Shirley Temple Black Dies of Natural Causes at 85; Latest Reactions from Celebrities
By Raymond Ronamai | February 12, 2014 12:58 AM EST
Actress and former American diplomat Shirley Temple Black died at her residence in California on Monday night. She was 85.
The actress died of natural causes at 10:57pm, at her home in Woodside, California on Monday, according to a statement from her family.
Actress Shirley Temple Black waves as she accepts the Screen Actors Guild Life Achievement Award at the 12th annual Screen Actors Guild Awards in Los Angeles, California in this January 29, 2006.
"She was surrounded by her family and caregivers," said the statement. "We salute her for a life of remarkable achievements as an actor, as a diplomat, and most importantly as our beloved mother, grandmother, great-grandmother and adored wife for 45 years of the late and much missed Charles Alden Black."
Tributes have started pouring in following the news of Shirley's demise.
Whoopi Goldberg: "The Good Ship Lollypop has sailed today with Shirley Temple aboard a true 1 of a kind. If you don't know her.. google or YouTube her. R.I.P."
Alastair Stewart: "In mourning Shirley Temple,the Disney child-star,remember,too,the unlikely diplomat:Ghana, UN & Czechoslovakia. Hope, yet, for Mylie Cyrus ?"
Olivia Munn: "Rest in peace Shirley Temple. The world is so much brighter because you were in it..."
John Barrowman: "RIP Shirley Temple thanks for all the wonderful movies. Jb"
Born on 23 April 1928, Shirley started her acting career in 1932 at a tender age of three, and shot to fame the following year through the film "Bright Eyes." She won a special Academy Juvenile Award in 1935 for her outstanding contribution as a child artist, becoming the youngest person to receive an Oscar, a record which stands till this day.
She acted in about 43 feature films including "Bright Eyes", "Stand Up and Cheer" and "Curly Top", before retiring from films in 1950 at the age of 22.
Shirley married John Agar, an Army Air Corps sergeant, in 1945 when she was just 17 but they divorced after four years of marriage. She then married Charles Alden Black, a United States Navy officer during World War II, in 1950. They were married for 54 years until Black's death in 2005.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘America's Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Winner: Betting Odds And Judges Predict Who Could Win The Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Nine Moments From Episode 1, The Locomotion Interruption
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2 Preview: Sam’s Fairy Tale Date, Belly Dancing Time, Who Exits
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Finale Performance Episode Recap, Spoilers: 6 Finalists Perform Their Last Acts To Win Finals
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet