Despite Having 7 Kids, Aussie Parents of Unborn Baby With 2 Faces, 2 Brains Refuse to Abort Child (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 12, 2014 9:27 AM EST
Italian woman had her baby forcibly removed by caesarean section by Essex social workers. (Reuters Picture)
In an unusual display of unconditional love - an apt theme for this month of love - a couple from Sydney, Australia, decided to push through with the pregnancy of the wife despite the unborn baby having 2 faces and 2 brain, but one body.
Doctors have advised Renee Young and Simon Howie to abort the child because it would be seen as a freak when it comes out to the world, but the would-be parents insist on keeping their eighth offspring.
The baby has the condition called craniofacial hyperhidrosis or diprosopus. It is an extreme form of conjoined twins and so rare that only 35 cases are on record and none survived.
The couple, who live with their seven other children in a public housing project in Tregear, Sydney, shared their heartwarming and unusual story with Nine Network TV show, A Current Affair.
Three-dimensional scans of the unborn baby showed the child has two legs, two arms, one body with one double-vaulted skull and two faces that has an exact duplicate of eyes, nose and mouth. The two brains of the child are connected to one brain stem. Click here to see the 3-D scan images.
Ms Young recalled being shocked when the sonographer showed them the ultrasound results which revealed the different physical features of their eighth child. She and her husband rejected the physicians' advice to terminate her pregnancy, but instead vowed to surround the child with people who would love the different baby.
The couple, whose other kids range from teenagers to the current youngest still using a high chair, cited moral grounds as the basis of their difficult but brave decision.
Mr Howie explained, quoted by Mail Online, "We thought it was the same as bringing home a child with autism or Down syndrome. I don't really believe in terminating a baby if it's healthy and growing fine."
Dr Greg Kesby, a maternal foetal specialist, had warned the couple that even if the baby survives birth, treatment would be very expensive. Ms Young said they are willing to return to work, if necessary, to pay for the expected high cost of keeping their eighth child alive.
She is on a disability pension due to severe rheumatoid arthritis, while Mr Howie draws a carer's pension.
YouTube/The Showbiz 411
When told that Lali, the last baby born with the same condition in 2008 in a remote Indian village died two months after her birth, Ms Young replied, "If I only get two days with the baby, I only get two days."
Jess, one of the couple's teenage daughters, added, "We'll love it no matter what ... It might be deformative, but it's still a baby. It's still a human."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- Final 2014 Solar Eclipse: When And How To Safely View It Plus Where To Watch Online Via Live Stream
- Britons Advised to Brace for Strong Hurricane Gonzalo Bearing Winds Up to 75mph; Affects Flights, Train Services
- MH370 Search Update: Australian Scientist Has Reportedly Found A Solution To The Mystery Of Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’