'The Vampire Diaries' Star Ian Somerhalder Challenges People to Save a Cup!
By Janice Somosot | February 12, 2014 2:26 PM EST
"The Vampire Diaries" (TVD) star Ian Somerhalder announced a brand new campaign from his Ian Somerhalder Foundation (ISF). This time, Somerhalder is challenging people to save a cup! No, it doesn't mean that his compassion has extended to inanimate objects such as a cup. It just means that he wants ISF supporters and hopefully, TVD fans as well, to help reduce waste by stopping the use of disposable paper cups. Instead, he suggests that people just bring reusable cups or mugs and have those filled up with your favourite beverage, be it coffee, soda, iced tea or even plain water.
Actor Ian Somerhalder arrives at the 19th annual Critics' Choice Movie Awards in Santa Monica, California January 16, 2014.
Somerhalder, who stars as vampire Damon Salvatore in CW TV's "The Vampire Diaries" (TVD), announced this paper cup challenge in his official Twitter account, along with a link to the ISF Web site with more details about the said challenge.
According to the ISF Web site, even though paper cups are seemingly better than plastic cups, they still end up as accumulated waste in landfills. Plus, contrary to popular belief, not all paper cups can be recycled because most of these are coated in polyethylene, which ISF says prevents the cup from being recycled.
ISF also mentioned that the Alliance for the Environmental Innovation has said that each manufactured paper cup creates 0.24 pounds of CO2 emissions.
The ISF Save-a-Cup campaign is asking supporters to not only use reusable mugs every time they have a drink, but also to keep a running tally of how often they do it. Also, they are asking participants of the ISF Save-a-Cup campaign to email their names and start date to Environment@isfoundation.net. Start date can be anytime up to Friday, Feb. 28, 2014.
Each week, participants of the said campaign are asked to email ISF the total number of cups that they have saved.
The ISF Save-a-Cup challenge will reportedly last for four weeks after one's personal start date. ISF will also keep a running total for all the participants of this challenge. After four weeks, ISF will inform each participant of the results.
"The Vampire Diaries" (TVD) star Ian Somerhalder not only challenges people to save a cup, but he himself will also join the ISF Save-a-Cup challenge. That's why join Ian and ISF in saving cups and saving the environment by reducing paper cup waste. Check out Ian Somerhalder's tweet about the ISF Save-a-Cup challenge:
Join me in this challenge! http://t.co/pjGVpofxff
— ian somerhalder (@iansomerhalder) February 9, 2014
'The Vampire Diaries' Star Ian Somerhalder Tweets About Lands' End Banning Angora Fur After Seeing PETA Video of Fur Farm Cruelty [WATCH VIDEO] (Click HERE)
'The Vampire Diaries' Celebrates Milestone 100th Episode: Ian Somerhalder Goes on a Radio Tour Around U.S. to Talk about It [WATCH VIDEOS] (Click HERE)
'The Vampire Diaries' Star Ian Somerhalder Promotes The Plastic Bank Which Aims to Use Plastic Waste as Currency [WATCH VIDEOS] (Click HERE)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Complex Alien Molecule May Offer Hints At Origin Of Life
- Harry Potter's Invisibility Cloak: New York Scientists Unveil A Cloaking Device [Watch Video]
- Boy Bitten By A Snake During A Visit To The Botanical Garden In Melbourne
- Eerie Reddish Glow Of October 8 Total Lunar Eclipse – Astronomer Reminds Aussies To Enjoy Photo Opp
- Australia's Rising Temperatures Have 'Definite' Links To Global Warming
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate