Canada Makes Philippines its Dumpsite
By Athena Yenko | February 12, 2014 1:53 PM EST
The Philippines Bureau of Customs was shocked to open tons of garbage shipped from Canada declared as plastic scraps. The five containers were dubious as all had foul stench which disturbed people at the Manila International Container Terminal.
According to Customs Deputy Commissioner for Enforcement Group Ariel Nepomuceno, the containers passed the first level inspection as it was declared as plastic scraps in its shipment papers. Plastic scraps are allowed to be shipped because the Philippines recycle them as plastic wares.
However, after opening the containers, they contain garbage of household waste including used adult diapers.
The containers weigh 891.200.6 kilogrammes which amounted to US$222,800.15.
With the shipment of this toxic garbage, Canada violated the Toxic Substances and Hazardous and Nuclear Wastes Control Act of 1990.
The Philippines Bureau of Customs is now in contact with the shipping firm Chronic Incorporated, with address at 95 Regency Crescent, Whitby, Ontario, Canada LIN 7K8, demanding the shipping company to ship back the containers to the point of origin. The bureau obliged the company to cover all shipment expenses.
Mr Nepomuceno said that the Philippines signed the Basel Convention, an international treaty, which restricts trafficking of waste. Under Basel Convention, all members agreed to prohibits shipment of hazardous garbage from one country to another, specifically dumping garbage from a developed country to a developing country.
The Philippine Bureau of Customs, together with the Department of Environment and Natural Resources, are now preparing criminal charges against the shipper from Canada and its consignee in the Philippines which had already been identified as Chronic Plastics.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Belgium Chocolate Maker ISIS Forced To Change Brand Name To Escape Customer Fury
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS