Fish Species Thriving Near Earth’s Equator at Risk Due to Climate Change, Warming Ocean Waters; Coastal Communities in Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, Philippines Warned
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 12, 2014 3:31 PM EST
Fishing communities near the Earth's equator, particularly those in Southeast Asia, are at risk of losing their source of food and livelihood. An Australian-led study has found that the burgeoning climate change will make ocean waters to go warmer, pushing marine species to seek comfortable conditions elsewhere.
Fishermen sit on a boat in the Bay of Bengal near Gundalaba village, about 100 km (62 miles) east from Bhubaneswar, March 14, 2007. (representational image)
The Earth's massive ocean waters have been predicted to warm by two to three degrees Celsius by end of the present century.
As such, coastal communities will experience reduced fish haul as fish populations swim away from the equator to find refuge in areas with more forgiving and comfortable temperatures.
"This will have a substantial impact on the human societies that depend on these fish," Dr Jodie Rummer, study lead author from the ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies (Coral CoE) at James Cook University, said.
The increase in warming likewise leads to a loss of performance. The study noted that fishes lose scope for their natural performance in warmer temperatures, which they need to survive, such as evading predators, finding food and generating sufficient energy to breed.
The researchers noted they have actually found four species of fish living above the temperatures at which they function best.
Most of the coastal communities can be found in the equatorial zone. Millions of people in these areas are dependent on marine species for their livelihood and survival.
"There are dire consequences ahead if these fish cannot adapt to the pace at which oceans are warming," Ms Rummer said.
The study appeared in the Global Change Biology journal.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Russia Warns Citizens – Take Selfies, Have Lice
- The Cost Of Getting Infected With Ebola
- Ebola Divides The US: More States Begin Applying Stricter Guidelines Than What CDC Imposed
- Canadian House Owners Preferring To Live In Core City Than In Suburbs: Study
- FIFA May Keep Russia and Ukraine Apart in World Cup 2018
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family