India Seeks to Cancel Vodafone Tax Talks - Memo
February 12, 2014 3:11 PM EST
India plans to withdraw from talks with Vodafone Group Plc to resolve a nearly $2 billion tax dispute after the British operator pushed for the inclusion of a separate tax case in the talks, according to an internal government note seen by Reuters.
A woman walks past a large logo of Vodafone displayed on a shop in Mumbai May 20, 2010.
The finance ministry plans to seek the cabinet's approval to withdraw the conciliation proceedings, the note said. Vodafone (VOD.L) wanted a transfer pricing dispute involving one of its units to be made part of the talks, it said.
Withdrawal of the conciliation proceedings could mean the tax office raising a fresh demand on Vodafone.
"The matter related to Vodafone will be taken to the cabinet, and the cabinet will take a final decision," D.S. Malik, a finance ministry spokesman, told Reuters, declining to share specifics of the proposal.
A Vodafone spokesman in London declined to comment.
The world's second-largest mobile operator, which entered India in 2007 by acquiring Hutchison Whampoa's mobile phone assets, has been contesting a tax bill of about 112 billion rupees over the acquisition.
The Supreme Court ruled in 2012 that Vodafone was not liable to pay any tax over the transaction, but the government changed rules that allowed it to make retroactive tax claims on already-concluded deals, drawing criticism from business groups.
The cabinet in June last year approved a proposal to start conciliation talks with Vodafone over the tax dispute. While formal talks are yet to begin, Vodafone and the government officials had a series of meetings last year.
Vodafone is separately contesting disputes arising out of the so-called transfer pricing deals involving its unit Vodafone India Services Private Ltd. Indian tax office had asked Vodafone to pay about $600 million in the dispute, before the demand was halted by a court.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Hoax Alert: 'Ebola Vaccine Only Works on White Skin' Viral Story Not True
- Local Syrians Have Mixed Reactions To US Airstrikes Against ISIS; Opposition 'Suspicious'
- Melbourne Wakes Up To Anti-Terror Raids: Seabrook Man Arrested For Funding Terrorist Organisation
- Gunman Killed In Brisbane Shoot-out On Live TV
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate