Dwyane Wade, Gabrielle Union: 'Being Mary Jane' Star Reveals Why She Demands A Prenup Before Wedding
By Vanessa Francisco | February 12, 2014 2:44 PM EST
Gabrielle Union is walking down the aisle for the second time only this time, she is marrying NBA player Dwyane Wade and wants to make sure that everyone's finances stay straight. The "Being Mary Jane" star showed up on "The Arsenio Hall Show" sporting a huge engagement ring and explained her plan.
"The biggest difference between this time and my last marriage," Union shares. "Will be a prenup. At my insistence. If you have your own stuff, you do not need to worry about anyone else's stuff. Everyone should go into a relationship knowing 'I am here for you and you are here for me.' And reality is, I have never seen Dwyane balance a checkbook. I got to protect my stuff." She laughed and added: "It is the wave of the future. Protecting your stuff."
Union also talked about Michael Sam as the first NFL draft prospect to admit being gay. "We should praise the young people for living out loud and living their truth and living proud," she exclaimed.
Gabrielle Union also told Hall that the three-time NBA champion and Miami Heat star does not call all the shots in the relationship. She said she chooses and decides on her acting projects and Wade does not have the final say. While the couple has been dating for a couple of years now, they have not always on the best of terms.
Wade is a divorced father of two young boys, who he has both legal custody of. He also recently admitted that he fathered an infant with a woman other than Union. The couple explained that they were on a "break" when the child was conceived. According to reports, he also has legally adopted his young nephew and vowed to be the father of the child.
Union was married to retired NFL athlete Chris Howard and told Arsenio about several other milestones in her past relationships. Wade and Union have been together since 2009 and got engaged in December of 2013. Forbes has estimated that Dwyane earned around $28.9 million in 2013. Union and Wade said they are planning to tie the know in fall of 2014 but no official date has been publicly confirmed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde’s Freedom: Hollywood People Oppose TPB Founder’s Imprisonment
- 'Dancing With The Stars' (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Week 2 Spoilers: Things To Expect; Find Out Which Choreographer Is Quitting
- 'Downton Abbey' Spoilers: 'Surprising New Stories' In Season 5, George Clooney's Cameo Appearance
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown