‘Sunrise’ Host David Koch Lashes Out At Seven Network For $2M Schapelle Corby Interview
By Anne Lu | February 12, 2014 9:43 AM EST
“Sunrise” presenter David Koch slammed his own network for paying convicted drug smuggler Schapelle Corby $2 million for an exclusive interview. The breakfast show host said Seven Network should not pay the recently paroled Australian because she’s a convict.
On Tuesday’s show, Koch couldn’t contain his true feelings about the alleged $2 million deal Seven made with Corby for a tell-all interview following her release from a prison in Indonesia.
Corby was convicted of carrying 4.1 kilos of marijuana in Bali in 2005. On Friday, February 7, it was announced that she has been granted parole, nine years after she was jailed.
She won’t be able to go home in Gold Coast just yet, though. Under the terms of her parole, she must remain in Bali until her sentence expires in 2016, and stay one more year under supervision, which means she would be free to go home in Australia in 2017.
She is expected to live with her sister Mercedes, who lives in Kuta, Southern Bali until then.
Following the news of her parole, Seven reportedly made a deal with her for an exclusive tell-all interview for a whopping $2 million.
Although it’s a huge amount, it is expected that the network would be able to hit high ratings with the interview.
Koch wasn’t so thrilled with his home network’s move, though. He lashed out at Seven, saying it shouldn’t have made a deal with a criminal.
“I reckon we should have nothing to do with her as a network. Totally disagree with paying a convicted drug smuggler $2 million,” he said, to which his co-host Samantha Armytage only replied, “Too late for that.”
He added, “I know Indonesia’s corrupt and all that sort of stuff, but you know, she’s convicted so why pay the money?”
He also couldn’t resist answering some viewers’ Twitter jibes, even retweeting a post that wished him fired for his comments against the network.
— david koch (@kochie_online) February 10, 2014
“@thebendingone: Hey I'd love to hear @kochie_online explain moral justification for paying a convicted drug dealer her story” you just did — david koch (@kochie_online) February 10, 2014
Yes I have view on Corby(wife has opposite) but keep in perspective. All media groups want her story,will be intriguing,but not end of world
— david koch (@kochie_online) February 11, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- Nina Dobrev Moves On From Ian Somerhalder: ‘TVD’ Actress Trying To Reconcile With Ex, ‘DWTS’ Star Derek Hough—Report Suggests
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Casting: Brothel Guard, Military Officer And More
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Skyler Samuels Roped In To Play Pivotal Role, Extended Teaser Released [VIDEO]
- ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Season 11 Premiere (Episode 1) Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘I Must Have Lost It On The Wind'
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design