Valentine's Day 2014: Aussies' Spending for Valentine's Day Expected to Increase this Year
By Christine Lazaro | February 12, 2014 11:07 AM EST
Consumers from Down Under spend millions of dollars on various items and experiences, all for Valentine's Day. In fact, the forecasted expenditure of Australians for the coming hearts' day is $791.4 million.
The figure stated was researched and analysed by IBISWorld. It discovered that this year's expected expenditure will be up by 1.8 percent compared to that of 2013. Its analysis also found that an average Aussie consumer can spend up to $86 for their date or romantic partner through expensive gift items.
An article written by Smart Company noted how the GM of IBISWorld, Karen Dobie, emphasised that costly items are on top of the list of Valentine's gift ideas for the majority of Aussies. Ms Dobie added that this is because gift items like flowers and chocolates are considered to be the next best option only if the consumer cannot afford a sweet dinner for two or even a luxurious getaway.
The research also informed that Australians spend up to $42.3 million on restaurants, up from $34 million last year. Jewellery sellers are also expected to rake in more sales on the 14th, with forecast growth that will reach $40.5 million this year. Premium accessories and fashionable items are also turning out to be ideal alternatives for the usual Valentine's day gift items of flowers and chocolates.
And with the hearts' day occasion falling on a Friday this year, it is predicted that Aussie couples will most probably settle for romantic getaways to make the most out of the long weekend.
On the other hand, the Valentine's Day gifts that are expected to be on a low are lingerie and clothing. High cost and the risk of choosing the wrong style and size for the recipient are the two main reasons for this decline.
For those looking for other things or experiences to give their loved one, here are other gift ideas for Valentine's Day. No matter how expensive, or not, a gift can be, adding a personal touch like a simple note would surely touch hearts this hearts' day.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Baby Corpses Found in Storage Locker in Canada
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- ISIS Taking U.S.-Airdropped Weapons An 'Embarrassment'; Another Yazidi Massacre Looming [VIDEO]
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]