Canadian Dad Bids Final Goodbye to Brain-dead Pregnant Wife After Son’s Birth
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 12, 2014 1:18 PM EST
It was a bittersweet ending for first-time dad Dylan Benson. On Saturday, he held for the first time his son baby Iver after doctors performed a C section on his mother and extracted him. On Sunday, Dylan made a final goodbye to Robyn who had been brain-dead since December but had to be put on life support just so her son, whom she will never get to see, would have a better chance of survival.
A baby boy the length of a palm is seen inside an incubator in this posed picture taken at a hospital in Xi'an, Shaanxi province, December 11, 2013.
"It is with a heavy heart but also with extreme proudness that I am posting this update," Mr Benson wrote on his personal blog on Monday. "On Saturday evening, my beautiful and amazing son, Iver Cohen Benson, was born. Iver is healthy and is the cutest and most precious person I have ever met."
"On the first day I got to go see him, he squeezed my finger with his tiny little hand ... pretty amazing."
He was married to Robyn for only seven months when the tragedy occurred.
"I miss Robyn more than words can explain. I could not be more impressed with her strength, and I am so lucky to have known her," he wrote. "She will live on forever within Iver, and in my heart."
Just into her fifth month pregnancy, Robyn complained of a headache just before collapsing from a brain hemorrhage in late December. She was rushed to hospital unresponsive. The next day, doctors declared her brain-dead.
"I don't think I have the right words to describe it," Mr Benson told Vancouver Sun. "It's the best and definitely the worst thing to ever happen to me in my life at the same time."
Weighing 2 pounds and 13 ounces, Iver was born just after 28 weeks in Robyn's womb.
Doctors in Victoria, British Columbia, kept Robyn alive in consideration of the unborn fetus, until such time that baby Iver can be born.
"It was just ... it was time. Robyn held on as long as she could," Mr Benson said. "It was relieving to finally have him here and so comforting to be able to hold him."
"It's been a crazy roller-coaster of emotion recently and it's so bittersweet. I'm so happy to have him here and so sad to not have Robyn."
Dylan and Robyn were high school sweethearts. They dated for 16 years and were finally married only in July 2013.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Alien Mystery: The Most Famous Unexplained Alien Abduction Cases (Watch Video)
- University of Waterloo U Study Recommends Best Sex Positions To Ease Back Pain During Lovemaking
- Aurora Borealis Paints A Beautiful Picture On The Northern Skies [Watch Video]
- West Seattle Man Accuses Stranger Obese Woman Of Rape While He Was Asleep
- Lady Gaga Wants David Bowie To Perform With Her In Space
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date