Dwyane Wade, Gabrielle Union: 'Being Mary Jane' Star Reveals Why She Demands A Prenup Before Wedding
By Vanessa Francisco | February 12, 2014 2:44 PM EST
Gabrielle Union is walking down the aisle for the second time only this time, she is marrying NBA player Dwyane Wade and wants to make sure that everyone's finances stay straight. The "Being Mary Jane" star showed up on "The Arsenio Hall Show" sporting a huge engagement ring and explained her plan.
"The biggest difference between this time and my last marriage," Union shares. "Will be a prenup. At my insistence. If you have your own stuff, you do not need to worry about anyone else's stuff. Everyone should go into a relationship knowing 'I am here for you and you are here for me.' And reality is, I have never seen Dwyane balance a checkbook. I got to protect my stuff." She laughed and added: "It is the wave of the future. Protecting your stuff."
Union also talked about Michael Sam as the first NFL draft prospect to admit being gay. "We should praise the young people for living out loud and living their truth and living proud," she exclaimed.
Gabrielle Union also told Hall that the three-time NBA champion and Miami Heat star does not call all the shots in the relationship. She said she chooses and decides on her acting projects and Wade does not have the final say. While the couple has been dating for a couple of years now, they have not always on the best of terms.
Wade is a divorced father of two young boys, who he has both legal custody of. He also recently admitted that he fathered an infant with a woman other than Union. The couple explained that they were on a "break" when the child was conceived. According to reports, he also has legally adopted his young nephew and vowed to be the father of the child.
Union was married to retired NFL athlete Chris Howard and told Arsenio about several other milestones in her past relationships. Wade and Union have been together since 2009 and got engaged in December of 2013. Forbes has estimated that Dwyane earned around $28.9 million in 2013. Union and Wade said they are planning to tie the know in fall of 2014 but no official date has been publicly confirmed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Premiere Questions: 'Frozen' Story Kicks Off, Queen Elsa vs Emma Swan vs The Evil Queen - New Story Unfolds [SPOILERS]
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate