Valentine's Day 2014: Aussies' Spending for Valentine's Day Expected to Increase this Year
By Christine Lazaro | February 12, 2014 11:07 AM EST
Consumers from Down Under spend millions of dollars on various items and experiences, all for Valentine's Day. In fact, the forecasted expenditure of Australians for the coming hearts' day is $791.4 million.
The figure stated was researched and analysed by IBISWorld. It discovered that this year's expected expenditure will be up by 1.8 percent compared to that of 2013. Its analysis also found that an average Aussie consumer can spend up to $86 for their date or romantic partner through expensive gift items.
An article written by Smart Company noted how the GM of IBISWorld, Karen Dobie, emphasised that costly items are on top of the list of Valentine's gift ideas for the majority of Aussies. Ms Dobie added that this is because gift items like flowers and chocolates are considered to be the next best option only if the consumer cannot afford a sweet dinner for two or even a luxurious getaway.
The research also informed that Australians spend up to $42.3 million on restaurants, up from $34 million last year. Jewellery sellers are also expected to rake in more sales on the 14th, with forecast growth that will reach $40.5 million this year. Premium accessories and fashionable items are also turning out to be ideal alternatives for the usual Valentine's day gift items of flowers and chocolates.
And with the hearts' day occasion falling on a Friday this year, it is predicted that Aussie couples will most probably settle for romantic getaways to make the most out of the long weekend.
On the other hand, the Valentine's Day gifts that are expected to be on a low are lingerie and clothing. High cost and the risk of choosing the wrong style and size for the recipient are the two main reasons for this decline.
For those looking for other things or experiences to give their loved one, here are other gift ideas for Valentine's Day. No matter how expensive, or not, a gift can be, adding a personal touch like a simple note would surely touch hearts this hearts' day.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- UFO Sightings: Mysterious Bright Lights Spotted Flashing over Toronto, Witnesses Share UFO Sighting Experience on Social Media [VIDEO]
- 'Watch the MH17 Plane Missile Hit Video Tape in Mobile' Goes Viral on Facebook
- Australia Ranks High in Human Development Index But Scores Low in Climate Change
- UN Vows to Bring MH17 Crash Perpetrators to Justice; Downing of Plane a 'War Crime'
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Parents of Australian Passenger Want ‘Space Scientists’ to Investigate Crash; Believe in ‘Possibility’ of Survival -- Report
- Childhood Obesity is Strongly Linked With Early Puberty: Study Reveals
- Why Internet of Things is the Next Big Thing for Tech Giants like Samsung, Google and Apple
- Instagram's Newest App Bolt Now Available Exclusively in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
- Megan Fox's Weight Loss Aided by Low Carb Paleo Diet: Benefits of the Diet