Aussie Study Warns Men With Erectile Dysfunction Have 2X Risk of Heart Attack, Stroke
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 12, 2014 9:51 AM EST
Students make a formation in the shape of a heart and a red ribbon during a HIV/AIDS awareness campaign on Valentine's Day in the northern Indian city of Chandigarh
YouTube/Dr. Bobby Lazzara
The inability of a man to rise to the occasion when in bed could be bad not only on his marriage or ego, but also his general health. A new Australian study found that men from age 20 or older who suffer from erectile dysfunction - or the inability of their penises to attain erection - have twice the risk of cardiovascular events compared to men who don't have ED.
The events include ischemic heart disease, peripheral vascular disease and other heart conditions for males with severe ED, said Emily Banks from the National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health in Australia.
The study had more than 95,000 participants who filled up a postal questionnaire that had a question on the erectile functioning of their reproductive organ.
The information gained allowed the researchers to define ED as none, mild, moderate or severe.
The study, published in PLOS Medicine journal, urged men suffering from ED, even those considered mild or moderate, to be screened and treated for any cardiovascular diseases.
Another study published in the Journal of Sexual Medicine found that 25 per cent of men who sought help for ED are below 40 years old. Irwin Goldstein, editor-in-chief of the journal, explained that ED is a marker for overall cardiovascular function.
The second study had almost 500 male respondents who visited an outpatient clinic between 2010 and 2012. About one-fourth of them were below 40, weren't obese, had low blood levels of testosterone and fewer medication conditions compared to older males. But most of them were frequent smokers and even users of illegal drugs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Enhanced Footage Of NASA's Tether Incident Proves Aliens Exist, Say UFO Believers And Experts [Watch Video]
- Fung-Wong More Like Ketsana Than Haiyan; Kills 1, Displaces 470,000 Filipinos & Paralyses Metro Manila
- Philippines’s Mayon Volcano Shoots Lava & Hot Boulders
- Asteroid That Killed Dinosaurs Are Responsible For A Greener Earth
- It’s Haiyan All Over Again As Philippines Grapples With Heavy Rain, Floods
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown