Muslim Cleric In Sydney Arrested For Solemnising Marriage Of A 13-Year-Old Girl
By Anne Lu | February 12, 2014 8:48 AM EST
A Muslim cleric in Sydney has been charged over allegedly solemnising an illegal marriage of a 13-year-old girl. The 35-year-old from the Hunter region was arrested outside Parramatta Police Station Monday afternoon.
He was charged with solemnisation of a marriage by an unauthorised person, and was released on strict bail conditions. He is due to appear in Parramatta Local Court on April 2.
The unnamed man solemnised the marriage between the girl and a 26-year-old Lebanese man earlier in 2014. The Lebanese national is currently in custody after being charged with child sex offences.
Police told ABC News that the couple met when the girl was only 12 in the Hunter region, where the man apparently began a sexual relationship with her. He was charged with 25 counts of sexual intercourse with a child between 10 and 14 years old.
Their relationship was only exposed when the man tried to enrol the girl at a high school. The girl’s parents were also questioned. Police believe that they had a hand in arranging their daughter’s marriage.
“We’re still investigating the matter, it’s only early days. We only received the allegation on, I think it was last Thursday,” detective inspector Peter Yeomans from the Child Abuse Squad was quoted by ABC as saying.
“But there may be other persons charged or even further charges in relation to people who have already been charged in relation to this.”
Because of the girl’s young age, the marriage has no legal standing in Australia.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Woman Accuses Labor Leader of 1986 Rape When She was 16; Shorten Admits Being Probed But Says He Was Cleared
- Sydney Fashion Designer Jodhi Meares’ Driver License Suspended for Drunk-Driving
- Intelligence Agencies Hunt for James Foley Beheader Using Voice Recognition Technology, Journalist Was Warned by GlobalPost Editor Not to Go to Libya
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao KOs Philippine Taxman as Supreme Court Stops Agency from Requiring P4.2 Billion Surety Bond from Champ
- British PM David Cameron Cuts Short Summer Holiday to Lead Hunt for Foley Beheader; Abbott Calls Decapitation ‘Pure Evil’
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4Guide: Installation and When to Hit Your Region
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch