surveillance and thermoregulation of habitat.
"The most frequent observations of tree-basking were in areas where there were few places to bask on the ground, implying that the individuals needed alternatives for regulating their body temperature. Likewise, their wary nature suggests that climbing leads to improved site surveillance of potential threats and prey", they added.
Some previous research on this species that includes crocodile, alligators and caimans- found that this group uses tools such as twigs and branches to set a trap for birds. As soon as the bird gets closer it falls prey to the trap. They use this trick in a particular time of the year.
The details of the findings have been published in Herpetology Notes Journal.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Yuka, A Woolly Mammoth, Is Just 39,000 Years Young, And Wears A Reddish Coat
- Army Of Moonwalkers May Soon Be Ready As Michael Jackson Reportedly Cloned Himself Before Death
- Social Media Conspiracy Fires Up Due To Ancient Engraving On Mars [Watch Video]
- Aussies Love Robots More Than The Japanese Do
- Nanoplug Invisible Hearing Aid Comes With High-Tech Features And Nano-Battery That Recharges Instantaneously
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery