Some Species of Crocodiles Climb Trees, says New Study
By Parismita Goswami | February 12, 2014 4:26 PM EST
Crocodiles are not just sluggish creatures that lay under the sun waiting for their trap all day long. A new study has found that certain species of crocodiles can climb trees as far as four meters high, despite lacking the morphological adaptation of climbing vertically. The study was conducted by Vladimir Dinets, Research Assistant Professor, Department of Psychology and his colleagues at the University of Tennessee.
Some crocodiles climb trees (wiki commons)
"Climbing a steep hill or steep branch is mechanically similar, assuming the branch is wide enough to walk on. Still, the ability to climb vertically is a measure of crocodiles' spectacular agility on land", the authors wrote.
The team monitored the behavior of the crocodiles existing in three continents- Africa, Australia and North America. It turned out that about four species of this reptile could climb trees. Moreover, smaller crocodiles can climb higher than the larger ones.
The crocodiles that were observed climbing trees, whether during day or at night, were found restless, falling or jumping into the water when an approaching observer was about ten meters away. This peculiar response led the researchers to believe that the climbing behavior is associated with surveillance and thermoregulation of habitat.
"The most frequent observations of tree-basking were in areas where there were few places to bask on the ground, implying that the individuals needed alternatives for regulating their body temperature. Likewise, their wary nature suggests that climbing leads to improved site surveillance of potential threats and prey", they added.
Some previous research on this species that includes crocodile, alligators and caimans- found that this group uses tools such as twigs and branches to set a trap for birds. As soon as the bird gets closer it falls prey to the trap. They use this trick in a particular time of the year.
The details of the findings have been published in Herpetology Notes Journal.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Alien Mystery: The Most Famous Unexplained Alien Abduction Cases (Watch Video)
- University of Waterloo U Study Recommends Best Sex Positions To Ease Back Pain During Lovemaking
- Aurora Borealis Paints A Beautiful Picture On The Northern Skies [Watch Video]
- West Seattle Man Accuses Stranger Obese Woman Of Rape While He Was Asleep
- Lady Gaga Wants David Bowie To Perform With Her In Space
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date