Dwyane Wade, Gabrielle Union: 'Being Mary Jane' Star Reveals Why She Demands A Prenup Before Wedding
By Vanessa Francisco | February 12, 2014 2:44 PM EST
Gabrielle Union is walking down the aisle for the second time only this time, she is marrying NBA player Dwyane Wade and wants to make sure that everyone's finances stay straight. The "Being Mary Jane" star showed up on "The Arsenio Hall Show" sporting a huge engagement ring and explained her plan.
"The biggest difference between this time and my last marriage," Union shares. "Will be a prenup. At my insistence. If you have your own stuff, you do not need to worry about anyone else's stuff. Everyone should go into a relationship knowing 'I am here for you and you are here for me.' And reality is, I have never seen Dwyane balance a checkbook. I got to protect my stuff." She laughed and added: "It is the wave of the future. Protecting your stuff."
Union also talked about Michael Sam as the first NFL draft prospect to admit being gay. "We should praise the young people for living out loud and living their truth and living proud," she exclaimed.
Gabrielle Union also told Hall that the three-time NBA champion and Miami Heat star does not call all the shots in the relationship. She said she chooses and decides on her acting projects and Wade does not have the final say. While the couple has been dating for a couple of years now, they have not always on the best of terms.
Wade is a divorced father of two young boys, who he has both legal custody of. He also recently admitted that he fathered an infant with a woman other than Union. The couple explained that they were on a "break" when the child was conceived. According to reports, he also has legally adopted his young nephew and vowed to be the father of the child.
Union was married to retired NFL athlete Chris Howard and told Arsenio about several other milestones in her past relationships. Wade and Union have been together since 2009 and got engaged in December of 2013. Forbes has estimated that Dwyane earned around $28.9 million in 2013. Union and Wade said they are planning to tie the know in fall of 2014 but no official date has been publicly confirmed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy: Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Prince Harry Somber - Reports
- Beyonce &Jay Z Marriage Story: Bey Not Attracted to Jay, Married Him for Professional Growth - Reports
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- Khloe Kardashian Feels her Failed Marriage with Lamar Odom Helped Cause Rob Kardashian's Depression
- Andy Roddick and Mardy Fish Can't Play in the U.S. Open Due to Drug Testing Issues
- Billy Bob Thornton Want to Play Hodor in Game Of Thrones
- Fukushima Radiation Tests on Waters Along U.S. Coast Yield Negative Results
- Zac Efron Equates Boozing to a Social Stimulant, Admits Why He Checked into Rehab Last Year
- Celebrities Who Stripped Naked for Women's Health