Canada Makes Philippines its Dumpsite
By Athena Yenko | February 12, 2014 1:53 PM EST
The Philippines Bureau of Customs was shocked to open tons of garbage shipped from Canada declared as plastic scraps. The five containers were dubious as all had foul stench which disturbed people at the Manila International Container Terminal.
According to Customs Deputy Commissioner for Enforcement Group Ariel Nepomuceno, the containers passed the first level inspection as it was declared as plastic scraps in its shipment papers. Plastic scraps are allowed to be shipped because the Philippines recycle them as plastic wares.
However, after opening the containers, they contain garbage of household waste including used adult diapers.
The containers weigh 891.200.6 kilogrammes which amounted to US$222,800.15.
With the shipment of this toxic garbage, Canada violated the Toxic Substances and Hazardous and Nuclear Wastes Control Act of 1990.
The Philippines Bureau of Customs is now in contact with the shipping firm Chronic Incorporated, with address at 95 Regency Crescent, Whitby, Ontario, Canada LIN 7K8, demanding the shipping company to ship back the containers to the point of origin. The bureau obliged the company to cover all shipment expenses.
Mr Nepomuceno said that the Philippines signed the Basel Convention, an international treaty, which restricts trafficking of waste. Under Basel Convention, all members agreed to prohibits shipment of hazardous garbage from one country to another, specifically dumping garbage from a developed country to a developing country.
The Philippine Bureau of Customs, together with the Department of Environment and Natural Resources, are now preparing criminal charges against the shipper from Canada and its consignee in the Philippines which had already been identified as Chronic Plastics.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
Join the Conversation
- British Teenager Wants Her Leg Cut To be Able To Compete At Paralympics – Watch Video
- Pope Francis, Catholic Church Key To Climate Change Effort
- Passengers Shouted 'Shame' On Pak Politician For Delaying Flight And Barred Him From Boarding
- Aussie Teen Allegedly Stabbed Man to Death in Late Night Brawl
- Stephanie Boudoin: 21-Year-Old Nursing Student Faces 114 Burglary Charges, Becomes Latest 'World's Sexiest Criminal' After Attractive Convict Jeremy Meeks
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border
- Xiaomi Mi4 v. Moto X (2014) – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown