Men and Women Prefer Sex on Valentine's than Expensive Gift – Survey Finds
By Athena Yenko | February 12, 2014 10:24 AM EST
A survey from RetailMeNot.com hinted that two-thirds of men and 30 per cent of women prefer having sex for the Valentine's Day over receiving and giving expensive gifts.
The Chase Blueprint Valentine's Survey, on the other hand, found that men expect their loved ones to spend at least $230 on gifts for them, while women expect that the men will spend at least $196 for them.
Those who are in a relationship expect to spend $240 on a date. Women asked during the survey said that they are willing to chip in on a date, at least $27, while the guy said they are willing to pay $98. This only goes to show that both men and women both want to spend less than what they are expecting to spend for them.
"Setting expectations for Valentine's Day spending is just one way to begin talking about finances with your significant other. Having an open and honest conversation about your financial expectations and priorities is a key to successfully managing money in any relationship," said Tom O'Donnell, senior vice president for Chase.
The survey also found that 70 per cent of the respondents still love being surprised; prefer chocolate over flowers, gadgets over jewelry and dinner out over a home-cooked meal.
In another survey from The National Retail Federation, which was participated by more than 6,400 people, found that those who were planning an out-of-town rendezvous were expecting to spend less than $134.
Also, fewer people express enthusiasm in celebrating the Valentine's Day this year compared to last year - 54 per cent in 2014, 60 per cent in 2013. But, there were still 60 per cent who give gifts to family members, 22 per cent buy gifts for friends and 20 per cent get gifts for their pets.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- Asylum Seeker Women in Australia-Run Christmas Island Attempt Suicide in Desperation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown