Rafael Nadal Doping? Spaniard Accused of Injecting PED at Locker Room During Australian Open Finals
By Lou Ramon Aguila | February 11, 2014 11:11 PM EST
The news about Rafael Nadal being linked to doping isn't new. For the last five years, the world's no.1 netter has endured accusations of taking performance enhancing drugs to give him a significant advantage during his matches. However, the latest accusation from long time critic Christopher Rochus could be the most blatant shot to Nadal yet.
Rochus, a former professional tennis player and the brother of Belgian netter Oliver Rochus, openly attacked Nadal during his championship match with Stanislas Wawrinka at the 2014 Australian Open. Serving as one of the anchors for Sports Euro's Australian Open coverage, Rochus accused the badly-hurt Nadal of faking his injury and taking 'shots' in the locker room.
"When he returned from the locker room he was limping. Then, surprisingly, he could run in the third and fourth set. Clearly left the track to get a shot," Rochus said.
Rochus, who reached his career high at no. 38 in the world rankings in 2010, received harsh criticisms from fans and several tennis players, including French netter Nicolas Mahut, who called the Belgian's comments on Nadal appalling.
As expected, Rochus came out days after to explain what he meant at that time, though he doesn't deny his allegation that Nadal indeed took a shot in the locker room.
It was not the first time Rochus attacked Nadal. In 2010, the Belgian also expressed his suspicion on Nadal and other tennis players taking advantage of ATP's lax rules on PED during an interview with LaLibre.
"Of course it is a reality. I was already said that more than ten years ago. It is a sport that has become more and more physical, so there are inevitably more temptations to take performance enhancing drugs. Now, with the Armstrong issue, we have to admit that just because someone has never tested positive, it doesn't mean that person has never doped.
"When one can afford good doctors to do personal research, it is possible to take undetectable drugs. So in my opinion, anti-doping controls are useless and they really don't prove anything. Regarding Nadal, those rumors are rumors even if everyone has the same question: How can you be so strong in Roland Garros and one month later, you are apparently unable to play? That's why it looks so suspicious, but we have no proof. Maybe he really is injured," Rochus said.
Nadal, who already withdrew from the tournament in Buenos Aires due to his ailing back problems, is expected to return just in time for the Indian Wells and Miami Masters later this month.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Minnesota Timberwolves 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Wiggins-Rubio Era In Minneapolis Begins
- Dallas Mavericks 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Nowitzki, Ellis Has New Shooting Partner In Parsons
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored