‘Sunrise’ Host David Koch Lashes Out At Seven Network For $2M Schapelle Corby Interview
By Anne Lu | February 12, 2014 9:43 AM EST
“Sunrise” presenter David Koch slammed his own network for paying convicted drug smuggler Schapelle Corby $2 million for an exclusive interview. The breakfast show host said Seven Network should not pay the recently paroled Australian because she’s a convict.
On Tuesday’s show, Koch couldn’t contain his true feelings about the alleged $2 million deal Seven made with Corby for a tell-all interview following her release from a prison in Indonesia.
Corby was convicted of carrying 4.1 kilos of marijuana in Bali in 2005. On Friday, February 7, it was announced that she has been granted parole, nine years after she was jailed.
She won’t be able to go home in Gold Coast just yet, though. Under the terms of her parole, she must remain in Bali until her sentence expires in 2016, and stay one more year under supervision, which means she would be free to go home in Australia in 2017.
She is expected to live with her sister Mercedes, who lives in Kuta, Southern Bali until then.
Following the news of her parole, Seven reportedly made a deal with her for an exclusive tell-all interview for a whopping $2 million.
Although it’s a huge amount, it is expected that the network would be able to hit high ratings with the interview.
Koch wasn’t so thrilled with his home network’s move, though. He lashed out at Seven, saying it shouldn’t have made a deal with a criminal.
“I reckon we should have nothing to do with her as a network. Totally disagree with paying a convicted drug smuggler $2 million,” he said, to which his co-host Samantha Armytage only replied, “Too late for that.”
He added, “I know Indonesia’s corrupt and all that sort of stuff, but you know, she’s convicted so why pay the money?”
He also couldn’t resist answering some viewers’ Twitter jibes, even retweeting a post that wished him fired for his comments against the network.
— david koch (@kochie_online) February 10, 2014
“@thebendingone: Hey I'd love to hear @kochie_online explain moral justification for paying a convicted drug dealer her story” you just did — david koch (@kochie_online) February 10, 2014
Yes I have view on Corby(wife has opposite) but keep in perspective. All media groups want her story,will be intriguing,but not end of world
— david koch (@kochie_online) February 11, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Mila Kunis-Ashton Kutcher Baby; Actor ‘Not Letting Mila Out Of His Sight’
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Exclusive New Trailer, Charlie Hunnam Is Guy Ritchie’s Choice For King Arthur [VIDEO]
- ‘Castle’ Update: Watch Stana Katic, Jon, Seamus Take Bucket Challenge At Season 7 Set, Nathan Fillion Missing [VIDEOS]
- ‘Fast and Furious’ 7 New Car Revealed To Be a Humvee
- Hilarious Reactions For Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Secret Wedding: George Clooney, Jennifer Aniston, Billy Bob Thornton
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Windows 9 To Include Interactive Live Tiles and Notification Center in Metro 2.0