‘Sunrise’ Host David Koch Lashes Out At Seven Network For $2M Schapelle Corby Interview
By Anne Lu | February 12, 2014 9:43 AM EST
“Sunrise” presenter David Koch slammed his own network for paying convicted drug smuggler Schapelle Corby $2 million for an exclusive interview. The breakfast show host said Seven Network should not pay the recently paroled Australian because she’s a convict.
On Tuesday’s show, Koch couldn’t contain his true feelings about the alleged $2 million deal Seven made with Corby for a tell-all interview following her release from a prison in Indonesia.
Corby was convicted of carrying 4.1 kilos of marijuana in Bali in 2005. On Friday, February 7, it was announced that she has been granted parole, nine years after she was jailed.
She won’t be able to go home in Gold Coast just yet, though. Under the terms of her parole, she must remain in Bali until her sentence expires in 2016, and stay one more year under supervision, which means she would be free to go home in Australia in 2017.
She is expected to live with her sister Mercedes, who lives in Kuta, Southern Bali until then.
Following the news of her parole, Seven reportedly made a deal with her for an exclusive tell-all interview for a whopping $2 million.
Although it’s a huge amount, it is expected that the network would be able to hit high ratings with the interview.
Koch wasn’t so thrilled with his home network’s move, though. He lashed out at Seven, saying it shouldn’t have made a deal with a criminal.
“I reckon we should have nothing to do with her as a network. Totally disagree with paying a convicted drug smuggler $2 million,” he said, to which his co-host Samantha Armytage only replied, “Too late for that.”
He added, “I know Indonesia’s corrupt and all that sort of stuff, but you know, she’s convicted so why pay the money?”
He also couldn’t resist answering some viewers’ Twitter jibes, even retweeting a post that wished him fired for his comments against the network.
— david koch (@kochie_online) February 10, 2014
“@thebendingone: Hey I'd love to hear @kochie_online explain moral justification for paying a convicted drug dealer her story” you just did — david koch (@kochie_online) February 10, 2014
Yes I have view on Corby(wife has opposite) but keep in perspective. All media groups want her story,will be intriguing,but not end of world
— david koch (@kochie_online) February 11, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 4: San Francisco Giants 11, Kansas City Royals 4 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- This Is Why Japanese Princess Masako Attended First Palace Banquet After 11 Years
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Update: Louise And Blake To Make Their First Appearance As A Couple In Australia
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles