Arnold Schwarzenegger Death Hoax: RIP Facebook Page Added Fuel to Rumor
By Johnlee Varghese | February 12, 2014 1:56 AM EST
A rumor, kickstarted by the Global Associated News, claiming actor and former California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger is dead, following a snowboard accident in Switzerland, gained much momentum especially after a fan put up a RIP Arnold Schwarzenegger Facebook page.
The report said:"Actor Arnold Schwarzenegger is reported to have died shortly after a snowboard accident earlier today - 11 February 2014."
This will be second time this year that a death hoax on Schwarzenegger has been reported. The first fake death news on the actor surfaced last Sunday.
Though it has been established that Schwarzenegger's death is just another hoax, the news still continues to make its way around the internet. Many even paid tributes to the actor-politician on social media platforms.
Media Mass also confirmed that hoax news and stated: "Rumors of the actor's alleged demise gained traction on Sunday after a 'R.I.P. Arnold Schwarzenegger' Facebook page attracted nearly one million of 'likes'." The Facebook page was taken down.
The hoax claimed that the actor died shortly after a snowboard accident during his vacation at the Zermatt ski resort in Switzerland with family and friends. The report, quoting eye witnesses, stated: "He lost control of his snowboard and struck a tree at a high speed." Interestingly, the storyline sounds quite similar to the tragedy that befell fomer F1 racer Michael Schumacher. The news report stated that Schwarzenegger died while being flown to the hospital.
It has now come to light that Global Associated News is responsible for majority of the false reports. The site was developed by Atlanta-based web entrepreneur Rich Hoover. The website is a front for Fake a Wish, which allows users to type in a celeb's name and generate death headlines.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories