Valentine's Day 2014: Aussies' Spending for Valentine's Day Expected to Increase this Year
By Christine Lazaro | February 12, 2014 11:07 AM EST
Consumers from Down Under spend millions of dollars on various items and experiences, all for Valentine's Day. In fact, the forecasted expenditure of Australians for the coming hearts' day is $791.4 million.
The figure stated was researched and analysed by IBISWorld. It discovered that this year's expected expenditure will be up by 1.8 percent compared to that of 2013. Its analysis also found that an average Aussie consumer can spend up to $86 for their date or romantic partner through expensive gift items.
An article written by Smart Company noted how the GM of IBISWorld, Karen Dobie, emphasised that costly items are on top of the list of Valentine's gift ideas for the majority of Aussies. Ms Dobie added that this is because gift items like flowers and chocolates are considered to be the next best option only if the consumer cannot afford a sweet dinner for two or even a luxurious getaway.
The research also informed that Australians spend up to $42.3 million on restaurants, up from $34 million last year. Jewellery sellers are also expected to rake in more sales on the 14th, with forecast growth that will reach $40.5 million this year. Premium accessories and fashionable items are also turning out to be ideal alternatives for the usual Valentine's day gift items of flowers and chocolates.
And with the hearts' day occasion falling on a Friday this year, it is predicted that Aussie couples will most probably settle for romantic getaways to make the most out of the long weekend.
On the other hand, the Valentine's Day gifts that are expected to be on a low are lingerie and clothing. High cost and the risk of choosing the wrong style and size for the recipient are the two main reasons for this decline.
For those looking for other things or experiences to give their loved one, here are other gift ideas for Valentine's Day. No matter how expensive, or not, a gift can be, adding a personal touch like a simple note would surely touch hearts this hearts' day.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- 63-Year-Old Admits He Has Made Love To More Than 700 Cars But Now Remains Faithful To Just One Beetle
- Top Fake News Websites - Be Aware Or Beware
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar