Samsung Galaxy S5 Hardware Round-up: What to Expect on Feb 24
By Precious Silva | February 12, 2014 10:05 AM EST
Earlier last week, Samsung reportedly sent out invites for its "Unpacked 5" event on Feb 24. Reports suggest the Korean tech giant will unveil its flagship phone, Samsung Galaxy S5, during the event. There have been countless reports about the specs of the device. A round-up of the leaks and reported features should give consumers a good idea of what to expect from the next handset. Can the Samsung Galaxy S5 deliver better sales than the Galaxy S4?
Despite being recognised as one of the most powerful smartphones around, the Samsung Galaxy S4 did not meet forecasted sales. Analysts believe this is the reason Samsung wants to release its next flagship phone ahead of the competition. Apple's iPhone 6 will come later in the year.
According to a report by Extreme Tech, the Samsung Galaxy S5 will feature an ultra-high resolution screen offering possibly 2,560 x 1,440 resolution. The device will also come with a biometric scanner (iris or fingerprint) including an all new aluminium chassis. Despite the announcement in February, analysts believe the smartphone will hit stores around March.
Here is a rundown of all the reported hardware specs for the upcoming flagship phone:
- Higher screen resolution at 2,560 x 1,440 with pixel density of 560 ppi
- Bigger screen at 5 inches
- SoC but not a 64-bit
- 4 GB RAM, which, according to reports, may be the first for smartphones.
One of the most talked about features of the Samsung Galaxy S5 is the chassis. Reports say it will be a whole lot different from its predecessors. Majority of sources agree that the device will have a metal body and back. This will give the device a premium look, enough to rival HTC One and Apple's iPhone 5s.
According to a report by Phandroid last Feb 10, the company will likely release two versions: prime and standard. The two models appeared in AnTuTu benchmarks. Specifically, the Samsung SM-G900R4 (U.S. Cellular) and a SM-G900H (Europe) were spotted in AnTuTu. The devices reportedly posted completely different specs. The U.S. cellular model features 2K display, 3 GB RAM, Snapdragon 800 processor,13 MP/2 MP cameras and 32 GB internal storage. The international model features 1,080p, 2 GB RAM, Exynos 5422 octa-core processor and 16 GB internal storage.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Samsung Galaxy Mega 2 Reportedly Cleared by FCC: Five Fresh Features to Expect from Android Smart Phone
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. OnePlus One—Specifications, Features, Release Date and Price Showdown
- Transfer News: In Demand Everton Midfielder Silence Speculations by Penning New Deal [VIDEO]
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Reebok Launches Bacon Line to Lure CrossFit and Paleo Diet Fans
- Transfer News: Star Midfielder Pledges Future with Manchester City [VIDEO]
- ACT Party's Demand to Re Consider Maoris Privileges Evokes Reprimand