Shirley Temple Black Dies of Natural Causes at 85; Latest Reactions from Celebrities
By Raymond Ronamai | February 12, 2014 12:58 AM EST
Actress and former American diplomat Shirley Temple Black died at her residence in California on Monday night. She was 85.
The actress died of natural causes at 10:57pm, at her home in Woodside, California on Monday, according to a statement from her family.
Actress Shirley Temple Black waves as she accepts the Screen Actors Guild Life Achievement Award at the 12th annual Screen Actors Guild Awards in Los Angeles, California in this January 29, 2006.
"She was surrounded by her family and caregivers," said the statement. "We salute her for a life of remarkable achievements as an actor, as a diplomat, and most importantly as our beloved mother, grandmother, great-grandmother and adored wife for 45 years of the late and much missed Charles Alden Black."
Tributes have started pouring in following the news of Shirley's demise.
Whoopi Goldberg: "The Good Ship Lollypop has sailed today with Shirley Temple aboard a true 1 of a kind. If you don't know her.. google or YouTube her. R.I.P."
Alastair Stewart: "In mourning Shirley Temple,the Disney child-star,remember,too,the unlikely diplomat:Ghana, UN & Czechoslovakia. Hope, yet, for Mylie Cyrus ?"
Olivia Munn: "Rest in peace Shirley Temple. The world is so much brighter because you were in it..."
John Barrowman: "RIP Shirley Temple thanks for all the wonderful movies. Jb"
Born on 23 April 1928, Shirley started her acting career in 1932 at a tender age of three, and shot to fame the following year through the film "Bright Eyes." She won a special Academy Juvenile Award in 1935 for her outstanding contribution as a child artist, becoming the youngest person to receive an Oscar, a record which stands till this day.
She acted in about 43 feature films including "Bright Eyes", "Stand Up and Cheer" and "Curly Top", before retiring from films in 1950 at the age of 22.
Shirley married John Agar, an Army Air Corps sergeant, in 1945 when she was just 17 but they divorced after four years of marriage. She then married Charles Alden Black, a United States Navy officer during World War II, in 1950. They were married for 54 years until Black's death in 2005.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions