Sochi 2014: Winners of Women’s Luge Event, First Time that Three World Champions Won the Medals in Women’s Luge Olympics History
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 12, 2014 1:24 PM EST
The Women's Luge event at the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics has concluded. Germany's Natalie Geisenberger and Tatjana Huefner snagged the gold and silver medals, respectively, while U.S.' Erin made history after placing third, the first medal that U.S. has ever won in the said competition.
Have a look at the list at the top 10 finishers of the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics in Women's Singles Luge
Place Country Athlete Total Time
1 Germany Natalie Geisenberger 3:19.768
2 Germany Tatjana Huefner 3:20.907
3 U.S. Erin Hamlin 3:21.145
4 Canada Alex Gough 3:21.578
5 Canada Kimberley McRae 3:21.895
6 Germany Anke Wischnewski 3:21.960
7 Russia Tatyana Ivanova 3:22.006
8 Russia Natalia Khoreva 3:22.067
9 Switzerland Martina Kocher 3:22.166
10 U.S. Kate Hansen 3:22.667
Geisenberger defeated her teammate, Huefner, who was the gold medalist in the 2010 Olympics, by 1.139 seconds. It was the second-largest winning margin of Women's Luge competition in the history of Olympics, Sporting News reported. According to the Web site, this is the first time that three world champions won the medals in the history of the said event. Hamlin won in 2009, Huefner won four times from 2007 to 2012, and Geisenberger won in 2013.
Geisenberger was happy with how she performed in the competition. "Runs one, two, and three were nearly perfect," Geisenberger told ESPN. "The last one was a little bit, wasn't perfect, but it was good enough," she added.
Hamlin finished her run 0.236 seconds behind Huefner. She was extremely blissful for such accomplishment, not only for her career, but for her country as well.
"I'm stoked," said Hamlin. She had to wriggle with a new start after the 2010 Vancouver Olympics when officials became stringent after a tragic training accident that claimed the life of Republic of Georgia's Nodar Kumaritashvili.
"I was really disappointed, and I knew that's not how I wanted my Olympic legacy to end," Hamlin said. She said that winning in the event, even at third place, is super motivating to her. She said that Luge isn't really big sport in the U.S., and she is optimistic that her victory will somehow give it a lift.
"Hopefully, this gives it a boost."
"I'm happy to pave the way to the future." Hamlin said that she was really glad to become the instrument so that the sport will be noticed. "We get a little more attention, some more funding so we can spread the numbers and get a lot more kids involved," she said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones