India Seeks to Cancel Vodafone Tax Talks - Memo
February 12, 2014 3:11 PM EST
India plans to withdraw from talks with Vodafone Group Plc to resolve a nearly $2 billion tax dispute after the British operator pushed for the inclusion of a separate tax case in the talks, according to an internal government note seen by Reuters.
A woman walks past a large logo of Vodafone displayed on a shop in Mumbai May 20, 2010.
The finance ministry plans to seek the cabinet's approval to withdraw the conciliation proceedings, the note said. Vodafone (VOD.L) wanted a transfer pricing dispute involving one of its units to be made part of the talks, it said.
Withdrawal of the conciliation proceedings could mean the tax office raising a fresh demand on Vodafone.
"The matter related to Vodafone will be taken to the cabinet, and the cabinet will take a final decision," D.S. Malik, a finance ministry spokesman, told Reuters, declining to share specifics of the proposal.
A Vodafone spokesman in London declined to comment.
The world's second-largest mobile operator, which entered India in 2007 by acquiring Hutchison Whampoa's mobile phone assets, has been contesting a tax bill of about 112 billion rupees over the acquisition.
The Supreme Court ruled in 2012 that Vodafone was not liable to pay any tax over the transaction, but the government changed rules that allowed it to make retroactive tax claims on already-concluded deals, drawing criticism from business groups.
The cabinet in June last year approved a proposal to start conciliation talks with Vodafone over the tax dispute. While formal talks are yet to begin, Vodafone and the government officials had a series of meetings last year.
Vodafone is separately contesting disputes arising out of the so-called transfer pricing deals involving its unit Vodafone India Services Private Ltd. Indian tax office had asked Vodafone to pay about $600 million in the dispute, before the demand was halted by a court.
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Gay Community In Liberia Persecuted For Ebola; Church Leaders Call Virus 'Punishment' For Homosexuality
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'