Dwyane Wade, Gabrielle Union: 'Being Mary Jane' Star Reveals Why She Demands A Prenup Before Wedding
By Vanessa Francisco | February 12, 2014 2:44 PM EST
Gabrielle Union is walking down the aisle for the second time only this time, she is marrying NBA player Dwyane Wade and wants to make sure that everyone's finances stay straight. The "Being Mary Jane" star showed up on "The Arsenio Hall Show" sporting a huge engagement ring and explained her plan.
"The biggest difference between this time and my last marriage," Union shares. "Will be a prenup. At my insistence. If you have your own stuff, you do not need to worry about anyone else's stuff. Everyone should go into a relationship knowing 'I am here for you and you are here for me.' And reality is, I have never seen Dwyane balance a checkbook. I got to protect my stuff." She laughed and added: "It is the wave of the future. Protecting your stuff."
Union also talked about Michael Sam as the first NFL draft prospect to admit being gay. "We should praise the young people for living out loud and living their truth and living proud," she exclaimed.
Gabrielle Union also told Hall that the three-time NBA champion and Miami Heat star does not call all the shots in the relationship. She said she chooses and decides on her acting projects and Wade does not have the final say. While the couple has been dating for a couple of years now, they have not always on the best of terms.
Wade is a divorced father of two young boys, who he has both legal custody of. He also recently admitted that he fathered an infant with a woman other than Union. The couple explained that they were on a "break" when the child was conceived. According to reports, he also has legally adopted his young nephew and vowed to be the father of the child.
Union was married to retired NFL athlete Chris Howard and told Arsenio about several other milestones in her past relationships. Wade and Union have been together since 2009 and got engaged in December of 2013. Forbes has estimated that Dwyane earned around $28.9 million in 2013. Union and Wade said they are planning to tie the know in fall of 2014 but no official date has been publicly confirmed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mark Ruffalo Turns Into Hulk For His Daughter And Another Preschooler
- 'Revenge' Season 4 Spoilers: Daniel, Emily In Twisted Friendship; David Clarke Mystery Growing (Review, Updates)
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- 'The Mentalist' Season 7, Episode 1 Spoilers: The Ending Begins For Patrick Jane And Teresa Lisbon (Synopsis)
- 'CSI Crime Scene Investigation' Season 15 Recap: Episode 7 ‘Road to Recovery' Aired On Nov. 23, 2014, A Girl In A Rehabilitation Facility Ends Up Dead In A Pool And The ‘CSI Las Vegas’ Team Investigated Her Death [WATCH VIDEOS]
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James